I just ran a half marathon!!!!

Options
brookepenni
brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
Today (Sunday 15 April) - I just comepleted something I never thought possible. I ran a half marathon - non stop....!! I ran the whole lot - all of it, every second..... All 1 hour, 55 minutes and 46 seconds to be exact!!! Yep - thats 1:55:46.

I started running back in November - a few days after my 30th birthday. My first race was on 6 November and was just 3.6kms, 22:20 to complete it, and I felt alive!!! This was only the second time I had been running, the first was on a treadmill.

Shortly after I decided to keep trying and aimed for 5kms. A couple of weeks later I started extending the distance.... By the middle of January I was running 10kms. Then came the cut off for early bird registrations for the Australian Running Festival (here in Canberra). Do I run the 10kms and try to complete the dash (50mins cut off) or maybe try for the half marathon...

I entered the HALF MARATHON!!!! So today I ran the event. I had 2 goals in mind - under 2 hours (well I would have taken 2:05 lol) and do the whole lot without stopping... I did it. I ran it in 1:55:46 without stopping! Photos here for proof!! Hehe! A link to my Garmin map is also here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/168089608

This post isnt about weighloss or eating - just me celebrating that I set out to acomplish something and I feel great for doing it. In fact, this will go down as one of the best, most proudest moments in my life. I wont get my first half marathon again - so I am going to savour this and remind myself how good this feels always. Ive already entered my next half-marathon - on the Gold Coast (Qld) on 1 July. So when training gets tough, I will remind myself how I feel right now (with a glass of French Champagne in hand too hahaa!!) and I will make myself get up and run throughout the cold winter I am about to start facing.

So to anyone who wants to run - you can. You dont need C25 or bridge or anything else (I didnt do any of these) just determination, courage and a whole lot of will. Give it a go - it feels amazing!!!!!

P4150059cropsmall.jpg

P4150060small.jpg

Replies

• Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You are truly a wonderful inspiration Brooke. I am pleased to have 'met' you through MFP and look forward to 'cheering' for you in your future challenges!!!!!
    Rest up and thank you for sharing this with us!!!
    Jenni
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you. You are awesome! What sheer determination you have. Congratulations!

Carol
  • foster_karen
    foster_karen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So awesome! I'm doing my first 1/2 marathon in May, I can't wait. Congratulations on your accomplishment :)
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!!!

You look fabulous.
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    you did AMAZING!! especially after the "chip" incident! hehe i gather your throat has recovered?

Your an inspiration to all of us!

:)

ps. what runners have you got Brooke, i'm in need of some new ones and not sure what to get!
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I feel incredible, happy, and proud... And a little bit sore too!

Hollie I have just gotten into Asics DS Gel Trainer (17s) and by far they are the best show I have had (only bought them last week inCairns so spent the week wearing them in). I've had a lot of experience trying shoes - I was diagnosed with Compartment Syndrome this time last year and spent many appointments with a surgeon. Decided to lose weight and get fit before trying the scaple, but as a downside I get sore legs quickly (normally after just a couple of Kms) but these shoes have been awesome. Also recommend the Asics Kayano's - they felt great too but I wore them out very quickly.

Oh and I don't think I will be eating hot chips again for a long time. My throat is still swollen and burnt! Hot coffee is not my friend, nor are apples and toast!!!! Champagne works a treat though!!!!
  • alltalk199
    alltalk199 Posts: 275
    Options
    Well done, absolutely fantastic and an inspiration to everyone! You have blown me away with your determination and passion, OUTSTANDING!
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am so pleased for you. Congratulations on your achievement.

flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! What an accomplishment!
  • celticcateyes
    celticcateyes Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! What a great success story :) Thank you for the inspiration.
    I am hoping to run my first half marathon in January 2013!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration. I started running at the start of last month, when I couldn't even manage 200 metres. Just last week, I got up to a mile without stopping. I'm waiting to start working towards two miles now, but my MP3 player broke and I struggle to run without music so I've had to delay it by a week until my new player arrives.

When I started running I told myself it was just another exercise (I've been living healthy for a year and a half, and have ALWAYS hated the exercise bit). I told myself it was another thing I'd force myself to do, and I'd never set any goals for myself. A month and a half in, and I'm loving it. A mile felt incredible last week, and I've decided to take things slow but to enter a 5k late this year or next summer. I'm not saying anything higher for now, but maybe I'll work my way up and see how far I want to go.
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Brooke! Well done!

I am 60 and did my first 5 k race a couple of weeks ago - looking for the next challenge - not sure about a half meathon though!
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC!!! as you said "you will never forget your first one!" My story is exactly the same!! I still don't consider myself a "runner" as I usually end up around 12 min miles on long runs but....(and this is the great part) I have now done 5 half marathons, 5 "tough runs" (mud hills and lots of water...usually around 9 miles) and last year...A FULL MARATHON! that's right!! I never ever thought I could do it but my boyfriend signed us up which forced me to get it done!! I use to get done with a half and think I could never turn around and run that again but it's not like that...anyway, great job, keep up the training and who knows, maybe one day a full could be checked off your list too!!! (but savour this moment for SURE!!!)
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    You just gave me the chills! Your smile says it all. Just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Today (Sunday 15 April) - I just comepleted something I never thought possible. I ran a half marathon - non stop....!! I ran the whole lot - all of it, every second..... All 1 hour, 55 minutes and 46 seconds to be exact!!! Yep - thats 1:55:46.

I started running back in November - a few days after my 30th birthday. My first race was on 6 November and was just 3.6kms, 22:20 to complete it, and I felt alive!!! This was only the second time I had been running, the first was on a treadmill.

Shortly after I decided to keep trying and aimed for 5kms. A couple of weeks later I started extending the distance.... By the middle of January I was running 10kms. Then came the cut off for early bird registrations for the Australian Running Festival (here in Canberra). Do I run the 10kms and try to complete the dash (50mins cut off) or maybe try for the half marathon...

I entered the HALF MARATHON!!!! So today I ran the event. I had 2 goals in mind - under 2 hours (well I would have taken 2:05 lol) and do the whole lot without stopping... I did it. I ran it in 1:55:46 without stopping! Photos here for proof!! Hehe! A link to my Garmin map is also here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/168089608

This post isnt about weighloss or eating - just me celebrating that I set out to acomplish something and I feel great for doing it. In fact, this will go down as one of the best, most proudest moments in my life. I wont get my first half marathon again - so I am going to savour this and remind myself how good this feels always. Ive already entered my next half-marathon - on the Gold Coast (Qld) on 1 July. So when training gets tough, I will remind myself how I feel right now (with a glass of French Champagne in hand too hahaa!!) and I will make myself get up and run throughout the cold winter I am about to start facing.

So to anyone who wants to run - you can. You dont need C25 or bridge or anything else (I didnt do any of these) just determination, courage and a whole lot of will. Give it a go - it feels amazing!!!!!

P4150059cropsmall.jpg

P4150060small.jpg

Dang, you make me wanna be right there to celebrate with you Brooke!!!

WTG, total and utter inspiration and there was more to all this that just completing that half marathon, you have just bulldozed your way right through a brick wall, there is nothing you cannot do now, you are a star!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Isn't it an incredible feeling crossing that line? Congratulations on finishing and on such a good time (I have yet to break 2 hrs).
  • HJSilva
    HJSilva Posts: 29
    Options
    Under 2 hours!!! Great job, you should be very proud.
  • ElisaRazz
    ElisaRazz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Brooke you are truly amazing. congrats on completing your half marathon <3
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's an awesome time!
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!! I have run 8 of them and my lowest time was a 2:42:17. Yours is truly an amazing feat. I am inspired by you indeed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!