Thinking about P90X/Insanity over the gym????

Options
This is my experience, im not saying its everyones. I just want to share my story for those thinking about finally getting in to shape. I think its particularly important for those who are NOT fit at the moment and are thinking about one of those video to read this.

Asking someone whose 30 lbs overweight to stick with a video program for 60-90 days is a tall order. They are tough, which is great for someone already in the normal weight range, but the odds of finishing the program are what you do not hear about. Of course we all want to think we are extremely motivated but if you do the research, you will see 80-90% of those whose start one of these videos dont finish! Dont think your special.

My advise is get in to a routine like the gym and walking on your off days. YOU WILL SEE RESULTS AND LOSE WEIGHT and most importantly you wont get burned out, lose your inspiration and stop logging in to MyFitnessPal.

I did P90X for 35 days a year ago. As soon as you skip a day or two, its extremely tough to jump back in. (motivation) I go to the gym and run now and have no problem missing a day here or there.

I go to the gym Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday and run the neighborhood Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I'm losing approx 1.5 lbs per week and since I write down the set and reps I do every time I go to the gym I can see my strength gains which is extremely motivating. In 55 days i've lost 5.5 inches on my waist.

BOTTOM LINE- If you want to try one of the p90x or insanity vids you should already be in normal weight range. Sure there are people that dont have to be that will finish the program but you can get equal or better results without setting yourself up with a higher rate of potential failure.

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You can't really equate size with lack of motivation or consistency. There are "normal weight" people who don't have the gumption to stick to a 60/90 day plan.

Maybe you aren't a DVD type person.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    People should choose a gym over p90x/insanity anyway. They aren't optimal for fat loss nor are they for muscle gain. It's just a marketing scheme.
  • kenscarlson
    kenscarlson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Im merely pointing out that being 30 lbs overweight and choosing P90X/Insanity as your first experience with working out in a while is like not knowing how to swim and jumping in the deep end. Sure there will be some people who will learn to float but many will sink.

and yes some people in "normal" weight index will fail too.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I think that's a bad comparison because 'the deep end' is actually what the end goal should be.

A better comparison would be not knowing how to swim and diving into a pile of concrete.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily true. It's a level of commitment.. I am MORE than 30lbs over and I am commited to making this WORK!!

like many if you skip any part of your routine its hard gettn back into.
    I have been doing P90X for about 4 weeks. because of a situation with my mother being in hospital and some days better than others I miss days sometimes 2 but I have the added bonus of being able to work out when ever! I had a gym membership and gave it up
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This is my experience, im not saying its everyones. I just want to share my story for those thinking about finally getting in to shape. I think its particularly important for those who are NOT fit at the moment and are thinking about one of those video to read this.

Asking someone whose 30 lbs overweight to stick with a video program for 60-90 days is a tall order. They are tough, which is great for someone already in the normal weight range, but the odds of finishing the program are what you do not hear about. Of course we all want to think we are extremely motivated but if you do the research, you will see 80-90% of those whose start one of these videos dont finish! Dont think your special.

My advise is get in to a routine like the gym and walking on your off days. YOU WILL SEE RESULTS AND LOSE WEIGHT and most importantly you wont get burned out, lose your inspiration and stop logging in to MyFitnessPal.

I did P90X for 35 days a year ago. As soon as you skip a day or two, its extremely tough to jump back in. (motivation) I go to the gym and run now and have no problem missing a day here or there.

I go to the gym Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday and run the neighborhood Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I'm losing approx 1.5 lbs per week and since I write down the set and reps I do every time I go to the gym I can see my strength gains which is extremely motivating. In 55 days i've lost 5.5 inches on my waist.

BOTTOM LINE- If you want to try one of the p90x or insanity vids you should already be in normal weight range. Sure there are people that dont have to be that will finish the program but you can get equal or better results without setting yourself up with a higher rate of potential failure.
    I lost 83lbs doing P-90 X and Insanity for my cardio. And I started it from day one, just had to hit the pause button pretty often. I also lifted 4 days per week but you can lift at home and there is nothing at the gym that will get you in as good as shape as P-90 X or Insanity.
    Also 90% of every person that buys a gym membership will no longer be a member 3 months later.
    The important thing is that an individual finds a program/split that they can make work and stick too, regardless of if its going to a gym or working out at home. If wasnt for me being able to lift at home or do Insanity etc. on days I couldnt make it to the gym, I wouldnt be anywhere close to where I am now.
  • kenscarlson
    kenscarlson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome you are most definatly a success story. And your right, its about finding the right program. I know from experience P90X wasnt the way for me to start. Truth be told, now that I am in pretty good shape I think have a much higher likelyhood of finishing. Are you still doing it? How many times have you done the 90 day program?
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I have never done P90X or Insanity and I don't plan on doing either. I own P90 and haven't done it as a program, but I have incorporated the workouts into my workout routine. The first program that I have ever done was done Supreme 90 Day and I liked it. Life can get in the way of a programmed workout and all the person has to do is pick up from where they've left off. They don't have to join the gym. So many people join the gym and stop going, therefore they are wasting their money, because they have signed a contract. The gym is not for everyone. I rather workout at home than go to the gym and we have a free gym out here, as well as a gym that charges $10.00 a month. A person can save money by creating their own gym at home. I have my own gym.

A lot of people like P90X and Insanity and everyone should do the workouts that they like doing.
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's just as well you put the disclaimer - barring injuries stopping me, I've completed every home workout I ever stuck to (which is most of them). Both ways of doing it are equally valid, but everyone should be honest with themselves. If you need the gym commitment and routine, that's fine. Me, if I had to leave the house every time I wanted to work out it would never get done! I need the rigidity of a workout calendar with workouts I can do in my living room to get me moving. Our choices are both valid, we are just different people.