washing lettuce

Options
...best way? ive been shopping at more organic & local farmer markets and have trouble getting my lettuce (mainly the spring-mix variety) completely grit-free with just a strainer and the sink!

do salad spinners actually work...?

Replies

• tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Not only does a salad spinner work, I love mine. I will never have clean, but soggy lettuce again!
  • sexy2gether2012
    sexy2gether2012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Just switching to the organic & local varieties has made me wonder WTH is going on with store bought that never seems to have much dirt. (i understand bags like fresh express they wash & dry it but I'm just talkin about your regular heads of chard or romaine you take home). I'm glad to know from a "real person" that a salad spinner works! I'm off to look for one soon!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I love my salad spinner! I have the one made by Oxo. It seems like a stupid gadget that takes up a lot of space. However, nothing washes and dries greens and fresh herbs like that thing. I consider it a kitchen essential.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I too use a salad spinner and love mine. I don't buy bagged lettuce it doesn't last as long.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love my salad spinner! I have the one made by Oxo. It seems like a stupid gadget that takes up a lot of space. However, nothing washes and dries greens and fresh herbs like that thing. I consider it a kitchen essential.

Very interesting because I always thought that salad spinners were nothing more than a waste of space... Hmmm, might have to find some space! :)
  • sexy2gether2012
    sexy2gether2012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone! ive priced out a few, found a green one to match my kitchen. woot! <3