Need serious help with elimination diet

Options
2»

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Okay, please forgive me for being lazy but I'll just answer the major points in one post.

My biggest problem is that in 2 weeks time I'm moving to another country where healthcare is not only expensive but...subpar. My doctor has been faffing about for a good couple of months now - started with 'it's probably constipation' to 'it's probably an irritable bowel' to 'lets run some tests and see what comes up.' I never realised just how bad the bloating was until lately, as I've lost weight (and body fat). There's never been any pain, change in bowel habits or anything of the like. Just a tight, big belly. So I've left myself with no time to find a resolution.

I just don't know where to start.

You may want to read wheat belly too. Celiac doesn't necessarily mean pain, bleeding, or diarrhea. It can just be bloating, which may seem normal for some people. You can eat grain and dairy free in any country. Just buy fresh veggies, fruits, and meats, with some spices and herbs. If the healthcare system isn't great where you are going, then it is important to do everything you can do be your healthiest self.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You can't eliminate both dairy and wheat at the same time because then you won't know which one is causing problems. If you remove both and you feel better then you'll just think it's both without actually knowing if it's both. When doing an elimination diet, you need to eliminate ONE thing at a time so you know what thing is causing the effect.

And seriousness of what?

No that's not as good a strategy as it seems on the surface. If the OP is allergic or sensitive to multiple things and she only removes one food at a time it is very possible that she won't notice a huge or obvious difference for some or all of the foods. Her immune system could be too revved up and/or her gut probably too inflamed. It is also asking a tremendous and unreasonable amount of patience on her part. It can take 8 weeks or more to get things like dairy or wheat completely our of her system.

The best course is to restrict all the common triggers for a minimum of 6-8 weeks to see if she's on the right track. Then if she feels much better she can slowly re-introduce one item at a time. She will still isolate specific triggers and the reactions will be more obvious when the system is less symptomatic. It is a much more humane, reasonable, and efficient way to go.

This! I've been through it and the minimum elimination time is typically 3 weeks. That is how my Doctor administrated it. When I reintroduced, dairy set off a reaction like a 4 alarm bell. Gluten was about 1/2 as intense and corn and eggs were neutral. You can't do it one at a time or you never get your system clear. Also, google Elimination/Challenge Diet and you'll see the recommeded protocol.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about trying GAS-X or some kind of over the counter Maalox kind of thing? If you really don't want to give up foods or if you are unable to cut back, maybe you should consider that. Also, find out if celiac disease runs in your family.
    The doctor prescribed me peppermint oil tablets to take before meals, but they're not having any effect on the bloating. I'm now just burping mint :blushing: And I have blood tests on Wednesday for celiac but I don't think it runs in my family.

Don't cut out wheat until AFTER you're tested for celiac. And if you are tested negative, know that those blood tests are not conclusive (there are a lot of false negatives). I tested negative the first time and suffered another YEAR before being retested. I should've just cut out wheat immediately anyway because I was pretty sure that was what was going on (and now that I've eliminated it, it is REALLY OBVIOUS if I cheat. I don't know if I'd gotten used to feeling like crap or if it just reacts even worse now that I'm off it).

I also recommend going to Pinterest and looking up gluten free: there are a ton of good recipes posted on there. There's also a gluten free/celiac group here on MFP.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Also, if there's a Trader Joe's in your area, I highly recommend getting thee to the nearest TJ's immediately. GF lifesaver.
  • suelang93
    Options
    I wouldn't eliminate both wheat and dairy. Decide which one you eat more of. I have the same problem and I cut down the wheat and cut out the dairy and go lactose free. I am better. No beans of any kind. They are a killer. How much coffee do you drink. Sometimes that's the offender. If after 2 weeks or even one there no change then do wheat. Don't give up your morning oatmeal. Just buy organic oats they will be gluten free.
    Let me know how it goes.
    Susan
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Organic oats are not the same as certified gluten free oats. The problem is not chemicals, it is wheat contamination. Grown in the same field, shipped in the same trucks, processed in the same plants.
    I wouldn't eliminate both wheat and dairy. Decide which one you eat more of. I have the same problem and I cut down the wheat and cut out the dairy and go lactose free. I am better. No beans of any kind. They are a killer. How much coffee do you drink. Sometimes that's the offender. If after 2 weeks or even one there no change then do wheat. Don't give up your morning oatmeal. Just buy organic oats they will be gluten free.
    Let me know how it goes.
    Susan
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Let me know how it goes.
    Susan

You might want to google the Elimination Challenge Diet. The advise you are giving to only eliminate one at a time is contrary to the protocols of this diet method to identify reactive foods. I've done the diet under the direction of a physician as I'm assuming the OP is. The protocols are very specific for reasons. I mean no disrespect but this is advise based on your anecdotal opinion and not based on facts.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    A lot of good information in here.

Bumping so that it's in 'my topics'.

This is something I've needed to do for awhile but I'm not prepared for it yet.