water intake slowing appetite

Options
hey everyone,

three days ago i increased my water intake to a gallon a day. however, i am finding i have a much lower appetite now that i have increased my water. today, for example, i split an apple with my son at 10 am, then ate dinner around 7 (a sandwich) and didn't have anything other than water in between. and wasn't ever hungry. so of course, my calories are way low today, but i'm not intentionally starving myself. just wasn't hungry. and i don't want to "jam" food in, just to get close to my calorie goal. i am usually a little under goal, maybe 200 calories or so.
any one have anything similar happen to them? i am thinking that once my body adjusts to the increased water, my appetite will return. any advice?

thanks.

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    help!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Why did you decide to increase your wate? I thought the recommended was about 1/2 a gallon per day.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel compelled to drink a gallon a day? For most woman that train intensely, 2-3 liters a day is more than adequate. I consume a gallon or more per day, but I sweat perfusely and my job dehydrates me.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I drink 8/10 glasses of water everyday and of course my appetite is a bit low because of this, but I don't want to reduce my water intake because I've seen great results, such as better skin, less headaches...
    Maybe it's just a phase and our appetite will increase again :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Some people never get used to drinking that volume of water. Drinking several glasses of water is a known method to suppress appetite.
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Drinking too much water can cause stress on your kidneys. Seems like overkill to me...
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice. i increased my water b/c my weight loss stopped for a while AND b/c my goal of 8 glasses a day was falling short. so i put the goal of a gallon thinking i would average 8. well, for three days in a row, i hit the goal. and i dropped more weight. based on some of the threads on mfp, and i take them with a grain of salt, some say i should be drinking more than a gallon based on my current weight. i didn't feel like i was forcing water in me, it was just as normal as ever. i'll continue to tinker with it and keep an eye on my results. thanks again to those who responded.