Any Campers Out There?

Options
42kgirl
42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
I went camping for the first time 4 years ago when The Boy joined Cub Scouts. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I do. We are leaving in about an hour to camp in the mountains tonight. What are your favorite things about camping? Any good recipes for campfires?

Replies

• kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I lurve camping... but only the kind in a camper or cabin in a campground :wink: I'm not much for 'roughing it' in a tent in the wilderness. My kids love camping too. We usually go with another family who also have a camper, we put all the kids to bed and sit out late into the night.. There's nothing better than hanging out and drinking some beer around the campfire. I can't wait for summer.

Have fun!
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    That's the plan for tonight. Leaving now!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I love camping ane we try to go every summer. I love sitting out around the fire at night, helping my daughter make s'mores. We hike and swim and enjoy being outside. I like to prep my food ahead of time, so when we are there all we have to do is cook it. There's a lot you can do with tin foil and cooking over the fire, like packing individual portions into a tin foil packet and tossing it in the coals, you can do baked potatoes this way and corn on the cob (no foil, just leave the husks on). One year when I went with my brother and a bunch of friends, my brother rigged a spit and cooked cornish game hens right over the fire, it tok about an hour or so. I didn't have any because I'm a vegetarian, but it was a goood idea and worked well.
  • Jodi827
    Jodi827 Posts: 40
    Options
    A hotel with a restaurant used to be my idea of camping until I married my husband -- now there is nothing better. No time restrictions to live by and anything goes. Only when we camp would my husband consider a hot dog dinner. :happy:
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I get at least three camping trips in every season, usually for about 5 days each. I'm already packing and planing for the Memorial Day weekend trip.

Cooking over a campfire is part of the whole experience. It does take a certain amount of practice.
  • b_ism
    b_ism Posts: 60
    Options
    Love camping! Preferably near water so I can get some canoeing in too.
    The creative cooking aspect is fun too, the less you bring, the more you have to improvise!