Strength Training-why does it not count for calories lost on

incircles_lp2
incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Maybe I missed this somewhere in the fine print of this website, but does anyone understand or know why strength training exercises don't count for calories burned? I enter many strength training exercises everyday (ChaLean workout program) and receive no idea about how many calories I burn from it. If anyone has advice on how to do this, please tell me!

A general idea of calories lost would be of great help. I am SOOO hungry by the end of the day but I have gone over my calories everyday because my strength training workouts don't "count."

Please help! Thanks

Kat

Replies

• pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    put it under circuit training!

Cindy
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    they do

log them under your cardio section

and use the strength section to track the types of strength you do
  • incircles_lp2
    incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
    Thank you! Does 331 calories burned seem right for a ChaLean Burn circuit workout that lasts 35 minutes though? I sweat so much. Guess I am pretty out of shape!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Thank you! Does 331 calories burned seem right for a ChaLean Burn circuit workout that lasts 35 minutes though? I sweat so much. Guess I am pretty out of shape!

It depends on your weight and stuff... but sounds like a decent average. the best way is to get a HRM, but of course, that costs extra $$$. It's supposed to be a good investment, though.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Just an fyi, there are 2 separate sections for exercise. Cardio focuses on calories burned, and weight training focuses on sets and reps. The weight training section is mostly there so you can keep track of what you have done.

You can safely put your exercise in both (if you weight train), the cardio section has weight training entries, or you can make your own.

One note of caution with weight training. With true weight training (I.E. lifting weights) it's very difficult to know how many calories you burn because much of the burn happens in the 48 hours post workout, unless you keep a heart rate monitor on the whole time, and know accurately how much you would burn without working out, there's really no way to know how many calories you truely burn. My recommendation for weight training calories is enter what you burn during it, and just realize that you'll have a few dozen extra calories for the next day or so to play with.
This discussion has been closed.