If you wake up late, should you just skip breakfast?

Options
Because of my sleeping habits, I usually don't wake up until 10 or 11 (usually don't go to bed until 2 or 3 though).
What I do is, I make breakfast and lunch as 1 (brunch). Is it okay? Will it be harder for me to lose weight? :(

Replies

• jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Options
    I would really like to know this as well! cause on a saturday- its my day to sleep and recover. and i just let my body rest till its ready to get up (usually 10/11).
  • illecl
    illecl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I usually do, if I get up late. It's an opportunity to eat a little less on one day or have a nicer brunch. I think it's good to mix up meals a little. Your body gets used to what you ordinarily do.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I never skip breakfast. I call the first meal i eat within an hour i woke up breakfast, from there onwards i start counting till lunch. I would skip my morning snack tho :)
  • starblazing
    starblazing Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    if you are going to bed late, i dont think it should matter. you should eat within 2 hours of waking, the earlier the better, but as far as what time, your body doesnt know that it's almost noon, especially if you are going to bed late. i dont worry about it and i usually get up around 10-12 on my days off too and i am still loosing. good luck!
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I work afternoons 12.30pm to 9pm

If I do a walk or workout in the morning before 10am I have some cereal but I usually try and have a cooked breakfast (brunch) around 11am to 11.30am. At work my 'lunch' break' is at 4-5pm and I have chicken and/or sandwiches

When I get home, I try and have something such as a Quick Cup rice with microwave steamed vegies and more chicken or fish

For snacks I have low fat yoghurt or protein cookies. If I only have cereal in the morning I have a scoop of protein poweder with it, fruit and a couple of tablespoons of low fat yoghurt
  • mswn02
    mswn02 Posts: 38
    Options
    I never skip breakfast even when I wake up late. I will just eat something small/light for my breakfast (e.g., a slice of cantaloupe instead of my usual egg whites and sliced turkey).
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it doesn't matter when you eat your calories as long as you get them all in.

If you wake up late and are hungry then eat.. if not, then plan to have a bigger lunch/dinner and a few snacks.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast all the time. I have been losing just fine.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    Personally I never eat breakfast (ie: a meal shortly after waking up), it just doesn't work for me. I am a night owl and like eating late. On my workdays I get up around 7am, head to work at 8:30 am and eat my first meal at 11am. I have a snack at 3 and a meal at 5. I get off work around 8pm, hit the gym for 60-90 minutes then head home and have my last meal of the day around 10pm, sometimes as late as 11.

So far this schedule has worked out fine for me. Days I don't have to work/eat late the night before, I might grab a cup of yogurt around 9 or 10am if I'm feeling really hungry, but generally I don't.

Bottom line, do what seems right for you and your body, IMO!

ETA: I am, as you can see, still getting in 3 meals on workdays. On days off I only do lunch (12-ish) and dinner around 6pm. As I said above, this doesn't seem to hurt my weight loss, and I can enjoy a reasonably big meal with my family on my days off as I bank a lot of calories for dinner those days, typically.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I just push back my meals if I wake up late and usually dont have many snacks.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    breakfast as in break-fast. Is the first meal after you fast (sleep). Have it whenever you want. Total cals/macros matters most, not when you intake them.
  • tojam28
    tojam28 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should skip breakfast, which could be anything (i.e. a piece of fruit and a cup of milk). I think that whatever time you wake up, you should eat within an hour of that. It gets your metabolism going for the rest of the day.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I never skip breakfast, I just move things around. Breakfast is my favorite meal.
  • Mzfoster0517
    Mzfoster0517 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Because of my sleeping habits, I usually don't wake up until 10 or 11 (usually don't go to bed until 2 or 3 though).
    What I do is, I make breakfast and lunch as 1 (brunch). Is it okay? Will it be harder for me to lose weight? :(
    We are supposed to eat 5 to 6 small meals a day to help prevent overeating and unevenness in your energy levels plus to keep your metabolism up and steady. I'm not sure one day a week will hurt you to bad. I totally understand sleeping in, but even when I sleep in I still eat all my meals, even if I'm not hungry.
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    like others have said it doesnt matter when you eat your calories but for me if i skip breakfast i end up snacking alot more than i usually do on alot worse items so i personally cant skip it

the brunch idea is great though i think :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should skip breakfast, which could be anything (i.e. a piece of fruit and a cup of milk). I think that whatever time you wake up, you should eat within an hour of that. It gets your metabolism going for the rest of the day.

this is incorrect

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    We are supposed to eat 5 to 6 small meals a day to help prevent overeating and unevenness in your energy levels plus to keep your metabolism up and steady. I'm not sure one day a week will hurt you to bad. I totally understand sleeping in, but even when I sleep in I still eat all my meals, even if I'm not hungry.

This is incorrect..nothing says you have to eat 5-6 meals. Eating when not hungry is what got us all fat in the first place.. no?

As long as you get all the calories in, it doesn't matter when you eat them.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options

[edit to add: while I was trying to search and post about this, chris beat me to it!]

I am pretty sure I've seen links posted about the whole breakfast/metabolism link being a myth. I'm on a phone (makes surfing and doing links hard for me) but it might be worth doing some looking around to confirm that is fact.
  • randomartisrgirl
    Options
    If you feel like it. Do what feels comfortable! Don't eat unnecessarily if you aren't hungry. If I wake up late, I sure don't make a point of eating breakfast. Early lunch, maybe? Saves more cals for later. :wink:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    NO I don't, I just eat a piece of fruit or yogurt if I wake up around 10-11am then will eat lunch between 12-2pm. I'm a diabetic & so I can't afford to skip any of those 3 main meals.