Gym fashion #2

Awkward30
Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
In a similar vein, what can I wear to the gym so that guys will leave me the hell alone. I typically wear an old navy t shirt (they're now 2+ sizes too big, and Nike running shorts that are at least a size too big, lifting gloves, and a mean mug.

It's not overt flirting usually, although today was "how long have you been squatting, looking good" and I previously got "it's hard for me to concentrate with someone so beautiful around" but almost every other day it's something like telling me how to 'properly' do a lift I probably know better than them, or insisting to help me re-rack weights I'm completely capable of doing myself. It's pretty benign, but I just want to be left alone to be one of the boys. So how can I look less approachable?

Replies

• RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    The only time I have ever tried to help someone was when they were obviously going to hurt themselves. But if you want to make yourself less attractive/approachable here is what I suggest,

1. Spray on some massive "pit stains" before you work out so that you appear to be smelly.
    2. Wear sweats, preferably with a hole in them.
    3. Maybe put like a pizza stain on your shirt.
    4. Get a t-shirt made with your 1 rep max for : squat, dead lift, etc on it.
    5. Offer to re-rack weights for guys.
    6. Pass gas near them.

Other than that, you might just have to accept that some boneheads don't get that girls can lift. It seems to me that my gym is fairly segregated. The weights are more used by guys and the "machines" and cardio are used more by girls.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    The only time I have ever tried to help someone was when they were obviously going to hurt themselves. But if you want to make yourself less attractive/approachable here is what I suggest,

1. Spray on some massive "pit stains" before you work out so that you appear to be smelly.
    6. Pass gas near them.

Other than that, you might just have to accept that some boneheads don't get that girls can lift. It seems to me that my gym is fairly segregated. The weights are more used by guys and the "machines" and cardio are used more by girls.

don't forget to belch right after you fart near them...
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    I would address it directly and just state you are their to workout and not chat or just ignore them. If it still persists tell management.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Take advantage of it. I love that guys are so nice in the gym
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    IMO - no matter what you wear, guys will still check you out. I usually will walk over and talk to women in the weights section, especially when I see them doing something that can potentially cause pain/harm. But in general, if you go in and really know your stuff (especially lifting) guys will just move on. But if you go in all camel/buffalo toe'd up, trust me, you are in for a full body search. Hope this does not offend.
  • Always824
    Always824 Posts: 111 Member

6. Pass gas near them.

Seriously laughed out loud haha
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160

6. Pass gas near them.

Yes, this works!!!

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member

6. Pass gas near them.

Lol!

My natural post gym smell repels my bf, not sure why it doesn't work as well on strangers! Probably can't smell it over the awful stank of the weight room in the first place... Lol

Maybe I'll start answering "want help reracking your weights?" with "no, do you?" since "no, thanks" somehow gets translated to "yes, please, and let's make this into a conversation"