Morning Workouts

Options
madc91
madc91 Posts: 14 Member
So, I've heard that it's really beneficial to workout in the morning, but I can never find the motivation to do it. However, lately I've noticed I feel sluggish till around noon or 12:30 which results in my making poor food decisions earlier in the day. My question is whether any of you lovelies out there have noticed benefits of a morning workout routine? Does it give you more energy throughout the day and result in better diet decisions? I'm just trying to get the most out of my time and body. :)

Thanks,
-Mads

Replies

• toutepechtite
    Options
    I used to work out evenings but it didn't always fit in so I decided to switch. It wasn't easy at first as I'm definitely more awake in the evening, but honestly after a few weeks, I'm in the routine now and it makes a good start to my day. I now get annoyed when my schedule doesn'tvallow for my morning routine. It gives me a positive start knowing I've done that for myself and also knowing it's out of the way!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, it does make me feel accomplished, in that I got up and finished my workout. I don't think it gives me more energy, or is more beneficial, though. It usually just clears up my afternoon scedule, which is nice. I don't think it makes me more concious of food, either. If anything, I'm personally more likely to indulge, since I know I worked out earlier.

Honestly, though, I don't like working out first thing. I do if I have to, like if there's no other eay to get my run in, but I wake up and feel half-dead, and the beginning of my workout always reflects that. I feel much better working out in the evening or afternoon, when my body is more awake.
  • FitBlitz
    FitBlitz Posts: 146
    Options
    I started working out super early in the morning (5am) for a couple of reasons--

1) My gym is full of obnoxious teens/kids in the evenings, making it really hard for me to work out. You never know when some four year old is going to attempt to jump on the elliptical with me because parents aren't watching them. ((It's happened, kid got knocked in the chin. :/ ))

2) This is super douche of me, but I love coming home at 7am knowing I've already put in two solid hours of work before some people are even out of bed. I feel charged for the rest of the day and want to get more and more done in all my life areas.

3) I've already worked out-- so I have it on my mind when I eat. I don't want to ruin the work I put in.

4) My evenings are free to do with what I please. :) Back when I worked out at night, it was always a matter of "if I do ____, will I be able to get to my gym/work out before I sleep..?"

5) I like working out on an empty stomach. I don't feel ill like I used to working out after dinner. That means I can push myself harder without worrying about it!

This is just personal localized experience though. I just suck it up and do it in the mornings, or I end up regretting it that night at the gym. lol

I hope you find what is best for you soon! :)
  • kbogart1996
    kbogart1996 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would much rather work out in the am, and it is still hard for me to get up and do it. I feel better, usually eat better that day, don't have to worry about things coming up in evening that would not allow me to work out, I also work until 830pm, and I can not workout for a few hours after I have eaten.
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    I usually get my cardio in, in the morning. I do feel like it energizes me and helps me get a start on the day. I do my weights in the evening, however, when I'm feeling my strongest and I've had most of my calories for the day so I can lift heavier.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I work out at the gym twice a week in the mornings - once on my own and once in a class. I have my session with my trainer one afternoon a week but I might change it to mornings. I find I have much more energy after working out in the a.m.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yes yes and yes! :tongue: I workout early mornings before the rest of my house is awake. i can't remember the last time I felt I needed a nap. It does help me make better food decisions I think - I want to refuel my body for the early morning cals I burned, and burning them early helps me to know what I've got to work with for the day.
  • Key9976
    Key9976 Posts: 3
    Options
    I also agree that morning workouts give you more energy and helps in making better food choices. On top of that, it makes you feel so MUCH better. It boosts your metabolism and is the perfect way to start your day. I was doing really good with getting up earlier to work out with Leslie Sansone and walk one mile, but I fell off about a week ago. Not to worry though because starting tomorrow, I'm back to working out 45-60 mins a day. :)
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning (at the gym by 0500). While it means getting up an hour earlier than I would have to it help[s keep me on track for a few reasons...1) I am meeting someone else there...you can't call someone at 0430 and tell them you won't be there, that would just be wrong on a lot of levels 2) If I wait till after work I will see the sofa, if I see the sofa it is hard for me to resit its call. 3) Getting it done first thing allows me to walk around at work feeling morally superior ;-)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym four mornings a week....the days I don't have to be at work early. I am NOT a morning person. However I find getting my workout in early is really satisfying and a great start to my day. I think I am sleeping better too. The only thing I don't like about it is during the winter I'm leaving the house before sunrise...just feels funny to me.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I try my best to get up early and workout int he morning. I definitely feel a difference during the day; I have more energy and I feel more motivated to do things. And I just feel better. Plus, who feels like working out after they've been at work (or in my case, school) all day? lol
  • swt0pie
    swt0pie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    pilates are great workouts to do in the mornings