finger nails

RisiM
RisiM Posts: 180 Member
This could be one just for the ladies, but since I started this 'new' way of eating six months ago, the last couple of months have been a disaster for my finger nails, peeling so much, that I can't grow them now, tried Healthy Hoof cream amongst others and just bought some OPI, is it lack of calcium, not changed household products, any ideas?

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Does sound like lack of calcium. Maybe you need to take a supplement or up your dairy? Eating the bones within canned fish is meant to be good for you too.
  • deegeyspazms
    deegeyspazms Posts: 56 Member
    An interesting topic as nails can give us an insight into how well nourished we are - the three things that I have found on the internet for strengthening nails are:

Protein - not enough protein can lead to brittle nails

Biotin: quote from Readers Digest (link below)
    "Make your nails as strong as a horse’s hooves, and take 300 micrograms of the B vitamin biotin four to six times a day. Long ago, veterinarians discovered that biotin strengthened horses’ hooves, which are made from keratin, the same substance in human nails. Swiss researchers found that people who took 2.5 milligrams of biotin a day for 5.5 months had firmer, harder nails. In a U.S. study, 63 percent of people taking biotin for brittle nails experienced an improvement."
    Sources of biotin include egg yolk (although egg white prevents absorption - argh!), swiss chard and peanuts...

Zinc - especially if you have white specks in your nails - found in dairy foods.

http://www.rd.com/health/14-tips-for-strong-and-healthy-nails/