running- how to control my breathing

Options
2»

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options

Try and slow down just enough so that you're almost walking, but stay in running form, and that might help. Even if you're going slower running than you would be walking, condition those muscles to keep the running form, and eventually, they will be retrained. It takes time, though, so be patient! :)

I have asthma, too-this is what I did. I could literally walk a mile faster than I could run it at first. (I still can't run it very fast but i'm working on it lol.) Slowing down drastically has really helped, and now that i've gotten used to the breathing while running slowly, i'm working on speed-I found it is easier to breathe right going faster now that I just having the basic breathing down. When I say slow, I mean slow. Today I started out at 5.0 on the treadmill and by the time I was done I was only going 3.8-I can walk faster than that lol, but it's helping me build endurance.

Have you tried the c25k program? It starts you out slowly and builds you up to running 30 minutes at a time.
  • giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options
    HI

I started running in Jan, and as ppl have said above just go steady and try and get into a breathing rythm that suits you.

i could not run for more than 3 or 4 minutes, at two months i moved up to about 10 minutes and three months in i can now run 30 -40 mins plus.

it will get easier for you, also when you get your breathing right some of it is a mind game, your brain tries to tell you that you need to stop but quite often you dont!.

my wife runs with me now and she could not run for more than about 2 minutes and she now runs for 10 -15 minutes at a time.

keep it up have fun!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    If slowing-down doesn't help (and I 2nd the recommendation to do the Couch-to-5k plan), then I would see your doctor. When I started running it soon became clear that my own EIA was becoming more than just EIA. My asthma was then recategorized as mild-moderate persistent asthma and I started a 2x/daily regimen of inhaled steroids (first I was on Advair, but the side effects of that were making me feel worse than the asthma, itself. I switched to Qvar a couple of years ago and haven't looked back). I still use my rescue inhaler on particularly bad days (when I have a cold or allergies or when the humidity is high).
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    All great advice above! Find what works for you, plus don't over think or stress about it, breathe out mouth, go slow and steady and it will come to you! :) and btw, Congrats on your desire to 5 k! So much fun!!! You'll LOVE it!!! :)
  • luannraymond
    luannraymond Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I heard running and breathing is easier by inhaling through the mouth and exhaling out the nose. I tried it and it works.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    One trick I use is to spend about 2 minutes breathing heavy before you start to run

When you start running you only start to breath heavy after a couple of minutes, after your oxygen level has dropped. Front load it.

Also, you will always hit a point where you breath heavy, but it passes once you get your second wind
  • amusco_rn
    amusco_rn Posts: 32
    Options
    I have asthma as well and in the 3 years I have been running, I have managed to wean down on my Albuterol to the point that I am not inhaler-dependent to exercise. I have found that chewing gum while running actually helps me to regulate my breathing. i still carry my inhaler as a security blanket but I havent used it while running in almost 2 years.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I would love to not be dependent on my Albuterol! That is awesome.

Thanks also for the thoughts about seeing my doctor.. maybe the diagnosis is off. My mom (she's a nurse) suggested that I do the same thing, but I'm hard headed, LOL. I'd love to be able to do it without medication at all.

I've had some friends do the couch-2-5k plan w/great results. I might jump in.

Thanks again.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Im the same as above with breathing on footfalls and mainly go by 2 in 2 out rate.

Give it a go - and it gives you something to concentrate on, or speak with your trainer

Good luck ;) and yes running is AWESOME!!!

This, and go slowly!! 2 in 2 out also works if you develope the pain in your side - don't aske me how, but it works...
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    One thing that REALLY helped me with my breathing was taking yoga classes. Yoga forces you to focus on your breath, and so using that practice while I'm running has helped me TREMENDOUSLY.

Also---go as slowly as you need to. Don't worry about time, just take it easy until your body adapts.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Thanks also for the thoughts about seeing my doctor.. maybe the diagnosis is off. My mom (she's a nurse) suggested that I do the same thing, but I'm hard headed, LOL. I'd love to be able to do it without medication at all.

Asthma is serious...sometimes deadly so. Asthma is not some mere inconvenience. Every year 4k people in the US die from uncontrolled asthma.