Weird week .. Some help please!

Options
Okie dokes, so yesterday was weigh in day! I was so excited, yet apprehensive. I went to the gym after waking up, before eating, after peeing etc, wearing my lightest dress. Hopped on the scales and what do I see? '190lbs' meaniiiiiiing, I put on 2lbs. I was pissed.

So this morning, I done the same. Got up, didn't eat, peed, wore my lightest dress and off to the gym to weigh myself. '188lbs'. Okay, that 2lbs (water weight or fat, I dunno *shrug*) was gone. BUT 188LBS WAS MY WEIGHT LAST WEEK!!

So that means a week without progress ¬_¬

I haven't been eating great for the past week or so. Quite a bit of junk I guess, but I'd still lost last week, plus I was 790 cals under my weekly goal this week just gone.

Any ideas? It COULD be muscle, I guess, but I haven't worked out for three days. And it's not like I really pushed myself last time I did.

Care to look at my diary or lend some friendly advice? If my diary's closed, let me know. I think it's open, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hi...
    It looks like you are staying under your calories... that's a good thing:bigsmile:

Your diary makes me hungry though! I would encourage you to try to eat more for less... what I mean by that is to find lower calorie items that you can eat to fill up on. Try adding more fruit and veggies.

Also... try to drink fewer calories... I love Starbucks, but I avoid going there because the calories you drink are often wasted calories.

It is so difficult to change eating habits! I often have days where I regress to the old patterns! KEEP LOGGING though, and log everything. That is what keeps me on track -- even after a Friday when I get off track. :wink:

Feel free to friend me if you would like support! Good luck with your efforts:bigsmile:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Hi...
    It looks like you are staying under your calories... that's a good thing:bigsmile:

Your diary makes me hungry though! I would encourage you to try to eat more for less... what I mean by that is to find lower calorie items that you can eat to fill up on. Try adding more fruit and veggies.

Also... try to drink fewer calories... I love Starbucks, but I avoid going there because the calories you drink are often wasted calories.

It is so difficult to change eating habits! I often have days where I regress to the old patterns! KEEP LOGGING though, and log everything. That is what keeps me on track -- even after a Friday when I get off track. :wink:

Feel free to friend me if you would like support! Good luck with your efforts:bigsmile:

Thank you so much for your reply! I will add you :)

In regards to the Starbucks, I work there so it's so much temptation, all the time!

And you're right about the eating habits, it is bloody hard. I started off so well - cooking most days, making healthy choices, but now, I'm slipping a bit. I do, however, try to always stay within calorie limits, even if I have to throw half my dinner away like I done yesterday.

I log everything I can, though it gets annoying when you're weighing the butter you're putting on your bread, LOL :)

You're right about the more for less kinda thing. It's just cos I'm eating all this bloody junk. Need to start cooking again.
  • candlesrme
    Options
    really could be that your changing fat to muscle, measure yourself and see if your loosing inches rather than weight xxx
  • 27lulu
    27lulu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem. Only been doing this since mid March. First two weeks I dropped pounds - FAST. Now I've had 3 weigh ins of being around the same weight, ranging within 1-2lbs. It is soooooo frustrating.

BUT!!!!

I wish MyFitnessPal had ways of tracking the OTHER forms of progress. How do you feel? How do your pants fit? Because for me, I still feel MUCH healthier than the week before. I feel stronger, so workouts are progressing. And I think I look better in my pants - my boyfriend thinks he sees progress in me, so that's surely a good sign.

Plateaus are normal part of the process - it's your body adjusting. Part of me feels strongly you shouldn't push your body too hard, especially because you don't want to ruin your metabolism by going into 'starvation mode.'

The most important thing is to ENJOY the process as much as possible. Anything about dieting that you ultimately do not like (like denying yourself some Starbucks etc) will not become a habit and if it's not habit then your hard work will quickly be washed away once you reach your goal weight... so take it slow, form the good habits and think about the OTHER ways you've made progress.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    A deficit of 3500 calories should mean you lose a pound of fat, so if your deficit for the week was only 790 you shouldn't expect to see a loss.

Also as has been said, do take measurements in addition to weighing yourself because you can have inch loss which isn't necessarily reflected on the scale. You can keep track of measurements on MFP as well as weight.

