Waste of money and a flawed modality.
  • Sammi11710
    Options
    could you elaborate a little?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    could you elaborate a little?
    It leaves out the high tension muscle stimulus required to preserve your muscle tissue. There are much more effective and efficient ways of achieving your goal. I would recommend replacing p90x with a more traditional resistance training routine.

The weights involved are in such a high rep range that it is arguably just another form of cardio (specifically, metabolic training).
    I am not saying that you won't see results with p90x (at least early on). But note that when you are a newbie, you will see results with just about any stimulus from any non-retarded routine. It's called the newbie effect (or honeymoon period).

P90x is just a hell of a lot of trouble for minimal, sub-optimal results. They do have a great marketing scheme so I understand why people want to do it. But just so you know, there is no such thing as "muscle confusion".
    If you are willing to accept muscle loss as a part of your results (and the risk of injury with some of the more idiotic exercises they force you to do), then p90x, insanity, etc. are fine.
  • ShawnDMuth
    ShawnDMuth Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    P90X has transformed more bodies than any other workout routine EVER done.
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the honeymoon effect that he was talking about but if you are looking for something that will help you lose weight and once you reach your goal and maintain it, P90X is a good workout routine. I'm on my second round and I've been keeping my weight and also keeping myself strong. I'm in the military and we have to pass physical test twice a year which consist of running 1.5 mile, push-ups, sit-ups and measuring our waist. Before P90X is score between 75-80. After P90 I scored 89 and had an easier time with the test. If that is a retarded routine, so be it. Work for me and a lot more people.

Also I'm not sure what he is talking about muscle loss. P90X has three different programs. Lean, classic and double program. Lean is mostly weight loss but still build strength. Classic is more on building strength. Doubles has extra cardio stuff
  • Sammi11710
    Options
    thanks for your response :) I ordered it last night and i am excited to start!
  • bmhatcher
    bmhatcher Posts: 105
    Options
    I have done a few rounds of P90X and really enjoy it. I just finished P90X2. It was okay, but I wasn't as motivated with it as i was with P90X. I am starting another round of P90X today. I am also starting a training program for a half marathon. I opt out of some of the cardio in P90X and substitute running in it's place. (I'm not a big fan of jump training).
    What I really like is that the exercises are easy to follow and you can modify them to your fitness level and work up either weight or reps.
    I lost 30 pounds almost 18 months ago and then I took a break for several months while I trained for the Army ten miler.
    It's a great program and I think you will do great!!!
    Good luck!