Insulin Resistance? Buddy? Motivation?

Options
2»

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nemoel - and I sent you a little 'experience' story - I definitely understand!

I reviewed your diary.... I wont post it here out of respect for your wishes but, I do have several suggestions to share with you, but only if you would like those suggestions...

Just let me know
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    FitFoodieMomBillie Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nemoel - and I sent you a little 'experience' story - I definitely understand!

I reviewed your diary.... I wont post it here out of respect for your wishes but, I do have several suggestions to share with you, but only if you would like those suggestions...

Just let me know

Just PM me. Thanks!
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    FitFoodieMomBillie Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free gellatin contains artificial sweetners which causes more problems for people with IR.

What kinds of problems do artificial sweeteners cause for IR persons? This is a suggestion that my dr recommended as an alternative to the regular stuff, and I have been working toward getting accustomed to the 'fake' taste.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free gellatin contains artificial sweetners which causes more problems for people with IR.

What kinds of problems do artificial sweeteners cause for IR persons? This is a suggestion that my dr recommended as an alternative to the regular stuff, and I have been working toward getting accustomed to the 'fake' taste.

This is for everyone: Speaking on the Oralmaxillofacial side of medicine, it significantly softens the enamel of your teeth that if you brush your teeth, you will brush away your enamel and it will cause significant teeth erosion... Enamel is necessary to protect your teeth.

For the IR side - there are complicated/pros and cons to artificial sweetners - http://www.livestrong.com/article/477679-insulin-weight-gain-and-artificial-sweeteners/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/517722-can-artificial-sweeteners-stimulate-high-insulin-levels/
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 6 months ago with IR. It has been a very strict diet since then as I don't want to go over the line into diabetes. I limit my carbs to 75 net no matter what I eat for calories. So if I do eat a few exercise calories (which I almost never do) none of those would be high carb.

I no longer eat breads for the most part and my fruit is limited to melons, berries and papaya (the lowest carb fruits). Potatoes and some other starchy veggies are out (corn and field peas) as are many grains. I do occasionally have whole grains like barley or oats but no wheat or rice.

It's not impossible to maintain and I have had great results on the scale, in my blood work and just by not feeling crappy all the time.

Good luck on your journey. If you have questions you can drop me a message and I'll gladly try to help.
  • marg3049
    marg3049 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to eat balanced meals with some, but limited carbs, as well as protein and fats. I create my own recipes so I can have a variety of foods to eat. I will occasionally have a small potato but if I do I make sure I have some other foods with it that will help neutralize the higher GI carbs. For example, I will have a dill pickle and/or higher protein foods.

I have learned that anything with acid helps lower the GI level of foods so that's why I'd have a dill pickle. Anything with vinegar is supposed to do the same thing.

For snacks I have:
    a handful of nuts
    Raw veggies and 2 teaspoons of low-fat dip
    a few pieces of apple and melon with a strawberry dip. Here's the recipe for the strawberry dip:

1 cup fresh strawberries
    4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1 tablespoon sugar
    Orange peel

Place strawberries in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Beat cream cheese in a small bowl until smooth. Stir in sour cream, strawberry puree and sugar. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

If you use only a couple of tablespoons of this dip you are only getting 3 grams of carbs and it is low glycemic as well. It helps take the boredom out of just eating fruit.

Other snacks:
    One ounce of cheese and 2 melba toast.
    One small bread stick and one ounce of cheese
    1/2 cup lettuce mixed with 3 cherry tomatoes cut up and 1 slice cooked and crumbled bacon so it's like a blt without the mayo.

Hope that helps.
    Marg