Is it bad to drink more than 8 glasses of water a day?

Options
Everyday I drink at least 8 so I was wondering if its bad to drink anymore? It's only 9:30 am and I already drank 3. If it is bad to drink over 8 what are some good HEALTHY drinks. Also if its bad to drink over 8 should i try and substitute like Gatorade in instead of water during my workouts?

Replies

• SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think its great to drink lots and lots of water! But too much water also isn't a good idea either. The more you drink the more you pee...and that can affect your bladder. It can turn into an overactive bladder. With that being said I don't think it will hurt to drink a littler more than 8 glasses a day, just be aware if you start having to pee every hour! :)

Also...check out this site from Livestrong about water vs gatorade!
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/75369-gatorade-vs.-water/
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about numbers. Drink when you are thirsty, stop when you aren't. Drink whatever you like, water, Gatorade, juice, tea, coffee, whatever you like. Stop worrying about a random arbitrary number that has no actual basis in science.

Some people are properly hydrated drinking 4 glasses a day, some people need 20. It's all relative, and highly individualized, your body is extremely good at telling you how much you need.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I drink between 12-16 glasses a day.
  • jocelyn_martin
    Options

Are you drinking because you are thirsty or because you are trying to satisfy a specific number or something else? I'm asking because excessive thirst can be a sign of diabetes. See your doctor.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't stress about a number. I have a hard time drinking water, but try to get 48oz of pure water a day and then I also drink some juice at breakfast and coffee and tea as well as crystal light throughout the day. I tend to drink until its clear or nearly clear when I pee. 48oz a day keeps me in that zone.

Google cell osmosis and how the body stays in homeostasis and it will help make they why of drinking water (and why you pee so much sometimes and not others) a little more clear :)
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You should dink at least (yourweight) / (2.2) = ounces of water each person should drink.
  • yeahimateacher
    yeahimateacher Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten some great answers, but I wanted to comment on Jocelyn's. As the parent of a child with diabetes, I know you want to take any concerns you have seriously. If excessive thirst is your only symptom, the likelihood of diabetes is low. However, the symptoms my daughter had did not even seem like symptoms!! Losing weight (rapidly) was just one of the effects of her pancreas shutting down. Since you're probably working on weight loss if you're on this site, you might feel rewarded by the weight loss rather than concerned. Pay attention to anything unique going on with your body and if you have doubts at all, get checked. It is a quick trip to the doctor and a finger prick. No biggie.

That being said, if you're thirsty you may just be more active or even just more aware of what's happening with your body. Blessings on your journey!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I drink between 10-20 a day depending on how much I'm doing and my thirst. If you only drink when you are thirsty, then you are already dehyrated, but everyones hydration level is different. I drink a lot of water and always have. That is in addition to the coffee I drink as well which is usually between 3 to 6 cups. (huge cups) But I'm one of those freaks that can have an esspresso and go to bed. :drinker:

If you force feed your body so much water (any liquid) you get sick it's too much, but unless you do that it's really hard to drink too much water.
  • cashmoney05
    Options
    I usually go by the rule of pee color. In basic training they had these silly charts at every urinal telling you to drink more water depending on your piss color. If your pee was yellow at all, it meant you aren't properly hydrated and need to drink more. Generally thats what I go by, but i agree if you arent doing anything to make you thirsty, you most likely dont need much to drink. I always drink at least 4 bottles of water, which is about 8 cups regardless.
  • Hollyjd1019
    Hollyjd1019 Posts: 148
    Options
    I usually drink about 12 cups a day sometimes more sometimes a liittle less. I do try to drink more if I'm having a higher sodium day. And I only count water in that count. I have a cup of coffee most mornings and I drink decaf black tea w Splenda everyday too. I also try to have a cup of green tea (brewed not bottled) daily. Occasionally I'll have diet caff free coke. :). But, I don't count any of that toward my cups of water.

I have never heard of anybody drinking too much water except for it mentioned on here. But, I'm sure it is possible. I would imagine it would take quite a lot though.

And I have also read & heard that you should divide your weight in 1/2 and that is the amt of oz you should try to drink.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You should dink at least (yourweight) / (2.2) = ounces of water each person should drink.
    According to who?
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Are you drinking because you are thirsty or because you are trying to satisfy a specific number or something else? I'm asking because excessive thirst can be a sign of diabetes. See your doctor.

^^sorry but this is totally ridiculous. I drink around 11-15 cups of water a day. I drink probably 6-7 of those while I'm working out. I drink a lot of water because I LIKE to, it makes my skin look good, and it makes me feel good. Suggesting someone who likes to stay hydrated is likely diabetic and needs to see a doctor is a HUGE leap, and just silly. :grumble:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Water is my primary beverage, and I drink > 8 cups almost every day. Not because I 'have' to, it just works out that way for me. I've concluded I need more water than average to feel hydrate and ward off water retention, though.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If more than 8 is bad then I should be dead. I drink over 25 cups a day and I'm still dehydrated. :p
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options

1 drink about 12-16 glasses daily. At first it was a challenge to drink a full 8 everyday, but I find the more I work out and harder I sweat the more I crave - so 12 glasses barely gets me half way through my day! I DO NOT HAVE DIABTIES
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Interestingly much of the so-called hydration "research" has been funded by none other than Gatorade. The 8 glasses a day is arbitrary - trust your thirst and the colour of your urine. (Having said that driniking 8 galsses of water is better than 8 glasses of soda, I do advocate being properly hydrated and water is my beverage of choice)

If you perspire heavily during exercise and exercise a lot you'll need more fluids than soeone who either exercies less or perspires less.

As summer approaches it is more important to be proactive about your hydration.
  • mommy_from_mi
    mommy_from_mi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In the weight loss challenge that I attend every week (led someone who is a nutritionist and personal trainer), one of our classes focused on drinking adequate amounts of water. According to Sparrow Weight Management Center (one of the leading hospital programs here in Michigan), adults and children over 100 pounds should divide their weight in half, and that's how many ounces they need to drink. " When you wait until you are thirsty, you are already dehydreated and may have lost 1/2 - 1 quart of water. It is important to drink BEFORE you become thirst! Caffeinated and sweetened drinks are not part of the solution because they can contribute to dehydration. Water works best."
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Also there is theory that caffeinated drink,s like coffee or alcohol actually dehydrates you and you should drink as least a glass of water for every glass of coffee/alcohol you have, that is on top of your normal daily 8. Logging coffee as a glass of water is kind of silly in that regard!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Also there is theory that caffeinated drink,s like coffee or alcohol actually dehydrates you and you should drink as least a glass of water for every glass of coffee/alcohol you have, that is on top of your normal daily 8. Logging coffee as a glass of water is kind of silly in that regard!

You're right...Coffee and tea are known diuretics, and should most definitely NOT be counted as water. Good Lord, this thread is making me thirsty!!! :drinker:
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I personally think that as long as you are hydrated, you are fine. I have days where I only drink 6 glasses of water, and I'm fine. I also have days that I can't seem to get enough. In a normal day I drink anywhere from 9-15 glasses. It helps that I have a big water cup with a straw that is 3.5 cups (or 28 ounces) of water per fill up. Also, if I have a high sodium day, I feel the need to drink more water to keep the sodium moving and to keep myself hydrated properly. I say drink whatever keeps you satisfied.