Good luck!! :smile:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    really could be that your changing fat to muscle, measure yourself and see if your loosing inches rather than weight xxx

You can NOT "change" fat to muscle.

You can LOSE fat and then BUILD muscle, but only if you are purposefully aiming for that by eating at least maintenance and lifting heavy weights.

A little cardio here and there and eating a bunch of junk food is NOT building muscle.

The most likely culprit for your 2 pound gain is water weight. Either from too much sodium in the day or 2 before weighing, or because it's almost that time of the month, or because you worked out the day before and your muscles are retaining water, etc.

It takes months of hard work to gain an actual pound of muscle and it takes eating 7000 calories OVER maintenance to gain 2 pounds of fat.
    Neither of which you have done.

Try eating real food. Fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, healthy fats.
    Lay off the chocolate and whipped cream that I see a lot of over the last week I looked at.

Success is 90% getting your intake correct, and only 10% exercise.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    A deficit of 3500 calories should mean you lose a pound of fat, so if your deficit for the week was only 790 you shouldn't expect to see a loss.

Also as has been said, do take measurements in addition to weighing yourself because you can have inch loss which isn't necessarily reflected on the scale. You can keep track of measurements on MFP as well as weight.

Good luck!! :smile:

No no, I was 790 cals UNDER my weekly goal. Which means I had a 3,500 deficit plus 790 = 4290.

I have been tracking my measurements, but it's hard to know. I am often slightly bloated, but when I suck the bloat in, it's 32" (started at 38, I think?)

(I'm talking about my waist, by the way)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

She said a deficit off her MFP goal. The goal already has either 1 pound or 2 pounds built into it, so if she was lower than the MFP goal by 790, in theory she should have lost the 1 or 2 pounds her goal is set for.

However, bodies don't subscribe to theories. Some weeks you lose, some weeks you gain, some weeks you stay the same. Over a LONG period of time (months, not weeks) the overall downward trend should match to your goal. If it's not, (after MONTHS), then you need to adjust your calorie goal.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I've had the same problem. Only been doing this since mid March. First two weeks I dropped pounds - FAST. Now I've had 3 weigh ins of being around the same weight, ranging within 1-2lbs. It is soooooo frustrating.

BUT!!!!

I wish MyFitnessPal had ways of tracking the OTHER forms of progress. How do you feel? How do your pants fit? Because for me, I still feel MUCH healthier than the week before. I feel stronger, so workouts are progressing. And I think I look better in my pants - my boyfriend thinks he sees progress in me, so that's surely a good sign.

Plateaus are normal part of the process - it's your body adjusting. Part of me feels strongly you shouldn't push your body too hard, especially because you don't want to ruin your metabolism by going into 'starvation mode.'

The most important thing is to ENJOY the process as much as possible. Anything about dieting that you ultimately do not like (like denying yourself some Starbucks etc) will not become a habit and if it's not habit then your hard work will quickly be washed away once you reach your goal weight... so take it slow, form the good habits and think about the OTHER ways you've made progress.

Yeah, this week I feel a bit slimmer and smaller, but work trousers seem to be getting a tiny bit tighter. I dunno :(

But I really doubt I'm going to go into starvation mode. That takes time and I am not eating a low amount of calories.

And I'll try! I've been going through a tough situation recently, and it's been hard to stay on track and not gorge myself to sickness.

Thanks for your reply :)
  • skyeashlee
    skyeashlee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    starbucks would do it... also lack of fruit & vege ......
    weight loss should be a life style change not a sticking within cal intake kinda thing....... if you stay within ur cal intake but have no appropriate intake of fruit, veges, protein , water etc then you can expect to see no changes... also, one week surely is normal to go to and from a particular read on the scales, however bodies take time to change and naturally will show up and down 'figures' on the scale despite the fact always changing - if that makes sense.
    90% of healthy lifestlye (weightloss) is what you put into your body :)
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

You can NOT "change" fat to muscle.

You can LOSE fat and then BUILD muscle, but only if you are purposefully aiming for that by eating at least maintenance and lifting heavy weights.

A little cardio here and there and eating a bunch of junk food is NOT building muscle.

