Las Vegas

Options
I am going to Vegas on Sunday and spending 4 days there. I will need a lot of support when I get back, because I plan on visiting 1 buffet everyday!! Any advice???????////

Replies

• cellorocker
    cellorocker Posts: 290
    Options
    For the buffets, something I've always done is get a salad first. A BIG salad. Take some time eating it. That way, by the time you get to eating the other unhealthy food, you'll be a little fuller.
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    I am going to Vegas on Sunday and spending 4 days there. I will need a lot of support when I get back, because I plan on visiting 1 buffet everyday!! Any advice???????////

I spent a week in Vegas and never hit a buffet...NOT ONCE! Honestly, I'd highly recommend staying away from them! Honestly, for what you're going to spend vs. what you're going to eat it's not really worth it - unless you're going to stuff yourself...and that's not what you want to be doing now, is it? :wink:

Have fun, walk a lot & drink lots of water...you'll be fine!
  • krystad
    krystad Posts: 28
    Options
    go to the buffet with your own mantra something like...everything in moderation...or will i let four days of unbridled food freedom ruin how hard you have worked i find mini mantra's help me in situations like that (im goin to vegas in july so im practicing!)
  • zippitydo
    zippitydo Posts: 62
    Options
    Where should we go instead?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

How often do you go to Vegas? :huh:
    Get your butt out there, eat what you want (you'll find you eat better than you think), drink what you want, and have a blast!!! You can only do so much damage in 4 days!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

there are LOTS of individual restaurants--variety of price points. I live here. just google stuff and you'll come up with choices.

there is cafe babreeba at fashion show mall and a bunch of places in caesar's forum, lots of steak places, pf changs and more, mexican place (outdoor seating) at new york new york.

if you do pick a buffet--consider the champagne brunch at Paris on Sunday. that is so worth the money (at least it was the last time we went)--huge variety of food--bf and lunch--and you can linger as long as you like. take it slow and savor your treats.
    and maybe decide ahead of time that you're only going to x number of buffets for x meals at x places.

you should also consider that you may want snacks here and there instead. like pizza at new york new york, or ice cream at ghiardelli's, or a margarita somewhere. this is a vacation and you should enjoy yourself--but not overdo it. and take advantage of the strip--walk walk walk. check out the exercise room in your hotel. make time for that just like you make time for the shows and gambling, etc.

have a great trip--and thanks for coming to help our economy. :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Look, vacation doesn't have to mean diet disaster. You can still have a good time without pigging out. It's all about the mental aspect.

many of us associate fun and pleasure with food, especially people with weight problems (like us). First thing you need to do is re-evaluate what is fun for you. Food shouldn't really be fun, at least not IMHO. Food should be something that allows us to continue on and have fun in other ways. If going out to eat is how the people you are going with associate to fun, then do some research, and find other fun things in the area, whether it's a night at the tables, or seeing the sites, or going to see the Hoover Dam (whatever your idea of fun maybe), make a plan. When the wife and I went, we did a little research, saw some shows (including that x-rated hypnotist, shady venue, but the dude was hilarious), played some craps (we both love craps), and did some site seeing. Did we eat? Sure we did, did we eat too much? Probably a bit, did we drink too much UNDOUBTEDLY. But it wasn't an out of control mess like it might have been in my past. You just keep in the back of your mind that food shouldn't be the focus of the fun and you should be fine.
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options

We had a lot of great meals in Vegas:

- Grand Lux Cafe in the Venetian was great with a HUGE menu & lots of selection
    - Mon Ami Gabi at Paris was outstanding...the best Filet Mignon I've EVER had (I could've cut it with my fork!)
    - Gonzales Y Gonzales at the New York, New York had amazing Mexican food

We also ate at Trader Vics at Planet Hollywood (it was alright...not really what we were expecting) and BLT Burger at The Mirage (I've had better burgers at Red Robin for less than half the price).

Like I said, we never ate at any of the buffets (in spite of staying at The Flamingo which - I'm told - has one of the best on the strip). We just felt it wasn't worth it...my wife is tiny & doesn't eat a lot and I didn't want to have that "stuffed" feeling.

That being said, go and enjoy your trip!!! Eat, drink & be merry! And put $10 on Black 19 for me...ha ha!

Jeff @ YEG
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    My advice is this....

If you are gonna do a buffet, make it a good one. The Bellagio has the best one as far as I know, very fresh and excellent variety of different ethnic foods!! Also, before you go have a small, healthy snack. That way you wont be starving when you get there and there wont be as much temptation to over eat. Just remember, with all that walking around, to keep your body fueled up with good stuff, carry your water bottle EVERYWHERE. There are lots of great options in the buffet so avoiding it really isnt necessary.

As for other great food....My all time favorite place to eat in Vegas is Emril Lagassi's New Orleans Fish House @ the MGM grand- pricy but omg, the food there is nothing but fresh and outstanding! Appetizers there are incredible and the food is simply undescribable!! Make reservations ahead if you can to avoid the long wait. They are packed every night of the week.

Have a great time!!!!!! :drinker: