Do you burn calories if it is easy?

Options
RieBerg
RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
I am doing the 30 day shred. I have already completed it once in January, but have bounced back so I am doing it again. After a few days of getting back into it, the workout seems a lot easier. Does that mean I am not burning as many calories as I was when it was hard? My weight has not changed.

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    You're obviously burning more calories than you would just sitting around, but if your body has adjusted to the exercise you probably aren't burning as many.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Perhaps looking into the reasons you bounced back would help you maintain the lifestyle?

But to answer your question: I think that yeah, if it doesn't take much effort, you may not be burning as much fuel to accomplish the deed.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    FROM MY EXPERIENCE (I have very little knowledge in this area!!!) but I found that yes, according to my HRM as the work outs got easier to do physically (Ie as I got fitter and better at doing them), the less I was burning. So you have a couple of options,1, double up the program (repeat the level maybe or do level 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 back to back, 2 skip up to a later level of the program right away (if level 1 is too easy, just skip it and start at 2 for example), and/or, up the weights you are using, these things made me burn more and push a little harder, however if you are at the highest level with heavier wights, than I probably recommend you change it up for something else to get you body a bit confused again and get it working harder. That would be what I would do. Some of her other vids are pretty good too (Killer buns and thighs, 6 week 6 pack, and they are more advanced too)

Meg
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    From my experience, if it feels easier, then it is easier on your body. You will burn fewer calories. I went from burning over 300 per workout (HRM) to only burning 191 for the same workout.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    If it feels to easy, it probably is. Try something new. Maybe Ripped in 30?
  • RieBerg
    Options
    Well, I bounced back because school got the best of me. but I lightened my load and am off for the summer, so I am going to try to make this time permenant.
  • girlnumber57
    Options
    It's been a while since I have done the 30 day shred - but aren't there different levels? Could you move onto the next level? Or use heavier hand weights? Anything to create more of a challenge for you.
  • RieBerg
    Options
    Thanks all for the responses. I was afraid of this. Today is the first day is has seemed easier to me, so I might increase the weights.
  • RieBerg
    Options
    I am being kind of OCD about following the program exactly, so I can see results in 30 days.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Wait what? This program uses weights? **** yes!

Use as much weight as you can hold on to! Changes, they be happenin' yo. ;)
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I am being kind of OCD about following the program exactly, so I can see results in 30 days.

30DS felt easy to me, so I went with Ripped in 30. I didnt want to waste 30 days. I still didnt get much results and only burned about 150-170 calories a workout. That is why I upped to Insanity. Push your limits.
  • christyallgood
    christyallgood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you like JM you could try Exteme Shed and Sred. I have recently started throwing this one in rotation and according to my HRM I burn anywhere from 700 to 900 cals in that hour. Hopefully my HRM is pretty acurate...