All inclusive vacations

Options
wilberfamily
wilberfamily Posts: 111 Member
My husband and I have been doing MFP since January for our health but I'm secretly getting excited about looking good for our 20th wedding anniversary which is a little over a year away. I'm starting to look at destinations now so we can save money. It is a good motivator and something I'm really looking forward to. He really wants to go somewhere we can swim in the Pacific. I really don't care as long as it is tropical. Has anyone gone to one of the all inclusive resorts and have any recommendations or advice?

Replies

• Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    we did an all inclusive vacation for our honeymoon (19 years ago) and on a few trips around Europe. I highly recommend them. We often seemed to come out ahead though sometimes it was a bit pricier but not much and it was just so nice to not have to bother with money or waiting for the check for a meal or spending more than you thought you would.
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    all inclusive IS the very best way to travel...hands down. esp since it sounds like you're wanting a relaxing, beachy type vacay....i've been to cabo to an adults only resort and it was grand! no kiddos, no super young college kids and lots of relaxation! highly suggest it!

and, congrats on your anniversary! have fun!
  • wendywwhite
    wendywwhite Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know too - but for ones where my young teenagers can have fun too.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Depends whether your idea of a good time is to stay within the confines of your hotel grounds and only having food and drink provided by them, or whether your idea of a good time is spending your days exploring the surrounding area and eating in various local restaurants.

Some people do like to just lie on the beach all day, or enjoy the entertainment options provided by their hotel, and for those people all inclusive can be cost effective and convenient.
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Dreams resort in Puerto Vallarta. Awesome experience and great food and booze. Watch the ratings when you look - some are more cheap, okay buffets and okay booze. Go nicer - especially for a special occasion. We did a suite and had our own plunge pool off the patio for my 40th. Good luck and have fun!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    We've stayed at all inclusives in Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, and Jamaica. We loved every one! You save so much money compared to other trips!
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Try a cruise vacation. I have been on many and they are all inclusive except alcohol and you can see many places at once. I love taking them.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The Royal Cancun Hotel and All Inclusive resort is amazing. We stayed there two years ago.
    Fantastic free food, free alcohol day and night, no kids (which wouldnt be good if you have kids), great rooms and service, walking distance to all sorts of shops and tourist crap.
    It's also right on the beach, so no walking ages to find a spot.
    Close to a dolphin swim and there are several ancient ruins that can be visited by bus (or rent a car).

We went in October and it was perfect.
  • melonsss
    melonsss Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If I was not a mummy, I would steer clear of all inclusives (just a personal preference). Recently We stayed in an all inclusive resort in Antigua and St Lucia . In Antigua I opted for room only which worked out to be more expensive but the other resort was great value and I don't consume alcohol. I must say though all inclusive is not good (well for me) if one is trying to eat healthy and keep the weight down. Postive aspects however include - that one can relax and not be concerned about choosing where to eat, or worrying if the spending money will stretch. I would only stay all inclusive at four or five stars as I think a three star hotel would consist of a lower standard of food and drinks. For our next non Disney trip we will be visiting Nevis and I will choose a hotel that provides half board consisting of wholesome decent food. Good luck on where you decide to go.
  • wilberfamily
    wilberfamily Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love all the responses. Thanks. We are thinking about taking our teenage twins (will be 16 by then) and having them be best man/maid of honor as we renew our vows so we need to look at those options too. We have tried cruises before but we tend to have more time on the beach and at the destinations than on the boat. We love to snorkle and kyak so water activities would be great.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    We love to snorkle and kyak so water activities would be great.
    Ooh, think about Egypt!

The Red Sea is amazing, coral reefs straight off the beach and an astonishing variety of species of fish, plus great culture for non-sea time! :bigsmile:
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Have been to Mexico, Barbados and Antigua on all inclusive - and they are all fantastic places to go especially on the Caribbean sea - my aunt has been to the Maldives and if she could would go back there - very romantic and amazing scuba and snorkling - may be worth a look
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I did a week at the Riu on Paradise Island (Nassau) in the Bahamas. I had a great time. The locals were super friendly, it is right next to The Atlantis if you are into aquariums or gambling, and the climate is amazing.

The food was top notch and the booze was all quality stuff and flowed like bad advice in the MFP nutrition forums.

We rented scooters and cruised around to check out everything away from the super touristy spots.

Have fun!
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Check out homeaway.com! I am addicted and you can hit the grocery for most of your meals and go out when you want. And the lodging can be way cheaper depending on your tastes. :smile:
  • long4theocean
    long4theocean Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have been to quite a few all-inclusives and can recommend some as this is my business. If you are celebrating 20 years without children I would definatley suggest Couples Negril in Jamaica or one of the Sandals properties. In Mexico I would recommend either Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Riviera Maya. If you are planning on taking the kids I would suggest Beaches Negril in Jamaica or there are lots of options in Mexico such as the Iberostar properties, Sandos Playacar and Dreams Riviera.

Please feel free to ask me any questions that you might have.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    DO NOT go to Cuba. Me and DH went all inclusive for 2 weeks on a 2 resort holiday and spent over £1000 to get back home after 6 days...it was the worst experience of our lives.

Can give you details..I put a review on trip advisor but they refused to print it lol!
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Go to Maldives, it is so beautiful there.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    All inclusives get old for my wife and I after a couple days. We like to see as much as we can and visit as many places as we can. When we go to an all inclusive, it feels like we are limited to the same ol stuff.

We got engaged, honeymoon, and going to spend our 1 yr all in Mexico (playa del carmen)

Congrats on your anniversary! :)
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love all the responses. Thanks. We are thinking about taking our teenage twins (will be 16 by then) and having them be best man/maid of honor as we renew our vows so we need to look at those options too. We have tried cruises before but we tend to have more time on the beach and at the destinations than on the boat. We love to snorkle and kyak so water activities would be great.

It's not the pacific, but the Mexican Riviera Maya area has many great all-inclusives. We've gone the past few years, taking our teen-age sons. We've stayed at the Iberostar Maya and the Iberostar Lindo in Playa Paraiso and also the Grand Palladium which is a bit further south. Our boys had a blast each year. Yes, all-inclusive food gets repetitive after a few days, but there's nothing to say you can't go on an excursion and get out and try the local scene. If you do go to the Riviera Maya area, I'd highly recommend going on an excursion with Edventure Tours - they will customize a day for you that can include exploring local ruins, ziplining, snorkeling and lunch. Checkout the reviews on tripadvisor.com.

BTW, congrats on your upcoming anniversary!!