Butter, oil, etc

Options
2»

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    you might want to try using a cast iron skillet! almost no oil necessary once you've built up the seasoning on it, and you can find them in thrift stores for cheap.

edit: intended for post directly above.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    When I make my own broth, I don't add anything except the vegetables im using, I don't even add salt.

I do this, too, especially in the summer. use almost any fresh produce "scraps" that you'd normally throw away, cover with water. boil, then simmer into stock. I don't add salt to mine, either, but to taste it, I will add a couple grains of salt to the spoon.

I let it cool, then put it in freezer bags on a baking sheet (to lay flat) then I stack them in the freezer for later use.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    Coconut oil is one of the best oils to cook with - it doesn't absorb into the food (I cooked hot dogs in it & was amazed at how different they tasted!)
    it's also one of the healthiest oils out there - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html

You could also put olive oil in a spritz bottle & use that instead of the spray oils
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    you might want to try using a cast iron skillet! almost no oil necessary once you've built up the seasoning on it, and you can find them in thrift stores for cheap.

edit: intended for post directly above.

Seriously?! Why is that? Is it because they're so heavy and durable as opposed to flimsy pans of today?
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is one of the best oils to cook with - it doesn't absorb into the food (I cooked hot dogs in it & was amazed at how different they tasted!)
    it's also one of the healthiest oils out there - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html

You could also put olive oil in a spritz bottle & use that instead of the spray oils

Thank you! How would you measure the olive oil in the spritz, though?

But I think I'm gonna def try the CO. It's quite oily, from what I remember and I know where to get it for cheap.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I use a Misto Olive oil sprayer. I don't worry about the calories because 8 tablespoons of oil lasts almost 2 months. Calories per spray are negligible.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    And another thing... oil does not make you fat, too many calories makes a person fat. you need fat in your diet. it has all kinds of health benefits. I have an article writtne by a cardiologist that says the "fat free" craze has lead to the increase in heart disease. I'll post it as soon as I find the link :-)
    edit to add link..

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease