Don't get me wrong, I love my treadmill...

Options
....but 300 calories for 90 minutes worth of work? Ugh, it kills me!! I love burning 300, just wish it didn't have to take as long!!

I'm a SAHM, so I don't really have a ton of options, but does anyone have a cardio video they love that would allow me to lose more calories or the same in a short period of time?

Thanks in advance, all!

Replies

• MsAziz
    MsAziz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can do it in a lot less time than that. Try increasing the incline and just make your movements really lively, and do not ever hold on.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Insanity or 30 Day shred with Jillian Michaels
  • BecCutting
    Options
    wow I would have thought it would be more than that. My girlfriend burnt 1001 cal doing 120min walk at 5.2kph (approx. 3.2mph) with an incline at 8. So maybe as MsAziz suggest, increase your incline to get your heart pumping more.

Other than that, I have heard the work out video's Power 90 or Slim 6 are fantastic... I have them now, however I am yet to use them myself. All in good time tho
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I have friends that use these.

TurboFire®
    The Best Trainer. The Best Music. The Best Workouts. The Best Spot in Class. Burn up to 9x more fat and calories as traditional cardio with Chalene Johnson’s intense cardio conditioning program, featuring High Impact Interval Training (HIIT).

Debbie Siebers' Slim in 6®
    Reshape your entire body in just 6 weeks. Debbie's unique Slim Training® system of cardio and light resistance allows you to burn fat and sculpt a sexy body—fast. Thousands of people have lost up to 25 pounds in just 6 weeks. You can, too.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I found that once I started using my HRM I learned that I burn double what the treadmill says I do. I burned 1450 doing 93 min the other day and yesterday I burned 526 doing 35 min. Both times The fastest I went was 4.2 mph and the slowest was 3.5 incline at 2
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what you were doing for 90 minutes?
    Increase intensity by increasing speed or incline.
    I burn 445 calories in 30 minutes of running.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i burnt twice that in a third of the time. ok, granted, i'm a 6' 3" dude... but still. were you walking??? you need to up the intensity.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what you were doing for 90 minutes?
    Increase intensity by increasing speed or incline.
    I burn 445 calories in 30 minutes of running.

this ^

OP how fast were you going on your treadmill? 300 calories seems awfully low for the amount of time you were on it.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yes, what others are saying. Up the incline to 9 at a speed of 3.3 and do not hold on. And if you can, get an HRM, treadmill numbers are way off.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Like the others who commented, crank it up! I am a 6'5" guy, but I burn 500 in 45 minutes on 3.8 mpg speed (fast walk) with a 6 incline. That's a very brisk walk - not even a run.

Feel the burn!
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Unless you treadmill is counting your weight, height, age, and sex, etc, it is most likely not accurate. You need a heart rate monitor.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Can you borrow someone's HRM? That sounds way low.

I quit using my elliptical because it was telling mr I only burned 48 calories in 40 minutes. As a SAHM I can tell you there are plenty of other things I could find to do with 30 minutes. My HRM restored my faith in exercise.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I get 310 calories for 30minutes - 6% incline @ 7k/h

All the best

:flowerforyou:
  • schwim
    schwim Posts: 65
    Options
    Is the calorie reading from the treadmill or mfp? do you have a hrm? I take the calorie reading from mfp with a grain of salt. I'm going to purchase a hrm soon to get an accurate reading. Try to make sure your pushing your self on the treadmill to get a good burn off.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    300cal for 90 minutes is incredibly low.

Typical people burn 5-10 cals per minute of cardio, so 450 would be a conservative guess at the number of cals burned. Only exception would be if you are going so slow you are barely elevating your HR, then it wouldn't really be cardio to begin with.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others! If you are sweating and panting you are burning more than that. If you are not sweating and panting... You need to increase the intensity (speed and incline).

I am 5'10", 238lbs. I burn 325-500 calories in 38 minutes all depending on how hard I am pushing myself (if I can talk then I'm not working hard). Sometimes I add hand/ankle weights to increase the burn if I know my feet aren't going to move fast enough (I have psoriatic arthritis).

The incline at the beginning ramps up my heart rate... Then I lower the incline and increase the speed to keep my heart rate up. My treadmill ALWAYS underestimates my calorie burn compared to my HRM... Even though both work off of a chest strap.

Also really swinging your arms and pulling your stomach in, shoulders back increases your heart rate (engaging more muscles with proper form!). If you don't have an HRM...it's soooooo worth buying one so you get more accurate numbers.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    What?! Hmmm... I burn 300-600 normally doing 60 or so on the treadmill. What's your speed/incline? I normally vary speeds and inclines, and the tougher the workout, the more you burn. Plus, treadmills and other machines aren't always accurate. I got a HRM for Christmas and whenever I used the elliptical, it said I burned half of what the machine said. Yet, with the bike, I burned more on my HRM compared to the machine.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I burn about 260-300 cals in 30 minutes doing the 30 day shred :)
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have the Biggest Loser workout DVD I like them. I don't know how much calories I burn and the videos are about 25 minutes. I ordered them all from Amazon
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yep on the HRM suggestions. Machines tend to be wrong, and not always in the way you'd expect.

Have you tried intervals? Walk for a minute or two as a warm up, then give it all you've got for about 30 seconds. I mean, you should be sucking air! Walk until you can almost catch your breath, maybe a minute, then run again. You can burn more in 15 minutes this way, than in 30-40 minutes of steady walking/jogging. Good luck!