Loosing weight W/O a thyroid.

Options
My aunt ( mkathib ) is currently using MFP. A while back she had her thyroid removed. What works for most people is not as effective for her. I was wondering if anyone out there has this problem and if so, what advice could you give?

Also, feel free to add her as a friend. She's fairly new here :)

Thanks!!!
-Adriana

4298065.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hopefully she is working with an endocrinologist? Advice from a weight loss forum may not be in her best interest healthwise, in my personal opinion. Dealing with thyroid issues while trying to lose weight requires attention and committment to healthy foods. There's lots of info on the internet that refer to 'thyroid diets' ... if you want my $.02 worth for anyone to lose weight, I'd suggest a reduced carbs diet (under 75 grams per day) where the carbs come from vegetables and limited fruit (there's enough fiber if you eat vegetables), avoiding added sugar, and eating fish, poultry and lean meat. This worked for me; still, I'd emphasize professional advice would be preferred.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    A good link for her to read and discuss with her personal physician:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/191980-how-to-lose-weight-after-thyroid-removal/
  • CTBlanchard
    Options
    This is near and dear to my heart. My thyroid is in the process of being destroyed by radio-active iodine treatment. She should definitely consult with her doctor because each person is an individual. From what my doctor and I discussed, we need to do the same things that everyone else does to lose weight...reduce calories, exercise,etc. It will actually help along with the medication that she should be taking...the medication should be giving her the hormones that the thyroid produced. If that medication is off balance, I know that it will effect her ability to lose weight. A close friend of mine went through about a year of medication transitions in order to get to the right level and now she is in the process of losing weight. I think everyone's rate of weight loss is different and she should not judge herself by others without thyroid conditions, everyone's body is different regardless. I will add her as a friend. Do not give up! We can do anything we put our mind to, and half the time it is because of something we heard and now believe that we manifest it physically. Positive thinking, consultation with her doctor (endocrinologist), and good weight loss practices will have her well on her way!
  • catramsey2
    catramsey2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with the same issue. I don't have a thyroid and taking a synthroid (T4) only. I have fatigue, sore legs, hair loss, depression and hard to loss weight! I went to my doctor yesterday to ask if we added T3 to the mix, if it might help. So I will be starting with low dose 5g to see if I get any better. Because I am 56, the doctor said I can only take a low dose as it could cause a heart attack.

I started my weight loss on Oct. 1, 2011 and lost a total of 38 pds and can't seem to lose anymore. So frustrated. I have increased my exercise to 5 days a week doing cardio everyday and weight lifting 3 Xs a week.

Thanks,

Cathy
    Austin