started excerising and gain weight?

Options
HELLO! so i am so frustrated...I normally never used to workout, my average routine was walking my dog for about an hour or so, and maybe not everyday. I have lost 12 lbs in about close to 3 months. However, i joined a gym and have been going for 5 days straight, doing mostly cardio, treadmill, elliptical, (burning on avg 500 cal) etc. eating still very healthy and today was my weigh in, and guess what? i gained 2 lbs!? i was just telling my mom how thin i felt last night, and how i knew i would be lighter this week..
i was wondering, is this normal because i just started doing exercise? and if it will shed quickly or do i have something chemically wrong in my body!!
thanks for the help..

Replies

• vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    Yes this is absolutely normal. You more than likely have gained muscle mass from working muscles that you havent worked in a while. You will come to find that your clothes may be fitting looser but the scale hasnt budged or has went up a few pounds. This is because muscle weighs more than fat, but it also looks leaner and will cause you to lose inches. As long as you feel good and thin, the number on the scale doesnt matter. Keep up the good work!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, my weigh in was this morning as well. Thanks for the advice.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    same here gained about 6 lbs but waist size still 36 no increase was a 42 tight at one time .
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Most definitely been there. It's a good idea to take measurements because that way you have a little better indicator for when you're truly gaining fat and when you're just replacing your fat with heavier muscle... but you should also notice it in your clothes.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Sorry but you don't gain muscle in 5 days of working out. Everyones weight fluctuates throughout the day and from day to day. What we've eaten, drank, how much, have we gone to the bathroom. Plus for females it's even worse with TOM. Our weight can vary in the 1-10 lb range. And it's normal. Even a scale isn't accurate. Weigh yourself then weigh again and it might be different.

Chances are pretty good you haven't actually gained weight. Keep working out. But don't get to caught up in what the scale says.:flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    What keiko said is true, and add to it this, it is POSSIBLE that you gained a little muscle in 5 days (no where near 2 lbs doing cardio but...) more likely its a combination of keiko's explaination and you activating muscles that have been largely dormant. When you activate muscles that have been in disuse, they gather glycogen stores, which is a combination of glucose and water, it has weight. This is a GOOD thing, it means your muscles are working again, and it will allow you to work harder, longer, and achieve better results.

congratz.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    hello banks how have you been how are those abs coming
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

getting there. Been mega busy lately, so only been able to do a couple days a week of good hard Core work, but slowly but surely. I also have a foot problem with the ball of my foot I'm working through, which makes things rough, but I'll get there, Hopefully by mid-August, I'll be washboard and 8%! Cross your fingers.

Hows tricks with you E?
  • nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options

getting there. Been mega busy lately, so only been able to do a couple days a week of good hard Core work, but slowly but surely. I also have a foot problem with the ball of my foot I'm working through, which makes things rough, but I'll get there, Hopefully by mid-August, I'll be washboard and 8%! Cross your fingers.

Hows tricks with you E?

Hi SHBOSS!! i sent you a message:) hope you can reply
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Hows tricks with you E?

odd, I didn't get it. check your sent items, maybe it didn't go through?
  • nikki4ever
    Options

Hows tricks with you E?

I just RESENT it again, HOPE IT WENT THROUGH..im sending it through the SEND MESSAGE feature...THANK U!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Hows tricks with you E?

I just RESENT it again, HOPE IT WENT THROUGH..im sending it through the SEND MESSAGE feature...THANK U!

nope, nothing. hmm. did you check your sent items in the mail section? If you don't see a message to me in there, it wasn't sent.
  • nikki4ever
    Options

Hows tricks with you E?

nope, nothing. hmm. did you check your sent items in the mail section? If you don't see a message to me in there, it wasn't sent.

how weird LOL! i sent it twice already, and it says SENT...what could i be doing wrong? is there anyother way i can send you this, i would really appreciate your help:)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Hows tricks with you E?

how weird LOL! i sent it twice already, and it says SENT...what could i be doing wrong? is there anyother way i can send you this, i would really appreciate your help:)

I'll send you a message, see if you get it. Otherwise we can go on the chat room.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Nikki4ever.... just had to say that you are in AWESOME shape! I checked out your profile - wow!!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • nikki4ever
    Options

Hows tricks with you E?

I'll send you a message, see if you get it. Otherwise we can go on the chat room.

I received yours!! and i sent you mine like 3 times LOL..maybe somethings wrong on my side!! if it doesnt work we can maybe try the chatroom, whenever yo have a chance..thanks
  • nikki4ever
    Options
    Nikki4ever.... just had to say that you are in AWESOME shape! I checked out your profile - wow!!!!
    :flowerforyou:
    Oh wow thank you, how sweet..but im far from awesome shape!! :wink: I'm working on it though, and i'm loving it..thanks for the compliment:)