how long can a plateau last?

Options
DeeDeeLHF
DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
Hi everyone,

I have been here since mid January and have lost 20#'s. I am really happy with that!!

My sincere thanks to Banks for several of his posts, especially the subject "Expectations" which has helped me so much. I do have a question though...just how long can a plateau last?

I am trying everything suggested. I have tried increasing my calories and increasing my exercise. I have tried decreasing my excercise and increasing my calories, to net 1300-1500 per day. I have switched up my excercises. Started heavier weights with more reps. I have done many of the "shock" treatments for calories and excercise but I am going on 5+ weeks with no weight change. Even my measurments are remaining the same.

I am quite determined not to give up. I know it can't last forever but ...just how long can it last?

Thanks!!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I would suggest is go back and look at your journal, look at what you have been eating. That may clue you in.

If you dont' mind can I see what your eating day is like? Maybe something will show up in there.
  • TNYorker
    TNYorker Posts: 164
    Options
    I look forward to reading the responses you get on this thread because I actually have the same question. I hit a plateau about 3 weeks ago :grumble: and I haven't really lost anything major in inches either. I've tried almost all the things you've mentioned above as well, so I don't get it! :frown:
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that I've ever hit a true plateau, but I've definately bounced into a wall a couple times. I'll lose 10 pounds and then go for a couple weeks just bouncing. The exercise for my is almost always there, but honestly it's my diet I think that slows me down. I get too easy on my calories. Then when I tighten it all back down, I see movement on the scales again. So who knows. All I can say is that if you are burning more than you are eating, eventually you'll move. Sometimes I just don't have the patience! Heehee...good luck!

157695.png
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    I would suggest is go back and look at your journal, look at what you have been eating. That may clue you in.

If you dont' mind can I see what your eating day is like? Maybe something will show up in there.

I don't mind...

Usually early in the morning I will have some type of fruit like an apple or banana(80-100 cal) and drink 1/2 of a protein drink from our local health food store(100 cal.) I then go to the YMCA where I lift weights two or three times per week. Then I do the eliptical for 30 minutes. Cool down and stretch for another 10 or swim for another 30. (I wear a HRM and usually burn between 300-500 calories)

After exercising, I finish the protein drink (100 calories)

At home I generally eat about a 300 calorie breakfast. Either eggs with plain toast and cheese, oatmeal with extra flax seed and 2 tsp of real maple syrup and cinnamon, or whole grain waffle with natural peanut butter.

For lunch I eat another 300-400 calories. Usually a salad or a sandwich. Either one will have turkey, chicken or tuna.

For dinner it is a variety but I am careful about measuring and weighing portions. I eat what my family eats for the most part. I just modify size, so there are stir-fry's, chili, mexican, Italian, etc. I keep my dinner about 300-400 calories depending on how the day is going.

Occasionally we have pizza or take out...again, I carefully measure and control portions.

In the evening I may snack on pretzels, fruit, cheese, peanut butter (natural), and my occasional dark Lindt 85% cocoa or a glass of merlot or zinfendel to make up any calorie defecit from the day.

If I have a day where I am truly hungry, I don't ignore that. I am trying to accept my body and I realize that there are times when I just need a little more than 1200 calories net. There are also days when I am below. I have tried averaging weeks at a time and really my net tends to be 1100-1250.

Any advice is welcome.:drinker:
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    I was stuck for a little over a month. And then I started with a dance class once a week, included a "metablism booster" cardio workout from my Shape magazine and then about two weeks later I started the 30 day shred with a specific menu from "Making the Cut". This is what worked for me, and now I am losing inches and pounds. AND I'm almost to my goal weight by using this.

Hope this gives you some ideas!:bigsmile: Good Luck!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    I was stuck for a little over a month. And then I started with a dance class once a week, included a "metablism booster" cardio workout from my Shape magazine and then about two weeks later I started the 30 day shred with a specific menu from "Making the Cut". This is what worked for me, and now I am losing inches and pounds. AND I'm almost to my goal weight by using this.

