Waist Measurement Question

Options
Several years ago I watched a program on a now defunct cable channel and saw Dr. Oz (before he got his own show) doing a weight loss program with a family. Anyway when taking their waist measurements he told them to pull their stomach in. I thought it odd, but hey what do I know :)

Anyway, my question is, when taking the measurement of your waist, do you pull your stomach in to take the measurement or not. Seems like cheating to me. I know that all day, I hold my stomach in, just a habit and I don't mean suck it in until I can't breath, but just holding it in. So would taking my measurements that way be cheating?

Thanks for the reply. (I also apologize if I post this in the wrong place)

Replies

• zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    I don't hold anything in- I just stand normally. If you bought trousers based on your waist measurement, you wouldn't be holding your stomach in the whole time you were wearing them would you?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I let it hang out.
  • redvamp22
    redvamp22 Posts: 28
    Options
    I don't hold anything in- I just stand normally. If you bought trousers based on your waist measurement, you wouldn't be holding your stomach in the whole time you were wearing them would you?

Actually yes... I do that all the time. For someone my size it's something I've gotten use to holding in my stomach..again not sucking it in, just holding it in, so yes that it how I buy my trousers and have always bought them since I've been overweight, holding in my stomach
  • redvamp22
    Options
    I let it hang out.

Ok! Thanks for the reply :)
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options

Actually yes... I do that all the time. For someone my size it's something I've gotten use to holding in my stomach..again not sucking it in, just holding it in, so yes that it how I buy my trousers and have always bought them since I've been overweight, holding in my stomach

But- you surely can't be actively sucking in your stomach the entire day? Ten solid hours? While walking and sitting and standing and everything else you do in a day? If so, you must have phenomenal stomach muscles!!!
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    I would imagine that as long as you do the same thing each time you will have comparable results. It doesn't make any difference who does what as long you do your thing each time. I hope that makes sense.
    My own opinion is that I always hold my rib cage up to measure as it seems impossible to do it without.:laugh: And every millimetre counts!
  • redvamp22
    Options

But- you surely can't be actively sucking in your stomach the entire day? Ten solid hours? While walking and sitting and standing and everything else you do in a day? If so, you must have phenomenal stomach muscles!!!

Have no clue about phenomenal stomach muscles because all I see is flab... I just know I hold it in, which is different from sucking it in. Do you know when you are doing a crunch or a squat and you have to use your stomach muscle (kind of like contracting it) well that's what I do and to me that is holding it in. Sometimes I even forget that I'm doing it to the point that when I let it out it feels uncomfortable. I'm sure there are times when I am not, sleeping, other times ( I will admit that) but to be honest I'm more conscious of doing it rather than not doing it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

I do. It's just a part of our natural posture.

The answer I believe is take the measurement with your naturally held in waist. Don't suck in, don't push out. That way it's the same every time you measure.
  • redvamp22
    Options
    I would imagine that as long as you do the same thing each time you will have comparable results. It doesn't make any difference who does what as long you do your thing each time. I hope that makes sense.
    My own opinion is that I always hold my rib cage up to measure as it seems impossible to do it without.:laugh: And every millimetre counts!

Ok. I just wanted to make sure that I was cheating.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I have been always told to just stand normal and relaxed, however I think it's a little unfair to those that have lost a lot of weight. I have a good amount of loose skin I can fit into 32-33 jeans yet my waist says I am 35 oh well, whatcha gonna do.
  • redvamp22
    Options

I do. It's just a part of our natural posture.

The answer I believe is take the measurement with your naturally held in waist. Don't suck in, don't push out. That way it's the same every time you measure.

Yes this sounds like the advice that Dr. Oz gave to the clients he was helping. He just said, hold it in, but she didn't suck it in. Thanks so very much!
  • redvamp22
    Options
    I have been always told to just stand normal and relaxed, however I think it's a little unfair to those that have lost a lot of weight. I have a good amount of loose skin I can fit into 32-33 jeans yet my waist says I am 35 oh well, whatcha gonna do.

There is a 1.5 difference when I am holding it in and when I am not. When I buy clothes, trousers(pants) etc I always hold it in.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Just searching for this... do you measure above or below your navel?
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I also constantly hold my stomach in. It's part of my natural posture, I supposed, since I am not consciously thinking about it.
  • stephie4111
    stephie4111 Posts: 118
    Options
    yes i wanna know proper way of measuring waist and hips please
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have a very hard time measuring my waist because of this. I stand up straight and measure, not at all trying to suck it in or hold it in. But then I breathe out slightly, and my stomach protrudes more. And then I try to measure it that way, but I feel like I'm purposely sticking my stomach out in an unnatural way. So I try to suck it in some, but then *that* feels unnatural. And then I get so that I can't figure out what's natural. It's very confusing and annoying. :(