How to get small kids active?

Options
124»

Replies

• honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get a trampoline. A friend of mine's 11 year old son died from a trampoline accident two years ago. He was a budding musician and was a lovely active child. His father is a musician and now holds a musical festival in his son's name every year. It's called Tristenfest.

Also, homeowner's insurance rates can be higher if you have a trampoline or a pool.

My son was never very athletic. While he was in the outfield in baseball, he would rather pick daisies than worry about the ball. I didn't ridicule him though. It's important not to make them feel bad about it or pressure them, or they will be more against it.

The only thing my son ever found an interest in is lifting weights. And karate, but he didn't go very far with that because it is expensive. But he is 25 now and goes to the gym and enjoys lifting. Some people are not very athletic. The more important thing in my opinion, is teaching them how to eat and get their mind off of eating if they are bored.
  • Misty1480
    Misty1480 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try going on weekend family hikes in nature. Find local trails and go. Cheap, easy family time. Just bring layers of clothes, water, and healthy snacks or even a picnic.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I used to be a full-time nanny, and I still do tons of babysitting. I try to keep the kids and myself active by playing outside (they love when I chase them, then pick them up and swing them around when I catch them). The kids I nannied did kiddie soccer, gymnastics, dance, swim lessons, etc. I know those things can be expensive, but if you have access to a YMCA they have tons of great programs that keep kids active. I also play Simon Says with lots of running and jumping instructions. Someone on page 1 mentioned the game Hyperdash. Look it up on Amazon. It is so much fun, indoor or outdoor, all ages. Also, in the Oriental Trading catalog I saw an obstacle course set (hoops, rope ladder, cones, etc.) for about $40 and it looked it would be great fun to set up in the back yard.
    Don't make them feel like they are having to exercise, help them enjoy being active. I watched tons of TV as a kid, and never enjoyed being active. I didn't learn to take care of myself until I was about 26, and I wish my parents had set a better example and been active with me.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    - buy a huge trampoline for the garden and get her to go on it for an hour

- pack her in your gym bag and take her with you to workout!