I have been thinking about the 30 day shred or the P90X so thanks!!!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options

Be prepared to lose inches before pounds if you go for P90X. I've lost more inches around my waist than pounds so far, hehe ... It's all good to me. Just don't expect the scale to move right away on that one. The inches, however, that one you'll notice by the second week.
  • qtful22
    qtful22 Posts: 10
    Options
    Be prepared to lose inches before pounds if you go for P90X. I've lost more inches around my waist than pounds so far, hehe ... It's all good to me. Just don't expect the scale to move right away on that one. The inches, however, that one you'll notice by the second week.
    [/quote]

This is my issue with Slim In 6...I have lost inches for sure, but not much is happening on the scale. It can be discouraging, but I am so determined this time! I am thinking about adding some time on the treadmill to help with the pounds....
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    Are you tracking your sodium intake? You said you pretty much eat what the family eats, just in portion, right? well some of those can still be LOADED with sodium. Also your snacks--I don't eat pretzels so I don't know about those, but cheese has a good amount of sodium (and fat), and some peanut butters as well.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I would definitely keep an eye on your sodium intake, sometimes I find you end up consuming more sodium before you reach your calorie intake.

She said she eats natural peanut butter, that really shouldn't do it.

Another thing I did notice was at lunch you said you have a big salad, those tend to be low in calories unless you start adding things like salad dressing, chicken or something else. So just out of curiosity, do you put salad dressing on? Do you add in chicken? Just curious and something that crossed my mind.
  • McPushup
    McPushup Posts: 12
    Options
    After reading what you have been eating.........I have found the problem........
    If you are serious about losing weight, then you need to stop eating all of the GARBAGE. Plus, now Im just guessing here, it looks like you are under eating. But without knowing your age, height and weight, like I said.....I am just guessing.
    It does not matter if you are watching your calories if they are all Fat and Carbs. You need to start eating all the proper foods and "stir-fry's, chili, mexican, Italian, pizza ,pretzels, fruit,eggs, cheese"Are NOT IT.
    Well I ran some numbers after reading your profile. But I still guessed -Age 45 Weight 150 Height 5'-6"
    I came up with 1200-1550 Calories of GOOD food to lose weight. Thats with working out.
    So go change your GOALS to 1300 Calories. Change Protein to 45% Carbs to 35% anf Fat to 20%.
    Only one fruit a day. Apple or Banana......Thats IT! 60 to 90 min before you workout.
    Have 1 of your protein shakes after your workout (within 30 min)
    If you are going to eat eggs, make an omelette with 1 egg and 5 egg whites. No cheese!
    Do not eat any later than 3 hours before bed.
    Here is a list of foods you can eat:

Protein

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
    Tuna (water packed)
    Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut, sushi, mahi mahi, Orange roughi,
    tilapia, Sardines)
    Shrimp
    Venison
    Buffalo
    Ostrich
    Protein Powder (Whey, Casein, Soy, Egg)
    Egg Whites
    Low or Non-Fat Cottage cheese, Ricotta
    Low fat or Non fat Yogurt
    Top Sirloin (Sirloin Top Butt)
    Ground Turkey, Turkey Breast slices
    or cutlets (*no processed deli or sandwich meats)

Complex Carbs

Oatmeal (Old fashioned, Quick oats,
    Irish steal cut)
    Sweet Potatoes, Yams
    Brown rice
    Ezekial bread
    Whole wheat bread
    Beer (Just Kidding)

Fibrous Carbs

Green Leafy lettuce (red, green, romaine)
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    String Beans
    Spinach
    Bell Peppers (Green or Red)
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Eggplant
    Onions
    Pumpkin
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Zucchini

Fruit
    bananas, apples

Healthy Fats

Natural Style Peanut Butter
    Extra Virgin Olive oil
    Flaxseed oil
    Fish Oil
    Nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts)
    Avocado

Dairy

Egg Whites
    Low of Non-Fat cottage cheese, Ricotta
    Low or non-fat milk
    Low fat or non-fat yogurt

Misc

Mustard
    Garlic
    Iced tea
    Mushrooms
    Herbal tea
    Onions
    Dry seasonings (Herbal, etc.)
    Scallions
    Lemon
    Salt
    Pepper

I hope I didnt come across to harsh but i'm telling it like it is. You can get down and do it or just keep going through the motions....
    I have much more to add. I can get you off that plateau.....
    If you have any questions or if you want to give me the correct data so I can run the correct numbers feel free to email me@ mcpushup@att.net
    I hope this helped.
    Marcus
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options

The 30 Day Shred as helped me get over my plateau! I've been doing it for a little over a week. I lost 4 pounds and 1 inch in my waist in the first week. (I'm doing it 6 days a week).

