Body fat % needed for abs in women?

Options
What percentage of body fat do women start showing definition in their abs?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I would love to know to.
    Last time I measured it looked like I was at 19.6%
    I need to measure again soon because I am starting to see some cuts in my stomach so maybe it went down?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There is prob no clear cut answer, it will depend on musculature of your abs and your genetics

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I would love to know to.
    I need to measure again soon because I am starting to see some cuts in my stomach so maybe it went down?

And I'm at 17%, still flabby on top of the abs. I keep hearing "you can't spot reduce fat, just keep working at it" but in all honesty I'm not sure how much lower I need to lower my body fat % before I start having problems with Amenorrhoea.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    It's 8-10% for men I believe.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php

Using the chart, maybe 16%? Best guess.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Men is around 16. As mentioned above it tends to depend on your genetics as well as how defined your abs are in the first place.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    14% or lower
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I would love to know to.

And I'm at 17%, still flabby on top of the abs. I keep hearing "you can't spot reduce fat, just keep working at it" but in all honesty I'm not sure how much lower I need to lower my body fat % before I start having problems with Amenorrhoea.

Then maybe you need to make your abs bigger so they have more of a chance to show through. Mine show a bit at 21% but my fat is in my leg not my belly and I just went through a bulk where I tried to increase muscle size.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on lots of factors like genetics. Generally, below 18%is considered athletic though.
  • shaycat
    Options
    I would love to know to.

How do you measure yours? I just did a random one online and it said I was at 25%. That seems way to high for me.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Haha, I love all the very specific answers that are completely different than the one before. Sports nutrition and fitness are such an exact science. ;)

I tend to agree with the one dude above that said it depends. Larger, more developed ab muscles will obviously protrude and be more visible.

Whatever it is, good luck to you, you look great!
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    There is prob no clear cut answer, it will depend on musculature of your abs and your genetics

Checking the link now. I might add I had an 8 pack from ages 8-14, and had about 10% body fat (I was a competitive gymnast). Because of that I started period later (not enough body fat) and it was a really ****ty experience I'd rather not deal with again.

I wonder if that's necissary for me to look like I want again. =\
  • justnotthatcreative
    justnotthatcreative Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    11-12% is what I've been told. I'm trying to get there as well but i would just like it if i saw them when i tense my abs.

Apparently you can work out roughly how long it takes but taking 12% from your current body fat then dividing it by 0.5%.

The idea is that you can, if your dedicated, lose 0.5% of body fat a week...

However, everyone is different especially us ladies. Just keep at it, take progress pics to keep your motivation up!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It will depend your muscularity there as well as genetics (where you store fat most)

I've never had visible ab definition and the lowest I was was around 17%. I did a bulk last year and I'm now cutting so hopefully when I lose the fat again, I might have a little bit showing as I have more muscle. I store most of my fat in my stomach though so is especially hard for me.
  • shaycat
    Options

Checking the link now. I might add I had an 8 pack from ages 8-14, and had about 10% body fat (I was a competitive gymnast). Because of that I started period later (not enough body fat) and it was a really ****ty experience I'd rather not deal with again.

I think you look nice. I dont think you need to lose to much more body fat.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

I think you look nice. I dont think you need to lose to much more body fat.

Thank you. It's just really frusterating to be told "well you don't look fat... But you definetly don't look fit" since then I've been on a vendetta to show that person where they can shove it. From 20% to 17% I haven't seen any changes in my stomache. :(

It feels like making little to no progress.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I appreciate all the reply's. I was hoping there would be an exact science to it! :P
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Im at 26% and mine show. Im genetically gifted though.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I think your next step, if you want to improve, would be to build muscle since you pretty much can't get any skinnier and remain healthy.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I was shooting for 19%.. But I have no idea if that is even right!! lol