Farner's Market and Growing your own fruits and vegs

Options
Hello, I just started growing my own fruit and vegetable garden. I am new at gardening, and until they are ready to eat I just go to the local Farmer's Market to pick up as many fresh fruits and vegetables that are in season like strawberries, spinach, potatoes, kale, radish, carrots, daikon, swiss chard, cucumbers, etc. The only thing I need to buy at grocery stores are fish, ground turkey, chicken boneless and organic eggs, soy milk, whole wheat bread and non fat Greek yogurt.

Does anybody else do the same and/or have started their own gardening? I think its a great way to save money and its terrific knowing you can go right in the backyard and take what you need for that day all fresh and ready to eat!

Replies

• Always824
    Always824 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow thats a great idea... When you put it the way you do it makes it sound super awesome... too bad I don't have the space where I'm living at... Maybe when we move & the weather permits I will take it up ... Thanks for this post :)
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    I started my own garden this year - it's not very big (it's all container gardening), & I don't know what I'm doing, so I'll be amazed if I get anything from it, but I'm considering it a learning experience (although the stevia has sprouted & my radishes are thriving, so I must be doing something right!)
  • kkoshiro
    kkoshiro Posts: 69
    Options
    hmm...maybe you can buy small containers and grown em in there for now, Its probably hot anywhere you are plus you get wind...like you can grow jalapeno peppers. :):happy:
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I haven't even begun my garden but this year I am going to pallet garden. I came across shipping pallets which are untreated (yay!) and will work great.

Things I will be growing:

carrots
    artichokes
    okra
    squash
    zuccinni
    green beans
    sweet potatoes
    celery
    onions
    cucumbers
    leaf lettuce
    mint
    basil
    rosemary
    dill

Later I will plant beets, spinach, etc...

Sproutrobot.com is an awesome site, LOVE it!

I do not know if I will be growing corn this year. I had bad luck the last 2 years, and found a local farm that sells burlap bags full (avg 100 ears) for $10. It costs me more than that to grow the corn. I pre-ordered 2 bags for this year, can't wait to get them! I will not be growing canteloupe or watermelon either. Even though my county is known for the top producing watermelon county in the state, I can't seem to get it to grow <sigh>.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I am trying to grow herbs in my condo, so far it's a total fail. I think I have one plant of basil that has survived.

I was contemplating joining a CSA, but they are so damn expensive. Farmer's Markets here don't start till the end of May =(
  • kkoshiro
    kkoshiro Posts: 69
    Options
    I haven't even begun my garden but this year I am going to pallet garden. I came across shipping pallets which are untreated (yay!) and will work great.

Things I will be growing:

carrots
    artichokes
    okra
    squash
    zuccinni
    green beans
    sweet potatoes
    celery
    onions
    cucumbers
    leaf lettuce
    mint
    basil
    rosemary
    dill

Later I will plant beets, spinach, etc...

Sproutrobot.com is an awesome site, LOVE it!

I do not know if I will be growing corn this year. I had bad luck the last 2 years, and found a local farm that sells burlap bags full (avg 100 ears) for $10. It costs me more than that to grow the corn. I pre-ordered 2 bags for this year, can't wait to get them! I will not be growing canteloupe or watermelon either. Even though my county is known for the top producing watermelon county in the state, I can't seem to get it to grow <sigh>.

well I wish you lots of luck and dont give up on growing your garden cause its worth it in the end. :wink:
  • justagirl2013
    Options
    I am trying to grow herbs in my condo, so far it's a total fail. I think I have one plant of basil that has survived.

I was contemplating joining a CSA, but they are so damn expensive. Farmer's Markets here don't start till the end of May =(

Are they possibly root bound? Or not getting enough sun light? I have pots of herbs in my window sill that are about 8 years old, but I have to change the pots and break the root balls once per year. Also keep them trimmed up. Allowing them to grow willy nilly will create a leggy plant :)
  • justagirl2013
    Options

well I wish you lots of luck and dont give up on growing your garden cause its worth it in the end. :wink:

I wish you lots of luck too!!!

Oh, I'm not giving up, but I should have had a lot prepped by now :( I guess that's on the game plan for this week! I cannot wait for my squash to come in, probably one of my favorite vegetables!
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Living in a city, I can't grow a garden. :-( One of the cons of living in a concrete jungle.

I DO grow herbs, and had great luck growing sweet peppers on my balcony. :-) YAY! Mind you, I have two brown thumbs.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of farmers markets and I want to look into joining a veggie coop, especially when the summer months roll around.