Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Gluten Sensitive ...

Recipes and dieting tips totally appreciated from anyone out there suffering from gluten sensitivity!!

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    As much as possible, stick to whole/made from scratch foods that are naturally gluten free.

Feel free to browse my diary and ask questions. I am gluten free, as well as having a number of other restrictions.
  • bttfly87
    bttfly87 Posts: 8
    Thank you for replying. Cals definately add up quickly eating all those pre-made gluten-free foods (not to mention they offer next to no benificial nutrition). Will use your tip to try and make more things from scratch where I can control the ingredients.
  • AriesOx
    AriesOx Posts: 66
    I agree with the first poster. I'm wheat sensitive, so I buy a lot of gluten free products, but I find them to be quite high in calories. You'll find that rice flour calories are higher than wheat flour - hubby made homemade rice flour pancakes, and when figuring out the calories, we were both surprised by how many calories a cup of rice flour has :)

Both gluten and wheat hide in many different forms/names, so become familiar with all of the names for the various ingredients, and get used to reading labels. I was caught off guard early on by kamut, not realizing it was another (ancient) form of wheat. Same goes for spelt and many others.

As much as I don't really like her, I found Elizabeth Hassleback's book "G-free" to be a pretty good, informative, yet easy read. She is extremely sensitive to gluten, and I'm glad I'm not that bad, so she takes some things to what I consider an extreme, but for her it is vital to her well being. She also points out many places gluten and wheat hide that I had no idea about, so it was helpful :)

Hope this helps, and good luck with finding your way :) I've been at this for 2 years now, and it can be hard work at first, but once you get the hang of things, it goes well :)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    I also have a gluten intolerance (among many other foods) and only eat pre-made gluten free breads once in a while. I have never found a GF bread I've thought tastes good enough to bother with the calories. I do enjoy Udi's bagels once in a while. Cookies and snacks I avoid anyways. I have just learnt to make all my food at home. There are a few GF SF DF protein bars I buy but my days are mostly veg, fruit, chicken, and protein shakes.