Is P90x really...

Options
worth it?

I'm only 15... I have about 7 bucks to my name (besides what's in my bank account, which I'm not taking out). How much is P90x? Is it really worth it?
I doubt I'll be able to convince my parents to buy anything over 20 bucks.... and I doubt that's what it is... plus, I can't afford weights or anything else.

I've pretty much limited to my bike and jogging/walking.... it's really hard sometimes.

And PS....
Don't freak out because I'm only 15. I'm doctor-approved (actually, more like doctor-forced) to use this site and lose at least 30 pounds.

Replies

• Skagirl
    Skagirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for the p90x but I know it's pretty pricey.

Have you looked into Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred? It's about $14 at Target and is a great workout. You only need light weights (that you can make out of reused milk jugs filled with sand or water if you can't pull the $$ together for them) and about 25 minutes per workout.

best wishes.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you have cable, a few of Jillian Michae's videos are in the On Demand. There's also exercisetv.com and youtube for a really nice variety of free workouts.

Either way, you might want to see about investing in some strength bands and/or weights.
  • johnandbrenda99
    Options
    I just started P90x three weeks ago. I'm on my fourth week and it is totally worth it!!! I love it. I feel stronger and more energetic. I just played tennis today for the first time since starting it and I've never played better. I was faster, stronger, and had more endurance. I can totally testify that it is worth it. I have already lost inches off my waistline.

Just saw your post and wanted to give you my opinion! Good luck!!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    P90X is a great workout but as you asked is it expensive? I'd say yes if you need to buy all your weights etc. to do it correctly. I love the plyo workout to it, you don't need anything extra for that .But why not go to the fitness channel on TV, they have some great workouts too! Besides jogging and biking throw in some situps, walking lunges, pushups, squats, bicep curls, dips? Use milk jugs filled for weight and cans of vegetables until you can afford some dumbells! You need to vary up things so you do not get bored, also try the library for exercise videos or dvd's! Whatever you do I WISH YOU THE BEST!!
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Actually I wish someone would have shown me P90X or Turbo Jam when I was 15...I was also told by a doctor to lose 30 pounds at that age. It took me about 6 months through a strict diet and fitness walking.

Honestly, P90X may not be the best choice for weight loss at first. It is a program designed to build lean muscle and you may see your weight stay around the same or only go down a bit. There are those that have had crazy weight loss with P90X, but many of them are men. We ladies take a while! I'm approaching day 75 in a P90X round and have only lost about 6 pounds. My goal was to lose 15.

A couple years ago when I had some serious weight to lose while trying to join the Air Force (long story), I took up aerobic kickboxing at a local YMCA. Cheap membership, awesome classes, what to lose? I lost about 15 pounds. I upped my intensity level and began taking some basic strength classes at the same gym. I got more tone. Then I added jogging and eventually running. Through that course of one year, I got down to my goal weight. That's one option.

The other option is to try a more regimented program in-home such as Turbo Jam (cardio-based) or P90X (strength-focused) to build your body and lose weight. I've tried both products and recommend them highly.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    up untill oct 31 08 i just used this site and my floor for results
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    I can't attest to P90x, but like a pp stated all I've used is this site, my legs to run my *kitten* off...literally...and occassionally the 30 day shred.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Does your High School or local college have a gym you can use? HS gyms are usually free.

Walking/jogging and biking are good exercises. Don't spend your money if you don't have it to spend.

There have been times when I've found really great exercise videos at local yard sales.

If you know someone who exercises, maybe they'll be willing to lend you some dvds.

Your local library usually carries exercise dvds for you to check out.

If your parents have a nexflix or blockbuster accounts, you can borrow one from there, too.

Hope that helps. I commend you for coming on here and doing something for yourself.

Good luck :flowerforyou: