Beginner strength training

Options
2»

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I would suggest focusing on compound moments that work more than 1 muscle group at a time. Look into the programs:
    New Rules of Lifting for Women (book with tips and programs)
    Starting Strength (Book with a lot of good info and routine)
    Stronglifts 5x5 (Google it to get into and the workouts)

If you don't know how to do any of the lifts, ask someone and check youtube.
    Protip:

Dont take lifting advice from magazines.
    They want you to fail and buy supplements in the belief that youll look better.
    Dont listen to Dr. OZ.
    Hes paid by supplement companies to sell you on ideas like Raspberry Ketones????

Do read New Rules of Lifting For Women.
    Do read The Stronglifts Report.

Both will skyrocket your success.
    Both are very easy to get into.

there are quite a few women on here who can attest to New Rules of Lifting for Women (including myself): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
    I think it's a great beginner program. I'll be done with it in a few weeks and will move onto something else for a while, but plan to come back to it for round 2 later this year or beginning of 2013.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Get the book 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women' It has good info! PS: I find pushups are great, could not even do 2 when I started here, It took a long time and now I do some almost daily.
  • pitawingnut
    pitawingnut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I would suggest focusing on compound moments that work more than 1 muscle group at a time.

Yep.

As a beginner, I was told to make sure I did deadlifts, squats and bench presses.

I also did
    -pull ups (beginners can do variations eg assisted, toes on chair etc),
    -dumbbell bent over rows and
    -overhead shoulder presses.

Twice a week.

Definitely saw improvements in physique and strength, the trick being to keep reps low and volume high - 3x6 (the final repetition must be hard enough to mean you've really got to work). So for newbies I'd recommend just those exercises. Eat right, drink water and get plenty of rest.

Over time (6 months), you'll see which areas need more work. For me, my shoulders needed more focus so I added other exercises.

Let's face it, at 40, I look better than I ever did.

So, to summarise, do:
    -deadlifts
    -squats
    -bench presses
    -pull ups
    -dumbbell bent over rows

Twice a week, 3 x 6 reps.

"But what about ab work?" All of those exercises work the core.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I looked into the "New rules for women" book, but am having trouble getting one that can be delivered.
    How necessary are protein powders/shakes?

I don't expect that I would ever have the dedication to look "ripped" but I do want to build at least a little muscle. I don't really have any noticeable definition at the minute.
  • EmeriaDewes
    Options
    Bump
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

When doing strength you want to insure you are getting at least .8 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass. If you can get that from diet alone, great. Most of us use protien shakes to suppelment to get there. To get that amount helps muscles recover from the training.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I looked into the "New rules for women" book, but am having trouble getting one that can be delivered.

Protein shakes are only necessary if you cannot eat enough protein from "real" food.
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    MFP has me on 121g protein, which is 30%.
    My LBM is 121 lbs, so going by your .8 multiplier, that's 96.8.
    Does it matter if I'm eating over?
    I'm sorry if these are stupid questions by the way and thanks for taking the time to answer.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I would suggest focusing on compound moments that work more than 1 muscle group at a time.

Yep.

As a beginner, I was told to make sure I did deadlifts, squats and bench presses.

I also did
    -pull ups (beginners can do variations eg assisted, toes on chair etc),
    -dumbbell bent over rows and

Twice a week.

Definitely saw improvements in physique and strength, the trick being to keep reps low and volume high - 3x6 (the final repetition must be hard enough to mean you've really got to work). So for newbies I'd recommend just those exercises. Eat right, drink water and get plenty of rest.

Over time (6 months), you'll see which areas need more work. For me, my shoulders needed more focus so I added other exercises.

Let's face it, at 40, I look better than I ever did.

So, to summarise, do:
    -deadlifts
    -squats
    -bench presses
    -pull ups
    -dumbbell bent over rows

Twice a week, 3 x 6 reps.

"But what about ab work?" All of those exercises work the core.

Darren you are amazing!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    bump
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength

It's right in the title. :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Darren you are amazing!

Not entirely sure why.
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    Best workout I have come across to help you with everything is Jamie Eason 12 week live fit trainer. .It is on body building.com and its free. There is also a facebook page that you can join with other active people doing the same workout to help you with any questions you might have.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • zeepotafb
    Options
    bump