have you transformed through weight lifting?

Options
hi all,

i am lifting weights 3 times a week and doing roller derby 3 times a week. has anyone out there had success with shredding fat through strength training? pictures?

Replies

• grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sofithomas
    Sofithomas Posts: 118
    Options
    YES lifting has transformed my bod!! I may have some before pics I can send you but atm how I look now is my current progress - i try to lift at least 3 times a week and sounds crazy but cutting down on steady cardio reaaaallyyy helped lifting and eating very healthily (and more!) has been the key for me!!! Keep going!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    DSCN0691.jpg
    Me it 170

Me at 160 with 30% BF
    Photoon2011-06-16at1449.jpg

Me at 136 with 14% BF
    Photoon2011-11-03at1025.jpg

Annnnd the famous Cloud Strife Hair!!!!!
    P1060280.jpg

You only really need to lift 3 times a week but dont waste time doing isolation work.
    Only do simple compound lifts.

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Presses,
    Military and Bench press
    Chin up
    Rows
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    bump.. there are lots of women here who've had great success and have pictures to show, the ones I'm thinking of are in the states though so it may be a bit early for them to see this.

My experience with lifting:
    When I started MFP I was 150lbs, around 27% bodyfat. I had experience of lifting for around a year previously, but hadn't lifted regularly in around 9 months.
    I lost weight and got down to 130lbs, and then started bulking to build muscle as I didn't have as much as I wanted. Got back up to 150lbs again but this time round I was 22% bodyfat, and my clothes fitted better than they did at the same weight previously.

Since I've been cutting I've only lost 4lbs but have lost quite a few inches, a lot of my "lower weight" jeans that didn't fit at 150, are now fitting at 146 (1 is even slightly loose!) even though it didn't fit at all in January.

I haven't got many decent pics as I haven't finished cutting / got to my goal yet but..

This one was at 150lbs (after bulking) and 147lbs in March.
    edit4.jpg

Comparison of 130 and 147lbs
    edit3.jpg

130 and 147lbs. Legs are bigger but I don't think in a bad way (I wanted more size/muscle in my legs)
    edit1.jpg

This was at 130lbs, 150lbs (after bulking) and 147lbs in March.
    edit2.jpg
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I don't have "muscle" pics like the others but you asked specifically about fat loss. Between the middle & right picture I lifted weights aggressively 3x a week or so, with 3-4 days of cardio.

2012-04-08.jpg
  • grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    wow!! this is amazing. thanks guys.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You only really need to lift 3 times a week but dont waste time doing isolation work.
    Only do simple compound lifts.

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Presses,
    Military and Bench press
    Chin up
    Rows
    Isolation work is not a waste of time. There are pros and cons to both.

Some pitfalls of compound moves (from http://www.musclehack.com/do-compound-exercises-really-build-more-muscle/)

(1) What I call the “WEAK LINK” effect.

If one muscle within the group being worked is quite weak, it will be responsible for the termination of the set before the other muscles obtain the requisite intensity to stimulate growth. With compound movements, you’re only as strong as your weakest link.

Take the lat pulldown for example: the weaker biceps and forearms will fatigue before the more powerful lats do, meaning you didn’t thoroughly stimulate the body part you intended to when you selected this exercise!

(2) The “DILUTION” effect.

Compound exercises work MULTIPLE MUSCLES to a LIMITED degree, whereas an isolation exercise can work a SINGLE MUSCLE to its MAXIMUM degree. Think about it, a compound movement DILUTES the resistance across many muscles which is not optimal for growth of the intended muscle e.g. the pecs in a bench press.

Actually, for the example above, the bench press will only impart 40% of the available resistance to the pecs! The rest being taken by the triceps and deltoids.

(3) The “NO PCP” effect.

The PCP or PEAK CONTRACTION POINT is the only point in any exercise where it’s possible to recruit 100% of the available muscle fibers. If the exercise you’re employing doesn’t take the intended muscle into this position, it is absolutely impossible to recruit all the fibers.

BOTTOM LINE: incorporate both isolation and compound work as needed.