The most likely culprit for your 2 pound gain is water weight. Either from too much sodium in the day or 2 before weighing, or because it's almost that time of the month, or because you worked out the day before and your muscles are retaining water, etc.

It takes months of hard work to gain an actual pound of muscle and it takes eating 7000 calories OVER maintenance to gain 2 pounds of fat.
    Neither of which you have done.

Try eating real food. Fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, healthy fats.
    Lay off the chocolate and whipped cream that I see a lot of over the last week I looked at.

Success is 90% getting your intake correct, and only 10% exercise.

Thank you so much! This really helps. I need to start cooking again. I'm a vegetarian, so no meat for me! But I eat Quorn, which is low in salt, fat, calories and has lots of protein :)

I have been eating too much junk *wince*. I'm gonna try to wean myself off it again. It doesn't make me feel better, anyway.

TOM has just gone. Not sure about the sodium and haven't worked out for a few days. Hmm ... why do you think I haven't lost anything this week, though?
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    starbucks would do it... also lack of fruit & vege ......
    weight loss should be a life style change not a sticking within cal intake kinda thing....... if you stay within ur cal intake but have no appropriate intake of fruit, veges, protein , water etc then you can expect to see no changes... also, one week surely is normal to go to and from a particular read on the scales, however bodies take time to change and naturally will show up and down 'figures' on the scale despite the fact always changing - if that makes sense.
    90% of healthy lifestlye (weightloss) is what you put into your body :)

Ahh, I work there so it's so hard to resist temptation. I have been sticking to short steamed soya milks with caramel syrup. Which is miles away from the venti fraps with every syrup imaginable, whipped cream AND pouring cream blended in PLUS a mountain of whipped cream on top with caramel AND chocolate syrup (yeah, I know). So my drinks have gone from probably well over 1000 cals to just over 100.

But, yes, more fruits and veggies! Need to get back on track.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

She said a deficit off her MFP goal. The goal already has either 1 pound or 2 pounds built into it, so if she was lower than the MFP goal by 790, in theory she should have lost the 1 or 2 pounds her goal is set for.

However, bodies don't subscribe to theories. Some weeks you lose, some weeks you gain, some weeks you stay the same. Over a LONG period of time (months, not weeks) the overall downward trend should match to your goal. If it's not, (after MONTHS), then you need to adjust your calorie goal.

Yep, you're right! I've set my goal to 1 lb p/w.

Hoping for a loss next week anyway. Sigh.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    Hi, I'm struggling to get this right as well! I can see how tempting it must be for you working at Starbucks. Could you take a sandwich or wrap with you for lunch, so that you are in control of one more meal and could cut out one Starbucks snack?
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    TOM can lead to water retention, or so I've heard. I used to go for weekly weigh-ins at my local gym and the woman who ran them used to tell us to not come to the weigh in if we had our TOM or had just got to the end of it as our weight would probably be higher because of water retention.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    TOM can lead to water retention, or so I've heard. I used to go for weekly weigh-ins at my local gym and the woman who ran them used to tell us to not come to the weigh in if we had our TOM or had just got to the end of it as our weight would probably be higher because of water retention.

TOM's just gone, hun. And last week, I weighed myself 2 days before it started. But you're right, maybe it's that. This is my first month not tracking it, so I can't remember how many days it's lasted. Maybe I'll just weigh myself midweek to see if there's any loss :)
  • melissan84
    melissan84 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Where are the fruits and veggies? I know Starbucks is a temptation but what about cutting it down to make maybe just one drink a day and bringing your own lunch instead of eating there. I wish you the best luck!
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Hi, I'm struggling to get this right as well! I can see how tempting it must be for you working at Starbucks. Could you take a sandwich or wrap with you for lunch, so that you are in control of one more meal and could cut out one Starbucks snack?

God, yeah, it is. The pastry case calls to me, LOL.

I COULD make a wrap, I'm just so lazy :(
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Where are the fruits and veggies? I know Starbucks is a temptation but what about cutting it down to make maybe just one drink a day and bringing your own lunch instead of eating there. I wish you the best luck!

I know, I know *blush*. I need to reintroduce F & V. I just don't feel like it most of the time. I will try and thank you!