Two NROLFW questions

Options
drift
drift Posts: 143 Member
Seeing great results from this programme, and am convinced on the lifting heavy argument but have two questions that maybe someone can help with (preferably easy reading style with reduced jargon if possible)

1 what's the advantage in lifting weights over using resistance machines?

2 if I lift heavy and get these great results, am I then committed forever, or what will happen when I stop, does the muscle just atrophy? Asking as I have time to commit at the moment but need to return to full time employment soon so will have less time to exercise.

Thanks for your response

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    resistance machines work muscles independently. they are inefficient.

heavy lifting per NROL4W using compound movements is what gets results.

As for your second question: as with anything -- proper diet and exercise only works when you're doing it properly. I must ask though: what works better for your busy schedule, exercise 1 hour a day, or dead 24 hours a day?

Don't worry though. Once you see the benefits, you'll make the time.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    In answer to question two, yes you're committed for life. But after you reach your goals, you will be able to reduce the frequency of your workouts. It won't take as much effort to maintain your results as it did to get there in the first place. I speak from personal experience. I completely transformed my body years ago doing the new rules workouts, starting with the original new rules of lifting. When I started endurance training to do triathlons, little by little my lifting took a backseat to my endurance training. I found myself to be less lean from all the endurance training. I will never let that happen again. Now that I am lifting again, and I have my leaner body back, I only need to work out 2 or 3 days per week to maintain. And that is with lifting only... no additional cardio.
  • kazzari
    Options
    Most of us who lift and do these workouts also have full time jobs. No time is really not an excuse when it comes to your health and fitness.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Most of us who lift and do these workouts also have full time jobs. No time is really not an excuse when it comes to your health and fitness.

I just looked at your profile. I love knitting too -- are you on ravelry? that's the other website that sucks all my time :)
  • kazzari
    Options

I just looked at your profile. I love knitting too -- are you on ravelry? that's the other website that sucks all my time :)

Yes...I am on Ravelry! I'm msmogreen.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    A machine does more work for the exerciser; the exerciser is held in position and the exercise movement is usually restricted to one plane. Free weights require the exerciser to balance, develop proprioception (a sense where and how the body is moving in space) and movement is more varied. It also can be easier to exercise the sides of the body independently.

A 10 pound dumbbell is a 10 pound dumbbell wherever you pick one up. By contrast the weight and resistance of one brand of exercise machine is not the same as another.

Some machines are too big for smaller women, so they attempt to find a free weight equivalent.

Having said that, machines do have a place. For example, for building up muscles when you lack the strength and/or balance to maintain proper form to do the dumbbell or weight bar version.

Any decent website or book will explain the pros and cons in detail.
  • sleepytexan
    Options

Yes...I am on Ravelry! I'm msmogreen.

PMd you there :) sleepytexan
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Am already committed to a range of exercise I enjoy, biking, Pilates, badminton so am just trying to assess if what I'd be taking on long term will be manageable for me
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Personally I stick with the resistance machines purely because they're easier - there's more of them and less demand whereas the freeweights and space to use them is ALWAYS hogged by men! Personally, they work pretty well for me, maybe not as well as if I did free weights but they still do a good job if that's an easier option for you.