Setting fitness goals

Options
So, my homework from my trainer this week is to set some fitness goals. Sure, I already know how much I want to lose and what size I want to be, but other than that I don't really have any. So, I'm looking for some ideas. What are your goals? I could use some suggestions.

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I would like to run a 5k race and a 10k race at some point in my life.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I think he/she just wants to find out what motivates you... what makes you tick, you know? It's fine to just have a size goal. If that's your goal, that's your goal.

However, once I got a little more serious about using MFP and logging my food, reading the forum, etc... I became intrigued with weight lifting, heavy lifting specifically... and was really inspired by some of the women doing it, and their results.

Also, there was an emotional factor involved for me. I needed to do something in my life that was tangible... I wanted to do something physical that was also mentally tough. Consistency was what I was after, and didn't even realize that at first. To stick with something long enough to really affect change.

So.. don't be surprised if your goals change in the process ;)
  • teenytinii
    teenytinii Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i wanted to do a triathlon and run a half marathon! now i really enjoy both and every "season" make new goals related to these two events. good luck with your goals :) it def helped me stay motivated!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    can be things like
    - want to do a chin up
    want to do 10 consecutive push ups
    can run a 10K
    can run a mile in less than 8 minutes
    can do a front split
    can squat the weight weight of a grown man on my back
    etc

basically your trainer just wants to get an idea of what type routines are going to keep you interested.
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I love this question! Upon some reflection, here would be my ultimate fitness goal list:

Complete 10k in under 1 hour
    Olympic/Long duathlon in 3 hours
    Walk 60k in one day
    Be able to do "the human flag"
    Walk across Iceland
    Cycle across multiple countries (like in Europe) or one big country (Canada/USA)
    Have the time & focus to completely map & understand how my Type 1 Diabetes (blood sugars) reacts to all exercise, all the time (pretty much an impossible goal, but it would be pretty awesome & really helpful to achieve... :))

All the best with whatever goals, big or small, you decide to set for yourself. Good luck!
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Oh!
    run a half marathon!

^ This!

and also...
    chin up

^ 8 of these! (I can do 1 now... j-u-s-t)
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    - To lose almost 40 lbs
    - To run a half marathon
    - To be more flexible again
    - To fit into size 9 jeans again (not really a fitness-fitness goal but definitely a goal of mines)
    - To have visible ab definition
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Right now mine are
    12 strict pushups in both sets of Ripped in 30 level 1 or No more trouble zones
    15 strict pushups in the first set by the end of the month.
    Do all 25 reps of as many moves as possible of Ab ripper x.
    Do ONE chin.