Do you eat many canned foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Not really... chickpeas and other assorted beans and tuna from time to time... occasionally some pineapple or soup. My father buys a lot of canned diced or steamed tomatoes and tomato sauce, but I don't really use it when cooking..
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I have a few canned items:
    No salt added Black Beans
    No salt added stewed tomatoes
    No salt added diced tomatoes
    No salt added chili beans
    No salt added kidney beans
    Pumpkin (pureed, not the pie filling kind, straight pumpkin)
    Some cans of soup that I will probably not eat. Bought these forever ago.

I think that's it, everything else is fresh or frozen. I cannot stand nasty canned fruit or canned vegetables YUCK! **edit: except tomatoes, black, kidney and chili beans that is.

These are the exact same items that I eat from a can... And usually only in the winter. I plan on canning my own tomatoes this year to use through out the winter for sauce. I probably should soak and cook my own beans but it really is time consuming.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I tend to use frozen over canned. It's safer.

Every time I use the can opener, I get stampeded with cats.

Ha! Me too. They think it is super time when they hear the can opener.

I eat canned tomatoes and tuna. That is about all anymore. I hope to get rid of the tomatoes by freezing a bunch this summer so I will have the all winter when the tomatoes at the store are expensive and taste nasty. I don't see getting away from the canned tuna but I buy the low sodium kind and that is spendy so it is more of a treat anymore.
  • karmamaof2
    Options
    Only tuna and coconut milk, but I buy brands that use BPA-free cans. I have small children, and giving them as few contaminants as possible is a high priority for me, even if it means buying something that costs a bit more. We eat tuna less than once a week, so the added expense for BPA-free is minimal.
    I stopped buying canned beans years ago, when I figured out that I could get a 25lb bag of organic black beans for less than $1.35/lb. It takes under 30 minutes to cook a weeks worth in the pressure cooker, so not a huge investment of time either.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    please explain.. or was that a cat joke?
  • GO_NadZ_xO
    GO_NadZ_xO Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Salt reduced baked beans. They have a really low fat content and are surprisingly nutritious. They're actually pretty good for you :)
  • ILoveJesus72
    ILoveJesus72 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I use can items. Tuna, beans, tomatoes. If I use veggies I usually rinse them even though I buy the salt free kind. I'm not too overly concerned with yet another study that tells me about even more stuff I put in my body that shouldn't be there. It's just too hard to keep it all straight.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The only canned I eat is what I can in glass jars at home.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I only have tuna canned, and am trying to buy that in vacuum packs instead. I don't like the bpa that is released when the steam heats up the coating in the cans prior to the contents being canned. I had heard about a study that showed marked results in bpa increase for a family that ate only canned food in a week versus a family that had no canned food.

I believe there were baselines for each family member before the test. It was enough to convince me to not even bother with canned food. Also, I only eat natural and whole foods. Canned foods are processed and have less nutrients than fresh. I always eat fresh never frozen fruits and vegetables.. except blueberries as they are so expensive and I buy them fresh and store them in the freezer.

That's my story!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Soda cans are lined with BPA as well. Less than what is found in canned soups and veggies, but still used to prevent the soda from reacting with the aluminum.
  • XpeargrlX
    XpeargrlX Posts: 21
    Options
    Not many just a few like kidney beans, tomato paste, and stewed tomatoes.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Yes.....Just tuna and baked beans.......love baked bean sanga but I drain the sauce off........
  • lucky2too
    lucky2too Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Giving up canned soup...the sodium it through the roof. I guess for now tuna and chickpeas(for hummus). I think I'll home can or freeze some soup this summer.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    ChickPeas, peas, and sometimes soup are the only things I eat canned and its once a week also before I eat the chickpeas and peas I drain them and rinse them for a while to get rid of the extra salt. Ouhh and tuna (DRAINED)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    please explain.. or was that a cat joke?

Yes. I have seven cats. If I run the can opener, there's a swarm of carpetsharks all around me. :laugh:

But the frozen are also lower in sodium. I don't much care if I go over on sodium, but I'd rather go over because I used some buffalo or barbecue sauce on my chicken than because I used canned green beans instead of fresh or frozen. Or in other words, if I'm going to have a lot of sodium, I'm going to enjoy the flavor that comes with it! :happy:
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Very little canned stuff. Tomatoes, beans (black, pinto and kidney) and green beans. Sometimes I will cook up dried beans instead of buying the canned black or kidney beans.

Plastics (water bottles, soda bottles, storage containers) and the liners applied to tin cans are the major sources for ingested BPA. BPA leaches out very slowly at room temperature levels, but when it gets hot and in contact with food/liquids it does leach out much quicker. Part of the canning process does heat the canned food in the can to seal it. Canned soup like Cambells is cooked in the can.

Use glass storage containers, don't microwave in plastic or with plastic lids / plastic wrap over the food or use cook in plastic bags (boil in bag rice, steam in bag frozen veg or oven roasting bags) unless they declared free of BPA and phthalates free. Also getting a stainless steel water bottle will save you a lot of money in the long run if you tend to drink a lot of bottle water. Water fountains are still free!
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Not anymore. I got a BPA lecture from the licensed nutritionist I work with for our local public school district when she caught me eating Progresso soup one day. I did some homework on my own about it, and found out that BPA has been banned in the U.S. from all infant bottle manufacturing. Although the USDA/FDA says that the levels present in most canned items are not harmful to adults, other countries have banned it from being manufactured. I even contacted Progresso to find out their stand on the issue and was informed that only one brand name of theirs is BPA-free, and it 's something I wouldn't buy anyway. So while I leave the government to figure things out, I'm going to live in the knowledge that I have a clean endocrine system.

So now I buy dried beans instead of canned, and tomato products in glass jars instead. The only canned food in my cupboards is tuna and one can of diced tomatoes. The tuna predates my research, and the diced tomatoes were on sale and I forgot for a moment because I was thinking about making soup in the crockpot.

My fiancee is in for a surprise when we get married! He is a man of fast food and convenience; I am learning to scratch cook for us. My desire is for him to be healthy, too, and for it not to break the bank. I think we can do it!