Blackberries

Options
naugustyniak
naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
Hubby found a wild blackberry tree growing in our pine trees and brought a bunch in. Does anyone have a good healthy recipe for a cobbler or something sweet tasting for these? We both like them but I don't want to eat something unhealthy and he won't eat it if it tastes like it is healthy.

Replies

• tammym1964
    tammym1964 Posts: 11
    Options
    I made a wonderful blackberry pie using SPLENDA - I used an organic whole wheat ready made pie crust and just followed the regular receipe, substituting the SLPENDA for the sugar.. It tasted wonderful ! You can also use the SPLENDA for baking which cuts the sugar by half...
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle them with Splenda, and spoon them over angel food cake. You can get a fat free sugar free ones in the bakery section of your local supermarket near me that are pretty good.
  • organicem
    organicem Posts: 16
    Options
    I have made this and YES it is SOOOO good... not wicked low cal. but it is worth it, and much better than what you would buy at the store. :flowerforyou: (see eatingwell.com)

With a traditional high-fat pie dough, it's easy to go wrong because the dough must be chilled and rolled out while the butter or shortening is still cold - a relatively small window of time (especially for beginners). Nuts and nut oil replace most of the butter in this pie crust, so the timing is less particular. The dough doesn't need to be refrigerated, which cuts down on preparation time, and because it is rolled out between sheets of plastic wrap, it won't stick to the countertop and it can be easily lifted.

Makes 8 servings

ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 2 1/2 hours (including cooling time)

EASE OF PREPARATION: Challenging

1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/2 pounds tart apples (about 6 apples)
    2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (not thawed)
    1 recipe Walnut Pastry Dough (recipe follows)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan with nonstick spray.
    2. Combine lemon juice and vanilla in a large bowl. Peel, core and cut apples into 3/4-inch chunks, tossing them in the lemon juice mixture as you work.
    3. Mix 2/3 cup sugar and cornstarch and toss with apples. Add blackberries.
    4. Place 2 overlapping sheets of plastic wrap on a work surface. Set the larger disk of dough in the center and cover with 2 more sheets of plastic wrap. Roll the dough into a 13-inch circle. Remove top sheets and invert dough into the prepared pan, letting excess dough hang over the edges. Gently press the dough into bottom and sides of pan. Pull off plastic wrap. With a rubber spatula, scrape the apple-blackberry filling into pie shell.
    5. Roll out smaller disk of dough as above, making an 11-inch circle. Remove top sheets of plastic and invert dough over filling. Pull off plastic wrap. Press together edges of pastry to seal. With the tip of a sharp knife, cut 3 or 4 short slashes to vent steam. Moisten a pastry brush with water and lightly brush top of pie. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Place the pie on a baking sheet with sides.
    6. Bake until crust is golden and filling bubbles, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for about 1 hour. Serve warm or at room temperature.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 377 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrate; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 293 mg sodium; 221 mg potassium.

Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).

4 Carbohydrate Servings

MAKE AHEAD TIP: The dough will keep, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Return dough to room temperature before rolling.
  • organicem
    organicem Posts: 16
    Options
    this one sounds good too... :bigsmile: although I have not tried it yet... I think I might tonight!

A sorbet is the perfect showcase for this member of the raspberry family; berries ripen from late summer to early fall.

Makes 6 servings, 3/4 cup each

ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

1 cup instant-dissolving sugar
    2 tablespoons crème de cassis or black currant syrup
    2/3 cup water
    1 quart blackberries
    2 tablespoons lemon juice

1. Combine sugar, crème de cassis or black currant syrup and water in a medium bowl, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
    2. Puree blackberries with lemon juice in a food processor. To remove seeds, force the puree through a fine strainer into a bowl. Add the sugar mixture and mix well. If necessary, chill until cold. Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Alternatively, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth.)

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 174 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrate; 1 g protein; 5 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 168 mg potassium.

Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value).

2 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    use the heart smart bisquick - it's good stuff.