help after too insense a workout for me

Options
I workout at the Y 4x a week; 30 mins of cardio and either upper or lower body strength training. I started doing daily abs and yoga at home a week ago, and feel to yoga, but not the abs. Today, I had to clear brush; haul it over dirt and rock piles and into 7 seperate piles apx 10' in diameter. I need a chiro adjustment, so my right SI hurts a bit, as do my glutes, tricepts, hamstrings, thorasic are of my back, adn I am sure many more aches will apear by morning. My questions is, what can I do this evening to reduce the painful affects on my pore bod? Hot bath? more yoga to stretch the muscles I feel shrinking as I type? Ice packs? Thanks so much for all tried and true suggestions.

Achey T

Replies

• adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Yep, stretching, ice or hot packs, hot bath... all the above. Motrin right away and for the next few days at max dose.
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    Well a nice warm bath with epsom salts if you have them, muscle rub. For the legs after a bath ice 5 minutes on 10 minutes off. If you have a recliner use it. Drink plenty of water (more than usual) aprin or even tylenol. Go to bed a little early. Yes you will have some aches and some pains but you should feel some what better in the morning. Also do some slow stretching tonight before bed and then first thing in the morning and also what might help is eating some protien before you go to bed and then in the morning. hope you start to feel better
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Yoga will help .. and an extra serving of protein for dinner, hehe.

Next time, also go for some chocolate milk right after something like that.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Make sure that after you do those hard workouts you recover correctly with food, I think chocolate milk is a great recovery drink, I actually do soy because I can't have a lot of dairy but that should help in the future. Ice if you feel like you pulled something and stretch. It would also help to go for a nice easy walk just to loosen you up. :happy: Good luck!

~Leash :happy:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    oops sorry ghanie looks like you covered the chocolate milk!

~Leash :heart:
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    oops sorry ghanie looks like you covered the chocolate milk!

~Leash :heart:

It's always helps to second some of these opinions!

Also, nothing takes care of sore muscles the day after like a little cardio :flowerforyou:.
  • GoDoAndBe
    GoDoAndBe Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks so much to all who posted, and so quickly!. I had a 2nd helping of ground turkey for dinner, did a back care yoga video, have taken a hot shower, and after a bit more stretching, and an ibuprophen, I will hop beneath my electric blanket and sleep like a baby. I am happy to know what I was hearing from my body was right.
    Ghanie, I didn't know cardio would be good the day after, but I will definately try to fit some in.
    Oh, not sure if it will be beneficial come morning ,but I used lavendar lotion for deeper sleep.
    Thanks again all - I am so happy to be on MFP!

T
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    ...Ghanie, I didn't know cardio would be good the day after, but I will definately try to fit some in.
    Oh, not sure if it will be beneficial come morning ,but I used lavendar lotion for deeper sleep.
    Thanks again all - I am so happy to be on MFP!

T

I've learned to wait until after the warmup to decide whether or not I'm "too sore to work out". I haven't skipped a day since :laugh:.
  • GoDoAndBe
    GoDoAndBe Posts: 20
    Options
    I feel great. I am not sore anywhere! I can feel the need to stretch some muscles, but nothing is aching. Wow, thank you all so much.
  • mmdtayo
    mmdtayo Posts: 2
    Options
    You need a great recovery drink along with H20! I recommend Endurox R4 fruit punch. Check it out with you local nutrition store. I take a full scoop for cardo lasting 1hr or more and 1/2 scoop for 30mins. Good Luck!