HRM for tennis

Options
I'm starting a tennis class on Monday (I've played for years but use the class as a way to keep up my skills and meet people to play with). In the first couple weeks, we'll be doing a lot of drills, which means a few minutes here and there of waiting in line to hit and receiving instruction from the coach.

I plan on wearing my HRM for the first time for tennis....since it's not actual matchplay where I would actually be running the entire time, will the calories burned be accurate? I doubt any stopping in between being active would be more than 2-3 minutes, but am I still burning calories (albeit slowly) during those stops here and there, or should I deduct some from the total burned at the end?

Replies

• jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    you could always walk in place during those times you have to wait, to keep your heart rate up...
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a tennis class on Monday (I've played for years but use the class as a way to keep up my skills and meet people to play with). In the first couple weeks, we'll be doing a lot of drills, which means a few minutes here and there of waiting in line to hit and receiving instruction from the coach.

I plan on wearing my HRM for the first time for tennis....since it's not actual matchplay where I would actually be running the entire time, will the calories burned be accurate? I doubt any stopping in between being active would be more than 2-3 minutes, but am I still burning calories (albeit slowly) during those stops here and there, or should I deduct some from the total burned at the end?

Honestly, you really should deduct some calories off everytime you use your HRM, not just in this type of situation. The way I calculate mine is based off my maintenance, since maintenance should be 0 loss, 0 gain, just the number of calories you actually use per day. I take that number (1650 for me) divided by the number of time increments I want to use in 24 hours (96 in this example, since there are that many 15 minute intervals in a day). So, 1650/96= 17. So for every 15 minutes I work out, I subtract 17 off my total calories burned. If you play tennis for an hour, and the HRM says 300 calories, I take 300-68=232. The reason for doing this, is because your HRM does calculate the actual number of calories burned, not just the extra from exercising.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Honestly, you really should deduct some calories off everytime you use your HRM, not just in this type of situation. The way I calculate mine is based off my maintenance, since maintenance should be 0 loss, 0 gain, just the number of calories you actually use per day. I take that number (1650 for me) divided by the number of time increments I want to use in 24 hours (96 in this example, since there are that many 15 minute intervals in a day). So, 1650/96= 17. So for every 15 minutes I work out, I subtract 17 off my total calories burned. If you play tennis for an hour, and the HRM says 300 calories, I take 300-68=232. The reason for doing this, is because your HRM does calculate the actual number of calories burned, not just the extra from exercising.

I see....how do you figure out your maintenance? On my goals page it says the calories I burn a day from normal activity is 1850 and my daily calorie consumption goal is 1400. Do I use either of those numbers for calculating my maintenance?
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I see....how do you figure out your maintenance? On my goals page it says the calories I burn a day from normal activity is 1850 and my daily calorie consumption goal is 1400. Do I use either of those numbers for calculating my maintenance?

I went in and changed my goal to maintain instead of losing. Once it told me the number of calories, I just went back in and changed it right back... no harm done.