Tummy fat... HELP

Options
I have been working out for 8 weeks now. Have gone from 152 up to 157 in the few weeks at the gym but now am down to 149.5 and my belly is not budging. Everything else is tightening but not that. I spend 1- 1 1/2 hours at the gym 3 -5 days a week. Weightlifting every other day. Planks, incline sit ups with 6 lb medicine ball, bicycle crunches and still it is there!!!!! HELP!

Replies

• premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Everyone's bodies are different. I have the same problem. my arms are toned, my legs are toned, my butt has muscle on it :noway: but my tummy is still there, and same thing, won't budge. Be patient and keep doing what you're doing, because you are still working, your body will keep working and eventually.........get there, that's what I'm hoping for too. So now that everything else is tight, I'm still doing the same things and then a little extra on my tummy, if it's crunches or planks (side planks are great too, help to flatten your tummy) while the ads are on on the TV, this is "extra" though, so after I've done all my workout even with all the tummy work. I know you can't "spot" train but it doesn't hurt to try.
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    Wow, you are hitting the gym quite hard for a newbie. Just be sure to not overdo it. It is better to do workouts 3x a week and stick to them instead of doing them 5x a week for a short while and then stopping. Also your workouts are pretty long lasting. Are you sure you are giving max effort? Maybe you are better of just maxing out for like 30-45 minutes and then stop, instead of going slower for longer periods of time. Just a thought, but since you are making progress there is no reason to change your regimen unless you are not happy with it yourself and need a change. Many people just give up if they suddenly feel like they are living in the gym and there is absolutely no reasons you can't be productive enough if you workout for 45 minutes and then call it a day. What I am trying to convey is that the most important thing here is to keep going and you will see the results, sooner or later.

All of us have our own "trouble zones", that is, areas of our bodies where fat accumulates first and leaves last. So be patient. Since you are tightening up, you are definitely on the right track and as I said, sooner or later, the effect will show on your tummy, too. Remember, it took a lot longer than 8 weeks to get to this stage - if you really want to keep the bulge of, you need to do it slowly and steadily, there are no shortcuts here. But you should be very happy with your results so far, it is great that you are seeing real changes in your apperance after only 8 weeks.

Stick with it and good luck :)
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Cut out wheat. Cut out bread. That will go a long way.
  • chelseap2007
    Options
    I read that jogging is fantastic for tummy fat!! I am just developing my gym routine around my schedule right now, so I have yet to experience it for myself. I am just going to start running this week!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I've had good experience with this approach also.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How do you know that your belly isn't budging? Have you taken before measurements to compare to? Take your measurements in your waist hips and bust. And inner thighs.

When I started three months ago, I took measurements and have lost four inches off my waist and three off my hips. But the only way I could tell is by the measurements because to me, it still looked like my tummy was sticking out. But apparently, because I took measurements, it's not sticking out as much as it was.

With all that exercise, I am certain you will gain the muscle you want and tone up. I wouldn't change anything you are doing. I did the same thing, worked out hard at the gym five days a week and it's finally starting to look like i've done something. I look so much better and toned. Keep at it and have patience!
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have been working out for 8 weeks now. Have gone from 152 up to 157 in the few weeks at the gym but now am down to 149.5 and my belly is not budging. Everything else is tightening but not that. I spend 1- 1 1/2 hours at the gym 3 -5 days a week. Weightlifting every other day. Planks, incline sit ups with 6 lb medicine ball, bicycle crunches and still it is there!!!!! HELP!
    How many calories are you eating every day?
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

I eat wheat and or bread with pretty much every meal.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options

I eat wheat and or bread with pretty much every meal.

this is good news to me :D i love bread (grainy stuff and in moderation of course ;)
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    last spring i lost 40 lbs, my arms, legs and butt all toned up nicely but my belly and lovehandles were still there. I think women have a harder time losing fat from the midsection. Don't give up though eventually it will trim down :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce - you just have to decrease your body fat. Unfortunately the body is a fickle thing - the weight comes off where it wants. I would focus on doing more strength training that incorporates more muscles at one time - e.g. bench press, push ups.

You also may want to try the suggestion re wheat and bread - may not be true but I have also heard that some people can bloat more than others because of it.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Fat in the tummy and hips (especially female) are the first to come and last to go. Give it time and use a regimen that you can maintain long term.
  • MissSonjaBelle
    MissSonjaBelle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Babe, tummy fat is 100% diet unfortunately. It seems to be the hardest thing to change (FOR ME! I can not diet!).
    Try these things: cut out bread and pasta; dinners should be 2 - 3 cups of salad and a piece of protein the size of your palm; only eat in an 8 hour time frame during the day, eg: if you have breakfast at 8am, have your last meal at 4pm, for me, breakfast is 10am and my last meal is 6pm).
    I got these tips from body builders who's body fat percentage is like 10%. No stomach fat in sight!

Good luck bebz
    xoxoxox
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Yes, you certainly have. :wink:
  • slhkitten
    Options
    Depends on the day and my workouts. Under 1200 on days I do not workout and approx 1500 on days that I do(because I am burning around 336 each workout). I eat almost up to the max the program on here calulates for me daily. I always try to stay a little under their specified calorie count but not too far under.