I should eat... MORE?!

So yesterday was the end of my day one, and the day end report told me I need to ingest more calories, for fear of putting my body into starvation mode. I really do feel like I ate an appropriate amount, and wasn't really hungry throughout the day. I have no time to go to a gym, so I do pilates and yoga at home. I don't burn a crazy amount of calories, so I don't see the problem in taking in only 900 calories daily.

Any advice on the subject?

Replies

• Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 204 Member
    You need to open your diary,so people can see it,and comment,correctly. :happy:
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 204 Member
    1200 calories is the recommended minimum for a female. You should never eat less than that.
  • KrystleKiri
    KrystleKiri Posts: 135
    I guess I'm just confused on how I was content with how much I ate, and didn't really want anything else. I've started today with a bit of a thicker breakfast, so maybe that will help.
  • mz_hartbreaka
    mz_hartbreaka Posts: 23 Member
    yeh i am the same its telling me it 1200 but yesterdaii i only age 485 and todaii only 500...i feel like if i am eating 1200 calories worth of food its just to much
  • KrystleKiri
    Exactly. I'm just a go big, or don't go kind of person. I can't have ONE fry, I have to eat 30 fries lol. So I stick to small amounts of good food, resulting in being under my calories. I should mention, this is my first diet that I did in a healthy way, I would just not eat for days and lose weight really quickly when I was a teenager. This is all really new for me.
  • mz_hartbreaka
    mz_hartbreaka Posts: 23 Member
    i wish i could do that but if i dnt eat i tend to put on weight after i do.. but i had weight loss surgery a year and half ago so that kinda restricts how much i can eat also, but even so i am in the same boat as u, i cant just have one fry so i try and eat during the first half of the daii and onnly have a small meal in the evening and its tellin me im still under my calorie intake.. but if ur tryin to lose weight having 1200 or less will gaurentee that.. maybe not the best way but still lol
  • Your BMR is the amount of calories that your body needs at rest to pump your heart, for your brain, liver and kidneys to work, just to survive. When you eat below the BMR your organs are stressed and they start taking calories from muscle b/c they break it down to use the amino acids for energy. So yeah 500 and 900 calories can be dangerous for organs and for muscle. After a diet of eating at too much of a deficit your body will hold onto fat, you may lose weight but the fat % may still remain high. Your body saves fat b/c it needs less calories to survive, and for insulation. The key is to incorporate higher calorie snacks, not things such as fries but things like natural almonds or even peanut butter.

You really want to eat between your BMR and your TDEE. It is very difficult for you to get all of the nutrients that your body needs, I would say impossible with 500cals for the day. If you are not getting all of your nutrients you may be skinny when you are older but you may get osteoporosis, your hair may fall out, you could develop heart arrhythmia that can be fatal from low potassium, and a variety of other disorders:)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Part of it is because if you've been underrating before (and it's entirely possible to be overweight and undereating) your body gets used to the little amount of food you've been on before.

I just read your profile, why aren't you doing this for YOU? Don't be healthy for your daughter, your husband or your family be healthy for you. Trying to lose weight for others is rarely, if ever successful.

And please don't hate yourself. Why waste the time in hating yourself?
  • when everyone is saying to eat at least 1200 calories a day are you talking about in general or what you net on you home page? Should we be Netting 1200 a day?
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Exactly. I'm just a go big, or don't go kind of person. I can't have ONE fry, I have to eat 30 fries lol. So I stick to small amounts of good food, resulting in being under my calories. I should mention, this is my first diet that I did in a healthy way, I would just not eat for days and lose weight really quickly when I was a teenager. This is all really new for me.

I can really relate to you on the all or nothing front and it is dangerous.

I've also had years and years of fasting, crash dieting, binge eating, anorexia and bulimia. And seriously, it took years for me to be able to diet sensibly without immediately going to extremes. It seems I had to either give up control altogether and eat what I wanted when I wanted to or else I have to be on a starvation diet of 800 calories and below. There was no middle ground.

900 calories probably feels fine to you because a) it has only been one day and b) that's what your mind and body think a diet is.

It will work but it won't do your physical or mental health any favours.

I think you need to sort out your psychological behaviours around food and dieting before trying a diet really. Not that I'm in any position to give advice there, I still have problems. But, just saying, the all or nothing thing is REALLY hard to break out of.
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    I started out, in February, eating way too few calories, always under 1000. I lost at first, but after 3 weeks plateaued. The scales wouldn't budge. Friends on here told me I needed to eat more. I immediately began to lose more weight. Now I have lost 25 pounds so far, and I have found my magic number is around 1400-1500 a day, whether I excercise or not.

Eating too few calories only works short term, not long. It is not hard to incorporate a few snacks. Drink 2 glasses of skim milk a day, that is like 250 calories right there.

God bless! You can do this! :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I used to "diet" the same way. I thought dieting meant eating very little food... that that was how you lose weight. I also had an easy time ignoring hunger signals so I was able to honestly say, "I ate enough. I feel ok." For a while.

But undereating undermined my progress. Since I wasn't eating enough to get the proper nutrition, I lost a lot of muscle mass in the process. This is the result: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore

(Cliffnotes version: Eating under 1000 calories a day, I lost on average a half pound every other week. Eating 1800-2000 calories a day this time around, I lost on average one pound a week, and looked a helluva lot better at my goal weight than I did before.)

You need to eat the RIGHT amount of food for the amount of weight you want to lose. I blogged about that here: http://www.isthisbliss.com/eating-more-to-lose-weight-why-it-works/
  • KrystleKiri
    I'm actually in therapy currently, and I no longer feel I have a disorder. I'm on day three, and have been so far doing well. I had ONE cookie today! Not 8 cookies, ONE cookie!! YAYYY!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    bump
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    I'm struggling to eat enough (I have my totals set to NET 1420 ... even if I only eat 1/2 of my exercise calories). I'm under today... here's to hoping that avocado on my sandwich tomorrow at lunch helps.
    However, I had my levels set at 1200... first week, lost weight, second week, lost weight, third week stalled, upped calories, and I've lost steadily since. Although, I have not lost much in the past week, but I think it's because I started 30 days shred and my "soccer player" legs are getting muscley :noway: