Experienced Runners... can you help a newbie? Foot issues

Options
I am really trying to be a runner. I can run, I am in pretty good shape but my feet are my worst enemy.

Last fall, I was up to a few miles but my feet gave me so many issues that I gave up when the weather got cold. I finished Insanity this past week. Woohooo! And since the weather is breaking and it is 5 K season, I really want to run more. I can run 3 miles or so but my feet again are in so much pain after. I went to a running store and he fitted me with a good pair of Brooks Trance, I have plantar facitis (flat feet) and with stretching, it has gotten A LOT better the last few days. I now have this pain on the top of my right foot. What could it be?

I need some advice because I am really ready to throw in the towel on running. I am icing and taking advil. Anything else? Resting? If so, how long? Am I just being my usual self and being impatient?

Replies

• tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If you actually have PF - then I believe rest is indicated. I have a few runner friends who have struggled with it and it has taken many many months of NOT running to heal.

The pain on top of your foot - where is it exactly? Are your shoes brand new? I can sometimes get a pain on the top of my foot right above where my arch sits when I get new shoes... or if my laces are too tight it creates a pressure point and can get pretty sore and bruised feeling....
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It could be that the arch of the shoe he fit you with is too high. I had PF when I was heavier (thankfully it does eventually go away) and I was fitted with some arch supports (I have high arches). When I would walk, the tops of my feet over the arches would be absolutely killing me. I finally took the inserts out and lo and behold, the pain went away.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    It is on the top outside about an inch below my ankle, it seems to hurt most when I point my foot up and in. Seems to run down to the back of my heal so I am thinking it is plantar facitis related.

The shoes aren't new, about 3 months old about the time I started Insanity.

Maybe I will go back to running store and get refitted and ask for advice. Now just to make some time. I will take a few more days off running, one day 2 now and see if it helps. It isn't black n blue or swollen
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I had various foot issues over the years. And spent years trying to diagnose myself by reading on the internet. My best advice is go to a good podiatrist/orthopedist. Although I'm sure they are doing their best to help, shoes stores are there to sell you a product. Don't give up on running till you consult with a good doctor.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you actually have PF - then I believe rest is indicated. I have a few runner friends who have struggled with it and it has taken many many months of NOT running to heal.

The pain on top of your foot - where is it exactly? Are your shoes brand new? I can sometimes get a pain on the top of my foot right above where my arch sits when I get new shoes... or if my laces are too tight it creates a pressure point and can get pretty sore and bruised feeling....

Yeah, I've found that tight laces can be quite uncomfortable! I've always had flat feet, so running is not my friend. I usually just push through the pain, which usually happens around 2 1/2 miles for me, but loosening the laces definitely helps.

Did the guy at the running store watch how you run, or just give you shoes? Do you know how you run, and what you land on (heel, mid-sole, ball)? Sometimes landing on your heel can be pretty jarring to your ankles and knees, especially if your foot is landing too far forward.
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Are you streatching before AND after your run? Tried ice to help with inflamation?
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    There are different ways to tie your shoes that might help with the pain on the top of the foot. If you've been fit correctly it may just be as simple as you are tying your shoes too tight.

This article was on RunnersWorld.com talking about alternative ways to lace/tie shoes in order to alleviate issues.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

I have issues with my 2nd toe and ended up discovering that it wasn't my shoes but my socks that were putting pressure on the top of the toe and nail. Still trying to figure out how to fix that problem!

Good luck!!