Workout DVD's/videos

Options
Does anyone know if there is a way to find out how many calories are burned per specific video? like this video might be just as long as that video but this video makes me sweat more. so is there a way to find out the calories burned (according to weight of course) by video instead of time and genre? {and NSV: I didn't feel the "burn" until the trainer in the video said something about feeling it :) }

Replies

• doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Sweating doesn't equal calories burned. Some people don't sweat a little or not at all and it doesn't mean they aren't burning a lot of calories. Try using a HRM and compare different workouts that way. A lot of workouts can say, "You can burn up to 800 calories", it doesn't mean everyone that does that workout will burn 800 calories. It depends on the person.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Yep, hrm is best. Everyone burns calories differently because of varying weights.
  • doinitforme2012
    Options
    Oh darn! I was hoping there was a guide or something by your weight for each video. i'm too poor to buy a HRM. unless someone can direct me to one $10 or under.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    There's 3 levels of aerobics in mfp's database, I try to gauge how much I feel I worked to decide which to pick, there's high impact, general and low. I also base it on the type of video, cardio ones I put as aerobics, toning I enter as Pilates. Might not be an exact science but I don't have the money for a heart rate monitor to know for sure
  • doinitforme2012
    Options
    There's 3 levels of aerobics in mfp's database, I try to gauge how much I feel I worked to decide which to pick, there's high impact, general and low. I also base it on the type of video, cardio ones I put as aerobics, toning I enter as Pilates. Might not be an exact science but I don't have the money for a heart rate monitor to know for sure

I usually do dance videos and like some of them are supposed to be "calorie burning" or "fat melting" and there's only one level for the dance, aerobic. although i suppose i could log them as aerobics?
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    I would log as aerobics for now as a guide, but remember that MFP usually overestimates. Different people burn calories at different rates. Depending on weight, age, ability, agility, and heart rate. Ultimately the best way to measure with most accuracy is through a HRM. It may be worth you saving up for one - which is how I did it. I put $10 away each month until I had enough to get one I wanted and it, honestly, was the best investment I have made for myself
  • rcolours7
    rcolours7 Posts: 69
    Options
    you can get at n HRM for @ $60 at bodytronics.....also search the internet for a coupon for there too. u may be able to get it a little less than that.

i got the polar FT4 for $65.

i would google sometimes "calories burned" during whatever video & use that. it would possibly give u an "average".