I can NOT believe I used to eat like THIS!

Options
Omg... I am seriously sitting here shaking my head in disbelief. In all the time that I have been on MFP, I have never went to the database and compiled a menu of what I USED to eat... just to see the numbers... so I did it just now and I am seriously shocked. Before I got serious about weight loss, I never counted calories or anything... I just ate whatever I wanted, as much as I wanted, whenever I wanted. One of my favorite places to eat used to be Captain D's (haven't touched the stuff in a year now!) and this is what my typical meal from there would be - 3 chicken strips, extra hush puppies, extra fries, coleslaw and a whole cup (about 3 - 4 oz) of honey mustard sauce. I just added it all up and for that ONE meal, this is what the numbers look like:

Calories: 1,710
Fat: 115
Carbs: 140
Sodium: 2960

Wow... just.... wow! I can't believe I used to eat like that! What the HELL was I thinking?!!!!! Looking at THAT and then looking at what I eat NOW... I can really see how big of a change I have made!

Replies

• JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bump : )
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I'm still kind of struggling with my calories, but I used to eat approx. 3000 cals a day without even blinking.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    I hear ya. I'm still kind of struggling with my calories, but I used to eat approx. 3000 cals a day without even blinking.

I probably ate about 5,000 some days... maybe more. I'm so glad I finally realized what I was doing to myself!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I use to eat fast food for lunch every day while I was pregnant. My poor son!

What I use to get a lot from del taco was chili cheese fries and a double bacon burger. About 1400 calories for lunch.

That is almost what I eat in a whole day now.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    I use to eat fast food for lunch every day while I was pregnant. My poor son!

What I use to get a lot from del taco was chili cheese fries and a double bacon burger. About 1400 calories for lunch.

That is almost what I eat in a whole day now.

I know! Me too! That's what I was just thinking... I used to eat a whole day's worth of calories in ONE meal! Wow! And I ate like that when I was pregnant too! When I was pregnant with my twins, I constantly craved Captain D's and DQ. Now I feel bad about it : /
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    : )
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    typical breakfast 1/2 dozens eggs 1/2 pound of bacon 4 slices of toast 16 ounces of whole milk
    I am not sure just how many calories but I know this couldnt be good for me guess thats why I wound up at over 360 pounds
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have moments like this every time I look up an old food I used to eat in the database- like stopping at Jack in the Box before my night class once a week and picking up a Jumbo Jack with cheese and two tacos, with the buttermilk dipping sauce. Over 1200 calories before you even add a large sweet tea. And let's not even get into the macros. I'm horrified by what I used to eat. Sometimes I'll crave something and work my butt off beforehand to be able to afford it calorically, but as I learn more about the chemicals and effects of the foods to begin with, I don't even want to consider it.
    What kills me are the friends I have on this site and IRL who DO know this info, who SAY they want to change and lose weight, and then STOP USING MFP/LOGGING because they "think they have it under control" and then PROCEED to eat McDonalds for breakfast every morning. Sigh. /end rant
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I used to eat like that constantly, too, but i don't anymore! I could go to krystal (used to be my favorite fast food) and eat 4-6 krystals with cheese, a large sweet tea or soda, and a large order of fries with about 15 packs of ketchup on them! sometimes I'd even go get more! Its great that neither of us do that anymore though :) food like that is just a heart attack on a platter! Great to know you're eating healthier now! great job, im so happy for you! much luck in the future :flowerforyou:
  • Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    Yeah...that is a big WOW!!!! Glad you've seen the light and are taking care of yourself.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    yeah this is a problem in the modern world - we don't stop to think about it. I think it is really healthy to be aware of what you are eating. Good job and keep at it.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Good for you for making the change!

Off to look up some of my old fast food favorites!
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite lunches before joining MFP was Zaxby's Wings and Things.

1710 calories
    107g fat (22g saturated)
    2735 mg of sodium
    425 mg of cholesterol

I got ready to get one of those after starting MFP. When I got ready to log it, I quickly exited the drive thru and went next door to Chic-fil-a for a nice grilled chicken salad.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I easily ate 3,000-5,000 a day before I started MFP. I would get Chinese food and have a large hot and sour soup, sweet and sour chicken with fried rice and crab wantons. If I was depressed I would go buy half a sheet cake from the grocery store and eat the entire thing. It makes me so sad that I did that to myself.
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    One of the things that i love (yet despise so much) is the fact I can no longer think of fast food, eating out, etc without knowing that I should double whatever calories I think are in the foods. It's really ruined dinners out for me, and I prefer to cook at home now (Not a bad thing btw!).
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    I'm the same way. I used to plop down with bags of candy and just shove my face until I felt sick. I could eat a whole bag of lifesaver gummies without even realizing it. My boyfriend and I would eat fast food/ restaurant at least 6-7 times a week. (He still does. :( I'm trying to slowly encourage him to break that habit!) When I first got myfitness pal, I realized I was eating 3000 calories a day at minimum! It makes me wonder how I didn't put on any more weight than I did. I guess I just developed a fast metabolism. Great job on living a better lifestyle and congrats on all your weight loss thus far!

ETA: Chinese buffets used to be huge for me. I could easily eat 3 heaping plates plus their ice cream. *drools* I haven't gone once in over 3 months because I know I can't restrain myself when I see all that yummy "chinese" food.
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a entire ham and cheese sandwich before bed!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    right?! it's INSANE what you find out!!!!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I actually use the nutrition information to remind myself not to get the things I used to! The other day, a friend was ordering Chinese (a weakness for me) and I really wanted some but I had brought my own lunch. I entered what I would have gotten into the database and it was 1400 calories. My lunch was like 200-300, something like that. I guess you can imagine what choice I made. And the thing is, what I normally get for Chinese isn't even that terrible - kung pao chicken combo (with fried rice) and a small wonton soup.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I went to Captain D's today! :laugh: It was a serious craving, I haven't been there in years. But I decided to let myself do it. I really wish I could say "Wow, that was disgusting, I'm glad I don't do that anymore," but I can't lie. It was so yummy. :laugh: Terrible for me, obviously, and it beat my fat allowance to a bloody lifeless pulp, but still, so tasty. I'd feel more guilty about it but I eat fast food so rarely these days that I'm not going to feel bad about one ill-advised day. :)