Defeated before I begin

Options

Replies

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    OMG, you are doing great. The first time I got on the elliptical, I did 2 minutes and thought I would pass out. That was w/ no resistance. I got off and pretended I had to go to the ladies, I was so embarassed. Now I can do 35min w/ high resistance. It took a while, but I got there. The only one to compete with is yourself. Just do a little more each time. Good luck.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    15-20minutes is more than enough if that's what you can do. those are calories burned all the same, just less of them obviously
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Yes, 15 minutes on the elliptical is huge if you do not do regular exercise. I thought I was going to die after that long on my first time. Now I do my 15 minutes then go do weights and treadmill instead of crawling out of my gym after just the elliptical.

Keep with it and maybe throw in some walking before/after your elliptical to work muscles more and get a little more exercise in.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Getting up and doing anything at all is a great start!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    baby steps
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    15-20 minutes is definitely worth something so good for you! It does also take time, especially if you have never exercised before.

I'm 30 and have never been an active person at all. I bought a treadmill about 4 months ago.. when I first started I could really only do 20 - 30 minutes at 2mph on a 0% incline. Now I am up to 60 minutes at a time at 2.5mph on a 7% incline! I wear a HRM and break a good sweat, I've also developed some good looking calves in that short time. It just takes time and devotion. I use the treadmill 5 - 6 days a week.

A *really* good motivator is music or some people can read or watch TV. I've tried them all and music works the best for me. The workout flies by and up-beat tempos help get me moving faster.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Bubs, you are fine...you will have to build up to a goal...also I think the elliptical is the hardest machine EVER...I can only do 10 min on it right now...When I get off of it, my legs feel like jelly...just go slow and easy and build yourself up and we will build up and massage your ego as you do this! Just because others do an hour or more, remember they have been at it much longer...Do not compare yourself to others, compare only to the "old" you and remember that "something is better than nothing" and keep plugging away at your goal!
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and just started. I'm absolutely thrilled when I can do 30 minutes on the elliptical! You'll get more endurance the longer you do it. And you've lost 13 lbs! You're way ahead of me! Just keep on doing it.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    15-20 minutes is a heck of a lot better than just sitting on your butt all day! I can go for long periods of time now, but when I first started, I was out of breath within just a few minutes. It just takes some time to build up to that long. Don't let it get you down! Just keep at it and soon enough you'll notice that it gets a lot easier to go for longer! :)

I agree with this 100%!!!! You will be amazed at how fast your endurance will increase. If 15-20 minutes is all you can do for now....I say do it! Something is better than nothing. Also, some people NEVER do 1 hour of cardio.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it doesn't do anything until you hit 30 minutes, but then again I have also read that something is better than nothing. Also, it won't take much time til you can build up to 30 minutes. I never thought I'd be able to do 30 and now I find myself able to put in almost an hour. It looks like what you are doing is working for you since you lost 13 lbs so if it's working don't worry!
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think 15-20 minutes is great, starting out or not. Even doctors say 20 minutes of exercise a few times a week is good exercise.

Fwiw, I still get winded on the eliptical after a few very short minutes for some reason, but have built up endurance on the treadmill and bike for up to 90+ minutes. Everyone is different.

Let what you read/see motivate you. Or ignore it, and do your own thing. :smile:
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yes loosing fat mass is my goal... I have a lot to put away...What other techniques are there to use?

Losing fat while preserving muscle mass is your goal. You do not want to lose muscle. Unless you want the "skinny fat" look?

Cardio is really not mandatory to achieve this goal (although it can help, particularly in women). Resistance training is needed to preserve muscle mass. Just cardio will not accomplish this.
  • RhythmGypsi
    RhythmGypsi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi there :D Hopefully you won't take this the wrong way, but it is really inappropriate of you to measure the capabilities of people you know with your own. You haven't practiced yet enough, you know? 15-20 minutes is EXCELLENT for someone who is not used to working out.

Fitness and healthy eating are lifestyle changes, so you have to keep in mind -always- that whatever you do is 100% personal. Every time you compare what you're doing with someone else's progress, you are demeaning your own. It does not matter how long it takes for you to do anything if you are really committed to bettering your Self. If you can imagine putting some blinders on and focus only on what you're doing, it makes the Journey a lot more welcoming.

Come home to yourself, and stay there. Let other's go at their own pace, and be happy that you are doing what you can, to the best of your abilities, for the most positive of reasons. Good luck!

12161155.png
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I just started working out.. I am pushing 40 and have literally never ever exercised before... I just purchased an elliptical hoping to do my cardio at home...

Here's my problem... I keep seeing friends and members doing 60+ minutes everyday on cardio... and I feel beyond proud of myself if I do 15 or 20 minutes ( moments away from falling out). My question... is doing 15-20 doing anything? is it something that I work myself into?

A good friend of mine who's in fantastic shape (dude runs like 20 miles a day...I hate him lol) told me to do what I can handle and try to increase by 10% every week. So if you do 20 mins each time this week, shoot for 22 next week. It may not see like a lot but within a few months you'll be up to that 60 minutes!
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    One step at a time! You have to build up to doing longer. When I was doing the elliptical, I started out maybe doing only 10 minutes until I felt like I was going to die. Now I could probably do an hour or more. I am also doing other cardio workouts like Zumba and Turbo Fire. Just be patient and you will eventually be able to do more! Good luck!
  • abberbabber
    Options
    Oh and also...I think 15-20 mins on an elliptical is freaking amazing! I'm usually dying after like 5 mins on one of those...ugh.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Most health organizations say 30 minutes of exercise per day is a good starting point and almost every one of them say that it is just as good to do 3 10 minutes as it would be to do 1 30 minute. Check out Mayo Clinic website for one that recommends this for those that can't do all 30 at one time.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I

Here's my problem... I keep seeing friends and members doing 60+ minutes everyday on cardio... and I feel beyond proud of myself if I do 15 or 20 minutes ( moments away from falling out). My question... is doing 15-20 doing anything? is it something that I work myself into?

OMG! YES! 15-20 minutes on that torture device is fabulous for a newbie in my opinion! I feel ready to die after about 5! :laugh: You are doing great!
  • abberbabber
    Options
    I

OMG! YES! 15-20 minutes on that torture device is fabulous for a newbie in my opinion! I feel ready to die after about 5! :laugh: You are doing great!

LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one! Those things are evil!
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I suffer from chronic migraines so I really struggle getting exercise in. I would be thrilled to get 20 mins in on my elliptical. I started at 3 mins and have worked up to 12 mins.