Thinking about running...

Options
I have cut down considerably in the last few months smoking in the hopes to quit in the near future.
I am doing this because I want to gain more lung capacity to start running.
We have something called the pace way here which is a very long paved path (12 1/2 km each way) where you can run, roller blade or bike on. I biked it all last summer and have been going here and there since it got warm enough this year and have been seeing runners. I am very interested in running but I feel like I am still too overweight and top heavy to do it.
Any advice or ideas?

Replies

• angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    try starting with the couch to 5k program at coolrunning.com. It starts off with mostly walking and by the end of the 9 weeks you can run a 5k. This to make sure of if you think you're too heavy: good, supportive shoes and sports bras, listen to your body. If you can progress as fast as the program goes, that's okay. But it will get you going in the right direction. Don't be afraid!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it! Just start with small jogs and work your way up.

I've been incorporating jogs into my walks and jogging for as long as I can each time. I feel kinda topheavy as well but once you get going its not so bad (until you go too far and your tummy and boobs start to hurt from bouncing around a lot :laugh: )

Grats on cutting down on smoking. I tried so hard to cut back before I quit and I just couldn't do it.:flowerforyou:
  • MotivatedQuitta86
    Options
    You can do it!!!!I felt the same way when I first started working out.....I have a large chest so I bought a good support sports bra and my chest feels supported well now.I been power walking and gradually starting to jog!I never thought I would be doing so good but I am&you can to.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I just started a couple of months ago and when I first started I thought I was gonna DIE!!!. Start out walking and jog in intervals. www.runnersworld.com has a beginners program that I started on. The first week you walk 2 minutes then jog 1 minute, etc. Each week you walk less and jog more. I signed up for my first 4 mile walk/run in September and am hoping to do it in 40 minutes or less. Good Luck!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Finding reasons not to start will only keep you from taking the leap. I am a big girl, top heavy too and I just had to start doing it. I figured I wasn't going to get where I wanted to be unless I started getting beyond myself and doing whatever it takes to reach my goals.

couch to 5k is a great way to get started because it gives you the tools to go from no running to a lot of running in 9 weeks and then you can keep using the tool to increase your speed and distance. Just google couch to 5k, you don't need the book, I just printed the plan down and went from there.

Now go get started :flowerforyou:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Well, if I could start running (couch to 5K program) at 250 pounds... I think you'll be JUST FINE. Take it slow, stretch a good 20 mns before you run, stretch 20 mins after... use a program like couch to 5K so you can build up...
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    You can always modify a plan to fit your needs. With the couch to 5 k. 1 minute was just too long for out of shape me. I did 30 seconds.

I feel you on being top heavy. I am a G cup but as long as I have on a good support bra, I don't bounce all that much.

This may help:flowerforyou:
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thank a bunch for all the tips and support.
    I purchased new runners and a few other things today.
    And am sooooo going for a run tomorrow :)
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

Why not go tonight? :wink:
    Your biggest enemy with running is your own mind, all the way from your first run, through super marathons. Best thing you can do is, at the risk of quoting nike, "Just do it."

Couch 2 5k is incredible, it warms you up easily. Just take your time.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Why not go tonight? :wink:
    Your biggest enemy with running is your own mind, all the way from your first run, through super marathons. Best thing you can do is, at the risk of quoting nike, "Just do it."

Couch 2 5k is incredible, it warms you up easily. Just take your time.

I would have gone today but I am going to a circuit training class tonight :)
    Circuit training it also new to me but my friend says it is a hell of a workout.
    No worries :) I'll be pounding that pavement...... ye ye!! so excited about it :)