Best Artificial Sweetener???

Options
Hey everyone!

I recently bought Truvia and use it in my plain greek yogurt. And I like the fact that there are no calories or sugar in it. But I don't like it in my coffee! It leaves a weird after taste.

I also have sugar free caramel syrup, made with splenda, and I put it on apples as a snack. And I've tried it in my coffee and I like it.

So this got me thinking, what is the best artificial sweetener out there??? I don't use it a lot, but when I do, I want the best!

I know there's splenda, sweet and low, truvia, and others, but which is the best?

Any advice or opinions will be appreciated.

Thank you :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Not to be flip, but the best artificial sweetener is none. If you must sweeten things, use a tiny bit of sugar, honey, maple syrup or crushed fruit.
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    Ive heard stevia is the best but i have never knowingly tried it
  • lilo321
    lilo321 Posts: 1
    Options
    stevia is amazing. i've used it on fruits and in my coffee. a cup of coffee with a little milk and stevia is great!
  • Skeen903
    Skeen903 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Not to be flip, but the best artificial sweetener is none. If you must sweeten things, use a tiny bit of sugar, honey, maple syrup or crushed fruit.

I agree with you that sugar is probably the best idea... but being diabetic I am really happy to see sugar free things out on the shelves. I don't make a habit of eating a ton of sugar free products but I am happy they are out there.
    The newest "best" thing seems to be the Truvia. I just bought some to replace my Splenda so I can get away from the sucralose.
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I like stevia and agave nectar. Agave is more like a syrup but if you use proper portions it's better than sugar and definitely better than sweetener!
  • ericcumbee
    ericcumbee Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Is stevia and agave considered Artificial? they are plant extracts the same as sugar?
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Is stevia and agave considered Artificial? they are plant extracts the same as sugar?

Agave nectar is one-and-a-half times sweeter than table sugar, so to get the most weight-maintenance benefit from this trendy food, you need to use less than you would if you were using sugar
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Stevia--it's not artificial, it's a plant.
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Artificial sugars are VERY bad for you....period. If I must sweeten my food or drinks I choose either raw non- processed REAL sugar, agave or stevia.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I like Stevia and especially like AGAVE SYRUP...a tiny bit goes a long way.
  • lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I love baking with Agave syrup. It is amazing! I like it better than Truvia for the taste.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Agave syrup is not sweet in it's natural state. It is highly processed in order to make it sweet. It is low GI, because it's primarily fructose instead of glucose. It is processed by your body in the same way as high fructose corn syrup. I wouldn't waste my money, unless you just really like the taste and aren't buying it just for the so-called health perks.
    If you want a natural sweetener, I think Stevia is best. But I admit I use splenda as well, just because I love the taste of it.
    However I have also recently started using coconut palm sugar. It's delicious, tastes somewhat like brown sugar and is low GI and lower carb than regular sugar. It comes in bricks so you have to break it up to use, but I think it's worth the extra effort. But you need to make sure it is pure or organic, otherwise it could contain fillers.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-agave
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above Agave and Stevia... Try to avoid artificial sweeteners, they are so bad for you...
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Stevia in America is almost always refined (truvai, purevia, stevia in the raw, etc)

There is nothing terribly bad about artificial sweeteners in moderation. I really wish people would quit banging that drum.

Agave has calories so isn't exactly a sugar substitute, it's more of an analog.

Best artificial sweetener comes down to personal preference really. I like equal for hot beverages such as tea/coffee.
    Haven't used in in ages though.