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    DeeDee,

Plateaus do happen, and they can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. This is an unfortunate side affect of completely changing our bodies. But, what I can tell you is that with 28 lbs to lose make sure your goals are where they should be (I.E. a 600 plus calorie deficit is probably too much when you NET everything together, I don't have your numbers, but I assume you aren't in the obese category unless that's not your final goal)

Change up the types of cardio you do, do some running, biking, and even some cardio circuits to promote muscle confusion.

Also, if what you're eating is stalling you out, change up what you are eating. I'm not talking about the body shock factor, that works sometimes, I'm talking about the actual every day, good food you eat. I try to encorporate 3 new meals (by new I mean, things I don't eat daily) a week, it changes up the body's patterns and forces it to use new pathways sometimes.

Contrary to some, I don't really see anything wrong with what you are eating specifically. There's nothing wrong with cheese (in fact, I have 2 servings a day of reduced fat cheddar cheese), stir fry (as long as you make it yourself, and keep the oil to a minimum. Tip, water works in a wok just as well as oil with veggies!), mexican is fine (again, if you make it at home, it can be QUITE healthy using flax seed or whole grain tortillas and fresh veggies, and skip things like full fat sour cream and such). Pizza, obviously, can be a dangerous choice, but if you only have it once every couple of weeks it's not going to kill your plan. And whole wheat pretzels (again, in moderation) are a fine choice for a snack (watch the sodium).

So mainly I'd say, recheck your goals, don't shoot for a home run, if your maintenance cals are say...1800, do 1450 as a goal and yeah, eat your exercise calories. Make sure you keep the carbs down at night (no need to eliminate, but no need to stockpile them either) and eat lots of veggies, as many as you can, eat over the RDA allowance if you can, veggies are almost all upside (with a few notable exceptions), chow down on them. I try to get at least 4 servings in a day, sometimes as many as 8.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your help! Your replies have been greatly appreciated.

My next game plan is to increase some of the exercise. I think I am ready to take it up a notch and mix up a couple of things. I still feel so new at this.

Marcus, thanks for the advice! I needed a kick in the pants! Not too harsh! I will increase my protein and focus on that more. I will admit that I was always over on protein and so I was trying to choose more carbs. For the record, most of my carbs are whole grain...if I say bread I mean whole wheat, if I say oatmeal I mean old-fashioned or steel cut. As for meat, if I say chicken or turkey, I mean the real, no additives kind that you have to actually cook!:wink: There is quite a range of what is considered "healthy"...I tend to be of the more the close to nature or how God made it mind set. You would probably consider me a hopless failure as I cannot imagine myself sticking to the proposed diet for too long. :laugh: Give me my strawberries! I will however incorporate several of your great ideas.

I turn 45 in two weeks and I am 5'1" and I am fluxing between 143-144 right now.

I do over do it on sodium. I don't add salt to things but I think for those who are trying to still eat "American" but without the sugar, sodium is our killer!

Thank you Banks! I appreciate your reply and will incorporate all of the things you suggest. I even plan to google "cardio circuits". I will try very hard to mix up my food as well and try a couple of new items. What I make for the family I try to make as healthy as I can afford to.

I will admit that uping my calorie goals to 1450 is scary, as I am assuming that you mean to then eat my exerecise calories in addition to the 1450 but I will try this too.:ohwell: (IF this is not what you meant please send me an emergency post asap! :laugh: )

Again thanks for the "Expectations" post...I might have quit and said, "nothing works" if I hadn't read that.
    I really want to be back down to 115 which is right smack in the middle of my BMI. I weighed 102-112 during the younger child bearing years. Considering my age...OK, I could be happy with a higher number...besides what I REALLY want at this point in the game is to feel well, still have bones that are strong and joints that still bend when I am 80! This body of mine still needs to see me through another few decades, so I want it to be healthy and I want to bring my family with me. I will try to eat even better!

Again my deepest gratitude for the advice and I will keep you all posted.

Dee Dee
  • jblow
    jblow Posts: 7
    Options
    :)
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I too have been in a plateau, so I will be re reading this and trying to find some new advice for myself. thanks.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    For anyone interested, I believe my plateau is finally over. I have lost two pounds in the past two weeks!:blushing:

I am very grateful for this site!!!!!!

thanks to everyone for all of your help and encouragement!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Great!!!