Hearts_2015
Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
Microwave One Minute Muffin Recipe

The Ingredients:

1/4 cup flax meal

1 egg

1 tablespoon butter

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon (sometimes I use pumpkin pie seasoning)

1 1/2 teaspoons sweetener, I use honey

1 tablespoon fresh or frozen blueberries (or smashed banana, shredded apple, etc)

hearty coffee mug sprayed with cooking oil

microwave

The Directions:

Put the first 6 ingredients in a large glass measuring cup or bowl, and whisk to combine. No need to melt the butter or get it to dissolve–if it’s still in a clump, it’s okay. Mostly try to get the baking powder evenly dispersed. Now stir in the blueberries or whatever fruit you’re using. Pour into a greased coffee mug and microwave on high for 1 minute. Let it sit for a bit, then pour onto a plate; or you can just eat it out of the mug with a spoon. The butter will have melted and made a tiny bit of a “sauce” with the melted blueberries. YUM.

The Verdict:

This is a pretty customizable recipe; feel free to swap out the honey with splenda, agave, brown sugar, etc. There isn’t a drop of flour, making this a naturally gluten free muffin, and if you use non dairy butter it could certainly be dairy-free and I’m imagining an egg-replacer would work okay. If you change up the ingredients and it works, let me know!

It tastes good. Not oh-my-gosh-this-is-the-best-muffin-ever, but actually pretty good considering it’s made completely out of flax meal and has just a tiny bit of sweetener. You can certainly junk it up by adding lots of sugar and more oil, but it’s really actually pretty good just like this. I like that the flax has so much fiber and the egg has a nice shot of protein so if I eat this along with my morning coffee I’m pretty sustained until lunch time.

have a great day, and enjoy your muffin!

http://totallytogetherjournal.com/2012/04/ (Check out her site for great photos for the above recipe)

Replies

• philosohoe
    philosohoe Posts: 272 Member
    I haven't had breakfast yet, so right now this sounds amazing! No flax meal in the house though...:laugh: Thanks for sharing!:flowerforyou:
  • philosohoe
    I tried it out! I did make a few adujstments, but the consistency and taste are pretty good :bigsmile:

--Instead of flax, I used regular white flour
    --Instead of baking soda, I used baking powder
    --Instead of butter & fruit, I used apple sauce
    --Instead of honey, I used one packet of stevia
    --Cooked for 1:15 because the apple sauce was more moist

I used the pumpkin pie spice & sprinkled a little cinnamon sugar on top. Very yummy! It tastes kind of like a bread pudding. I added just a dash of milk (1/8 cup) and warmed it up to make the bread pudding comparison even closer. Plugged my ingredients into the recipe calculator and came up with 279 calories; 9 grams protein; 6 grams fat. I don't pay that much attention to sugar, so I'm sure my version is higher there than yours, but still better than the stats on a Costco apple-cinnamon muffin.

Final review: YUM!:bigsmile:
  • MAK_01
    MAK_01 Posts: 553 Member
    I will be trying this one soon! Thanks for sharing :D
  • Effy826
    Effy826 Posts: 33 Member
    bump
  • ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    OMG, I will have to try this...as soon as I figure out what exactly flax seed is and where/if I can buy it....
  • bump
  • philosohoe
    So I started experimenting with this recipe again, and instead of plain flour, I used 1/3 cup of pancake mix. It already has a rising agent, so I didn't have to add baking powder or anything. A fruit cup and a splash of water, and VOILA! Pancake Muffin! Today I didn't have any fruit cups left, so I used half of an apple sauce cup and some crushed pecans. The extra apple sauce I poured on top of the cooked muffin along with the cinnamon sugar. OMG, tasty! :love:
  • Hearts_2015
    Bummmmmmmmmmp! I posted this? How funny, it looks good (aka-healthy) and I was about ready to type in ..."thanks for sharing!" :laugh: :laugh: :blushing: :bigsmile:
  • mdorman8313
    mdorman8313 Posts: 109 Member
    BUMP
  • Hearts_2015
    bump
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Lucky for me I had all these ingrediants. I put in half a teaspoon of baking powder rather than baking soda and I weighed my berries to be 50g which was perfect for the muffin. I had to put mine in for an extra 30 sec. Tasted yum and no mess!
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    bump
  • kmayne
    kmayne Posts: 82 Member
    Bump
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Thanks for recipe
  • Hearts_2015
    bump request
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Bumpin
  • mammiehorn
    mammiehorn Posts: 119 Member
    bump
  • Infauna
    Infauna Posts: 89
    Bump, this sounds good.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Microwave One Minute Muffin Recipe

The Ingredients:

1/4 cup flax meal

1 egg

1 tablespoon butter

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon (sometimes I use pumpkin pie seasoning)

1 1/2 teaspoons sweetener, I use honey

1 tablespoon fresh or frozen blueberries (or smashed banana, shredded apple, etc)

hearty coffee mug sprayed with cooking oil

microwave

The Directions:

Put the first 6 ingredients in a large glass measuring cup or bowl, and whisk to combine. No need to melt the butter or get it to dissolve–if it’s still in a clump, it’s okay. Mostly try to get the baking powder evenly dispersed. Now stir in the blueberries or whatever fruit you’re using. Pour into a greased coffee mug and microwave on high for 1 minute. Let it sit for a bit, then pour onto a plate; or you can just eat it out of the mug with a spoon. The butter will have melted and made a tiny bit of a “sauce” with the melted blueberries. YUM.

The Verdict:

This is a pretty customizable recipe; feel free to swap out the honey with splenda, agave, brown sugar, etc. There isn’t a drop of flour, making this a naturally gluten free muffin, and if you use non dairy butter it could certainly be dairy-free and I’m imagining an egg-replacer would work okay. If you change up the ingredients and it works, let me know!

It tastes good. Not oh-my-gosh-this-is-the-best-muffin-ever, but actually pretty good considering it’s made completely out of flax meal and has just a tiny bit of sweetener. You can certainly junk it up by adding lots of sugar and more oil, but it’s really actually pretty good just like this. I like that the flax has so much fiber and the egg has a nice shot of protein so if I eat this along with my morning coffee I’m pretty sustained until lunch time.

have a great day, and enjoy your muffin!

http://totallytogetherjournal.com/2012/04/ (Check out her site for great photos for the above recipe)
    bump