question for the runners - please help

Options
Hello all,

My name is Claudette and I started running 2 years ago when I joined a local walk/run group. With this program I was able to run a 5K just 6 weeks into the 12 week program and I ran that race in 38:23, then at the end of the 12 week program I ran another race and this time I ran it in 33:15. Fast forward a year and my running has slacked dramatically, on a good week I am running 3 days for only 3 miles, then 2 months ago I got it in my head to sign up for a half marathon - with 18 weeks to prep I thought I could do it, well I have not trained at all due to numerous issues at home that kept me away from the gym and I only have 6 weeks left before the race and I now have a bad back and cannot run at all. I am hoping that the back issues will clear up this week so I can get back on track to the training. The race is May 27th.

I should also say that I did get one longer run in a few weeks ago - I ran 7 miles in 1:22:10

Do you think its possible to run the half with only 6 weeks of real training?

Thanks

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

My name is Claudette and I started running 2 years ago when I joined a local walk/run group. With this program I was able to run a 5K just 6 weeks into the 12 week program and I ran that race in 38:23, then at the end of the 12 week program I ran another race and this time I ran it in 33:15. Fast forward a year and my running has slacked dramatically, on a good week I am running 3 days for only 3 miles, then 2 months ago I got it in my head to sign up for a half marathon - with 18 weeks to prep I thought I could do it, well I have not trained at all due to numerous issues at home that kept me away from the gym and I only have 6 weeks left before the race and I now have a bad back and cannot run at all. I am hoping that the back issues will clear up this week so I can get back on track to the training. The race is May 27th.

Do you think its possible to run the half with only 6 weeks of real training?

Thanks

no. coming of an injury and with only doing a max of three miles at a time, you will not be able to successfully run a marathon. you risk further injury and having to bail out of the race.

most half marathon training plans are about 18 weeks long, and you slowly bring up your distance, and then taper off.
  • darrindlb
    darrindlb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have ran my first half marathon on 3-24-2012. I started training in late November. Most training programs have a 12 to 18 weeks training before the run. You may want to run a 5K before committed to half just to see have your pace has changed. With your back being in bad condition, I would see if possible to aim for half marathon 12 weeks away. Does the half have a time limit for running the course?
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    HI Darrin,

It doesn't say that it is a timed race or not - I figured if I am run 7-8 miles of it and then walk the rest if I have to. I am so excited to run this race, my goal is just to finish in a decent time, say under 3 hours and I don't care if that is 2:59:59 :smile:
  • hagamivida
    hagamivida Posts: 129
    Options
    If it has a limit, it will likely be under four hours, if that helps you make a decision.
  • cushygal
    Options
    If it has a limit, it will likely be under four hours, if that helps you make a decision.

That is true - so I could possibly run/walk it
  • cushygal
    Options
    bump
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Here's my .02..... If you had previously run longer distances, full or half marathons.... THEN had the interruption in training and injury.... then yes, I think it is possible to train for a half in 6 weeks. Because you would have had the base mileage at one point and a general higher level of running fitness. But, since it sounds like your farthest race distance has been a 5K and you have had interruption in training and an injury.... then no, I don't think 6 weeks is long enough to safely bring your mileage up to where it needs to be. I say give yourself an additional 6-8 weeks then see if you can sign up for another half..... Or if you live in a place where there are loads of Fall races - just spend the summer building your base and increasing your mileage. Do some smaller races during the summer - maybe a 10K or two.... and focus on a half marathon in the Fall. :)

Good luck!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but I did my first half marathon in January. Before, the longest I had run continuously was 3.1 miles/5K race. The day of the race, I ran the entire 13.1 miles in 2:10:05, and only slowed for water stations, and stopped once to stretch. I say go for it, but don't overdo it and listen to your body! I had a friend do it with me, and she completely blew off training and stopped working out, but she was able to finish around 3 hours. :) Good luck!
  • cushygal
    Options
    Here's my .02..... If you had previously run longer distances, full or half marathons.... THEN had the interruption in training and injury.... then yes, I think it is possible to train for a half in 6 weeks. Because you would have had the base mileage at one point and a general higher level of running fitness. But, since it sounds like your farthest race distance has been a 5K and you have had interruption in training and an injury.... then no, I don't think 6 weeks is long enough to safely bring your mileage up to where it needs to be. I say give yourself an additional 6-8 weeks then see if you can sign up for another half..... Or if you live in a place where there are loads of Fall races - just spend the summer building your base and increasing your mileage. Do some smaller races during the summer - maybe a 10K or two.... and focus on a half marathon in the Fall. :)

Good luck!

Thank you. Sadly in my area there is only 2 half marathons, but numerous 5Ks - the 5Ks are easy for me that is the reason I wanted to push myself for the half. I will say that I did manage to get in 3 good weeks of training where I was running 3-5 miles a day and then many interruptions took place and that is when the 3 times a week at 3-4 miles happened, but I think if I can get a 8-10 miler in within the 6 weeks I can walk the rest.

I will do this, so long as the back heals quickly. fingers crossed:smile:
  • cushygal
    Options
    Everyone is different, but I did my first half marathon in January. Before, the longest I had run continuously was 3.1 miles/5K race. The day of the race, I ran the entire 13.1 miles in 2:10:05, and only slowed for water stations, and stopped once to stretch. I say go for it, but don't overdo it and listen to your body! I had a friend do it with me, and she completely blew off training and stopped working out, but she was able to finish around 3 hours. :) Good luck!

Thanks sc - I think I will go for it. Its hard to turn back especially when I have told folks that I am running it, so as long as I can complete it and run most of the way - I think I will be fine. I CAN do this :happy: