gained 3 lbs after a 5K run yesterday!!!

Options
Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know why this happened?

Replies

• athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know why this happened?
  • hannah
    hannah Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been fighting that since I started ,I run and walk and jog,the lbs. are not coming off as fast as I would like ,but the inches are.Anyway doesn’t Mussel weight more then fat you sound fit. Keep up the awesome work .
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    your body may be retaining some water. This is apparently common after a hard day of exercise or stress. The best way to help this, weirdly, is to drink lots of water.

Great job with the run!
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You will start gaining some muscle so don't worry about it.
  • Minerva
    Minerva Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes that happens to me too but I never knew anyone else had that problem. I can tell I retain water as I am running. I can look at my fingers as I run and see them get bigger.
  • apojones
    apojones Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to swell during exercise, but I found that I simply wasn't taking in enough water. I had a doctor tell me that you are supposed to drink your 8- 8oz glasses of water each day ( anything without caffeine, sugar or alcohol counts) and then you are supposed drink an additional 8oz glass for every 10 lbs you are over-weight. So when I take my weight now, subtract my highest ideal weight (according to BMI ratings), divide that by 10, I get the number of ADDITIONAL 8oz. glasses I'm supposed to drink each day. This has made a difference in how I feel in general, how quickly I get over colds, how soft and supple my skin is and how well managed my asthma is. Try it! I believe you'll be amazed at how much a difference you'll feel. Also, if you have a diet high in fiber, you'll need a little extra water still, because it takes so much more water to process fiber. Happy drinking!
  • hjcopeland
    hjcopeland Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Water weighs about 7 pounds per gallon, so it can easily make your weight fluctuate. But it is more important to drink enough water than to make the scale say something nice.

That's why you should only weigh yourself once a day, in the morning after you wake up and go the the bathroom, and always use the same scale.

Your weight will fluctuate during the day based on your hydration level.
  • FitnessGirl
    Options
    I am a fitness instructor. What did you drink after your run and what did you eat after your run. You shouldn't have gained 3lbs. Go back through your day and log in everything you consumed. You are not retaining any water.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    your body may be retaining some water. This is apparently common after a hard day of exercise or stress. The best way to help this, weirdly, is to drink lots of water.

Great job with the run!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

Great job with the run!

Stop that. This was years ago.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    solid 6 year bump is solid