Biking to work

Options
2»

Replies

• dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have biked to work in the past and have a couple of suggestions.

- Vest is great idea
    - Have a light on the front and back and set them to flash when you ride even in the dayatime. Drivers are often just not looking for us.
    - Have an extra outfit at work. Showing up and realizing you have forgotten your clothes can be a disaster!
    - Plan for problems. If you get a flat can you fix it? If so carry a new tube or patch kit. If not plan on who you can call or if you can chain your bike up and catch a bus.
    - Fender or a back rack. When it starts to rain I hate having water spray up at me.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I used to cycle to work every day, all year round, whatever the weather. It was about 2.5 miles each way along a lovely stretch of river, so I didn't have to worry about traffic. It wasn't far enough for me to get very sweaty.

I'd recommend it as a great way to start and finish the day. With the right clothing and lights you can do it all year round.

I moved house and have to use the train now, but I get about 3 miles walking in as part of journey now. I'd much rather do this than have to get in a car and drive to work.
  • bryonysten
    Options
    Hi
    I cycled to work for 15months, I worked 75 miles away from where I lived and the easiest and least stressful commute was cycling to the station, taking the train and then cycling the other end.

I cycled about 7 miles a day. I was incredibly unfit when I started, and because I knew I had no other choice than to cycle every day I bought a folding electric cycle (electric so that I wouldn't cop out in the rain, and folding so they couldn't chuck me off the train if there was no room).

If I was doing it now I would probably get a nice lightweight mountain bike with slicks (for road biking). Make sure you spend time to buy a bike which feels fun to ride.

In addition / confirmation of the other tips:
    1) Helmet - not optional. I had one with a flashing light on the back and peak on the front which helped in the rain
    2) Lights, front and back, I had a flashing back light
    3) I had lit flourescent 'spokey dokeys' inbetween the spokes on my wheels
    4) Flourescent vest
    5) Trousers with flourescent strips
    6) If you don't have a shower at work, wet wipes and good deodorant work as long as you haven't been really 'going for it' on the way in - save that for the way home
    7) I had a couple of changes of outfits / shoes and even emergency make-up in a drawer at work
    8) Get a bag for the front of your bag, great for carrying outfits, food, book, computer etc etc

I also had a 'buff' snood thing which kept my ears warm in the winter. I was still cycling when it was snowing, minus10 degrees, pitch black and even through the riots we had in the UK last summer...

Cycling is great fun, it really used to chill me out after my day at work, and even the rain was fine when you're wearing the right gear and you know how long it will take to get home. I also cycled at 6.30am and 7.15pm so the roads were reasonably quiet.

Good luck, you'll enjoy it. I miss cycling, but living in India now and its just too dangerous.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I ride to work; 13.6 miles each way.
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I Ride to work 3-5 days a week right now, it will be 5 days a week when the snow and Ice are gone.

The best advice I can give is;

1) Learn how to fix and tune up your own bike, practice changing tires before you need to do it on the side of a road.
    2) Good Lights, a reflective vest is a good idea, but really good light will make a huge difference, both front and back.
    3) If riding a mtn bike, get some slick tires for it, they are much better for commuting (and they are fine in the rain)
    4) get some bike shorts, there are some types that are designed to be worn under normal workout clothes, they help a lot.

I ride on the road with traffic and not on the bike paths, I wear bright colors and have good lights, it is very rare I get a drive being aggressive towards me because I am very visible and maintain a straight line leaving room for them to pass in the same lane.

Don't run red lights, obey all traffic laws as if you were in a car and most drivers will have no problems with you on the road.

And most of all enjoy the ride!
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't but my husband does. Here is the advice he's given to other people:

1. Invest in a good road bike.
    2. HELMET HELMET HELMET.
    3. Wear a reflective vest, especially if you're riding at night.
    4. Buy a light for your bike - they usually have combo sets with a front and tail light.
    5. Get a bike repair kit with a portable pump, innertubes, patches, etc. Nothing sucks more than getting a flat on the way and having no way to fix it.

Hope that helps :)

Excellent advice except for the fact that road bike will not be necessary unless you are trying to commute more than 5-10miles and/or trying to commute with a greater than 15mph average speed.

I currently commute 1-2 days a week with a goal of commuting by bicycle 5 days a week. However, my commute is 21 miles each way so it takes a fair bit of committment in time and preparation. I allow 1.5 hours for the ride in and a few extra minutes to change clothes (a road bike is best ridden with a cycling jersey and shorts).

On more thing, if you are on rural roads like myself. WATCH FOR DOGS! I have learned that in the country the dogs are more dangerous than the cars and not because they might bite you. On February 3, 2012 a dog hit me from the side while I was moving 22+ mph resulting in a Type 3 AC joint separation in my shoulder, a nasty concussion, and plenty of road rash. After the trip to the emergency room I slowed down for February and only recorded 380 miles on a bike. This month I am at 476 total miles already witha 21 mile commute home. I have turned into a bicycle riding freak and love it!
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Smart! The vest is a good idea. You can't trust drivers anywhere. People are busy and preoccupied. Wear a helmet too. I love to ride but have almost been hit a few times. Pay attention. You need to make sure they see you! Happy riding!
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I try to ride to work most days, but as it's 25 miles each way, the weather plays an important factor in me deciding to cycle or not. I won't do it if it's lashing down or dangerously windy (+20mph).
    I don't have a shower in work either so what i do is wear a decent base layer corefit top that wicks away the sweat then when in work strip off and wipe clean with anti-bacterial wipes, spray all over with deodorant and jobs a good un (no complaints so far anyway!)

link to tops;
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=dhb+corefit hi viz base layer